Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 379999 times)

Bruce Mowbray

• Gandy Dancer
  • Just Another Day On The Job
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »
Next,

A main crank pin takes shape. To make these, I cut the material to the length of 2 pins. I then hold onto the rough material to make one pin, flip the material around and hold onto the finished end to make the second pin. When both ends are finished, I cut the two pins apart and finish up the saw cut ends.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

Bruce Mowbray

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »
These are the main crank pins and the lead crank pins before parting. Once they are parted, the second end will be semi finished and they will be turned between centers to make them true. The main crank pins will be threaded at this time to accept the jamb nuts that hold the rod retainer rings on.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

Bruce Mowbray

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Finally, after a full days work, all of the parts have been rough turned, parted, and the rod retaining caps have been cut.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA
Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:55 AM »
Wow, those are beautiful.  Thanks for the update.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »
Awesome, Bruce!! Beautiful work...thanks for posting!

Stephen

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
Bruce,

Absolutely beautiful work!  I have been looking for something to get me fired up in the pattern making department for this locomotive.  My Project CNJ 113 whistle project got completely out of hand but I should be finished with it shortly and get back to the driving wheel center patterns.  Your posts got my #11 adrenalin moving again.  I figured all energy was being directed to completing #9, so there wasn't much of a rush.  Now it is time to attack the pattern again.  I generally move faster when I see a need and some sort of deadline and you have set some things in place for me.  Also when I see others working on parts, I visualize the completed locomotive.  Up to this point I haven't been able to do this.

Is there anyone else out there working on parts for #11?

If I Googled Springville correctly, you live about 1 1/4 hours north of me here in White Haven.  Maybe we could get together and fire each other's enthusiasm.

Bernie

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
A question to you Bernie. Since you are going to make the pattern for the driver centers are they just spoked or do they have counter weights included?

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
Well, While not necessarilly parts, I have been doing fair amount of drafting.  Each one takes me about ten hours.  As nice as the drawings look, I don't think thats the kind of excitement your looking for.

I do agree seing parts is verry exciting!!!!  With that front axle done we could press on wheels and shrink on tires!  Now THATS worth getting fired up over!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:11:34 PM by Vincent "Lightning" LeRow »
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
Paul,

The lead drivers are spoked only.  There is enough weight in the crank to balance the rod.  I haven't looked at the drawings for a while, but there may be hollow areas in the crank(s) to accept lead.

The main drivers have counter weights.  I am going to make one pattern for both sets.  The pattern will come through with the counterweight attached, be rammed up in the foundry, and then the counterweight will be removed and the plain spoked drive wheel center will be rammed up.

Vince,

All parts of this project are important, the drawings being the first step without which we couldn't do all our work.  I have spent considerable amounts of time just studying the drawings I have.  Being a retired art teacher I appreciate the drawings very much.  They are the start of the dream!

Since this project seems to be taking off we should communicate more with each other to know what is currently happening.

Bern

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
Here's what Bernie's been working on...

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
I assume this is an outside frame locomotive with counterweights on seperate cranks outside the frames?
Keith

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
It's buried somewhere in this forum, but No 11 is a planned reconstruction of WW&F No 7, an outside frame 2-4-4 Baldwin of 28 tons.  We've been working on design and drawing for this project for many years- using the original erecting card, a smattering of BLW component drawings (not many), BLW standard practice books and numerous other locomotive and general design resources.  Bernie has been doing a spectacular job on pattern-making for several years now- completing a number plate, bell bracket, lead truck wheel center and now drive wheel centers.  Bernie also made the pattern, and had cast, No 10's number plate.  Eric Bolton, Vincent LeRow, Steve Smith and I have been doing finish drawings, all by hand on size C paper, as fast as I can kick out design sketches.  About 2/3 the drawings are complete, and the locomotive is completely designed (i.e. structurally and dimensionally figured out and sketched) except for boiler and brake rigging.  Lately I've been spending some time trying to figure the best way to manufacture equalizers. 

No 11 is an enormously fun project to work on, at least for me and I suspect the other guys involved.  The board is fully behind it- but no one makes any pretense about the project's priority.  No 9 is the priority right now- as promised to the membership for many years.  We hope that our infrastructure grows at the rate that the No 11 project progresses, such that 3 locomotives will be appropriate for our desired (typical) 2 train operation someday.  Our goals with No 11 at this time, as No 9 progresses, is to keep the project alive and progressing such that when No 9 is done, we're prepared to jump on some exciting parts of the project, which should in turn help with getting folks excited for fundraising.  For now that means getting the design and drawings wrapped up, getting some important patterns made (drive wheels and driving cranks), and getting a few juicy tidbits actually built (bell, lead truck wheel, etc). 

We're trying to be particularly careful with the project in regards to No 9- we are fully committed and excited about No 9 and don't want No 11 to overshadow those facts.  So for now it's a quiet but determined effort- it's not a secret but we're not shouting out loud (yet).

Jason

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
Will the bearing(s) be brass or roller? If they are brass, what are, if any, ways of lubricating the brass? I am thinking like grooves and such?
Rob

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »
AFIK The bearings are going to be brass.  they are lubricated with a purple grease that is sqeazed down from a grease cup over the bearing.  Underneath the bearing is a grease cellar which helps lubricate the axle as well by catching the gease that rolls out of the bearing.  It's essentially the same way the rods get thier grease, with the little cup on top that you turn untill the grease oozes out the side oof the brearing.  At least thats the way #4 works.

Jason will know better and probably explain it better as well. I suggest PM'ing him for more and better information.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Rob,
I have no idea what type of bearings are planned for No. 11...but standard practise for locomotives with plain friction bearings was to use bronze, not brass and the bronze was almost always lined with Babbitt metal. The Babbitt metal was hand scraped to fit the axle closely, and did have grooves chipped in to expedite oil flow.
Roller bearings present some problems, notably they are difficult to replace in the event of a failure. To change a roller bearing you have to remove the wheels from the axles. With Babbitt metal lined plain bearings you just drop the cellar, which is an oil reservoir at the bottom of the driving box, and you can then lift the bearing away from the axle without removing the wheels.
Keith