Author Topic: While away on a business trip...  (Read 4666 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
While away on a business trip...
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
I was in Billings, MT last week at my employer's main office and came across this switcher on display at the airport. For a "stuffed and mounted" engine, it appeared to be remarkably complete, include the cab appliances, builders plates, and whistle. While I'm no expert, it looked to be in very good shape.

Now, if only it were a two-footer!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: While away on a business trip...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
Does look very nice, Ed --thanks for sharing. Anything left in the cab? I've got my eye on one way up in Minot, ND. Photos are scarce, but the ones I've seen show a remarkably intact locomotive. Planning a side trip next time I'm in the mid-west...always an adventure.

Stephen

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
The cab looked complete, but access was very restricted. I did see both gauges for the steam pressure and air brakes. I really couldn't get a good look at the backhead, but was encouraged by what I saw. (Especially comparing to the 470 in Waterville.) If I had more time, I might has stopped into the "Western Heritage Museum" that is adjacent to the loco for more info, etc.

Here's why I can't provide more info... note plexiglass, etc.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
Hi Ed,  Good photos.  It's nice they have the engine under cover.  The shelter looks like it was built to resemble an old train shed, great way to display a locomotive. 

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Yes, they did it right.
One idea that I had not seen before was that there was a concrete pad directly under the pilot for support. I didn't realize why they did that until I realized it was to hold up the pilot while idots like me climbed on the loco. The pilot is starting to rot and pull away from the frame - and the pad is keeping it in place.

Good ideas - in the event we ever have to stuff and mount a steamer. (Which, I pray, will be many, many, years from now - if ever.)

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum