Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 384380 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Eric,

Zawol Foundry is still in business.  44 Gilligan St.  Wilkes-Barre, PA  18702  (570) 823-7522  Only a very short distance from the old Vulcan Ironworks where our #10 originated.

They also have a Facebook page.

Would your NJ "project" happen to be for a 2-8-0 under restoration at Pine Creek?
Moxie Bootlegger

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
I doubt it is for a 2-8-0 at Allaire....the Quincy and Torch Lake engine went back to Michigan some time ago......
But then....you never know.

Keith

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
Its a Porter 2-6-0 that ran in Panama. #46
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
Eric,

I answered your PM.

Bernie

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
While I was up in Maine and Pennsylvania, I finally got the chance to sit down with Jason and Bernie. Between the two of them, I got a slew of pattern projects to chew on, and some great insights to improve my pattern making as things go forward. I had to take some time after I got back from Maine to work on a few personal projects, but I'm able to devote the bulk of my free time for the last month of my summer to pattern projects.

I spent half a day making a pair of sleds to cut the draft for my patterns by machine planer in minutes, instead of hours with hand planes as I did with my first round of patterns. This obviously sped things up quite a bit, so within the first week and a half of work, I've been able to complete the fabrication of the pilot truck oil cellar, get pretty far along with the lead truck frame, and prepare most of the parts for the driving box oil cellar.

The sled on the right gets used first, and cuts a 2 degree taper along the length of (formerly) square stock until the taper extends the full width of the board. If the pattern requires, I flip the piece and place it on the 4 degree sled to cut the draft on the opposing face. I know Bernie and I use different construction methodologies, but if anybody ever can find this useful now or in the future, I hope it can save you some time.

Here's the pilot oil cellar. I'll actually assemble it over the coming academic year, since I can do the smoothing/finishing in an apartment.

The lead truck frame arches don't sit flush with the plane of the casting. The big upright sections are frame arches, while the shallower and wider pieces are the core prints which will be used to create the air space in the casting underneath the arches. The piece in the background is the core box shaping up. I still need to make some small pieces to add to the sides of the arches for the swing link bosses, and attach everything together. But this pattern is *nearing* completion- at least fabrication wise. Thats a 24" rule on the side, and a 12" up front for reference.

For all my patterns following the lead truck frame, I've switched to a marine grade plywood hoping it would be a lot easier to work with hand tools for the finer work than the cabinet grade stuff I used first. It has turned out to be a lot more consistent, but it sure is ugly!

In addition to wrapping up fabrication on the lead truck frame, I'm hoping to start work on the pilot truck journal box proper, finish the driver oil cellar, and perhaps start on the drive box. It is unlikely at best that I will make it to the drive boxes in the next couple weeks, but it gives me a nice goal.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:33:22 PM by Alan Downey »
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »
Wow! Great work, Alan. We need more guys like you in the program!

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »
Wow, Alan, great work, and fast!  Thanks so much!

Jason

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
Very impressive, Alan and thank you.

Ira Schreiber

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Alan,

Your work is fantastic.  As you know, all the patterns have to do is make good castings, not look pretty.  The less time spent on them, the better.  My shop has few machine tools, so I do things by hand and they subsequently take longer.  At this point in my life, I will not get any more, so I believe that you will overtake me in production and that is a good thing.  Keep it up.

Bernie

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll try not to get too distraught over ugly plywood, and keep chugging away.

Once we start to have whole assemblies of patterns complete, it might be an interesting picture to see everything lined up and placed in a way that gives some skeleton to the locomotive. Sort of like how crash wreckage gets "re assembled", but in a much less morbid context.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
All, the latest from Bernie's shop. These are the patterns for No 11's Center Body Bolster & Core Box. Thanks, Bernie!!

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »
Bernie, nice work - as always!  Does this set of patterns make two different parts? The body-mounted bolster as well as its mate on the truck?

Dave Crow

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Stephen,

For the unteenth time, thank you for posting my photos.  This would be an impossible task for me.  I look for the day in the not too distant future when we start seeing castings.

Dave,

This is only for the frame center body bolster.  The outer tapered parts are machined flat to fit between the frame pieces. The larger diameter round section is machined to fit onto the truck bolster pad which I assume is similar to the one we put on the TCDA trucks a few work sessions ago.  My next group of patterns tentatively will be all the castings for the trailing truck.  First, I have to do the intermediate body bolster casting pattern, but it is not as complicated as this one and shouldn't take as long.  I told Jason to forward the truck pattern drawings to me when they are ready.

Bernie

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2013, 06:40:32 AM »
Happy to help, Bernie! This "official" No 11 thread has had over 35,000 views! I'd say people are VERY interested
in this project!  :)

Stephen

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »
Hi Bernie,

I made drawings for most of the castings required for the rear truck including the center casting (the pieces out at the end of the bolster that has a circular hole in it) and the the pivot casting.  Because I had drawn the parts to scale, I believe Jason was planning to mark them up by the percentage required to account for shrinkage as the casting cools.

I look forward to seeing the patterns for the bolster parts; with enough donations, the flat stock and angle steel required for the rear frame and truck could be purchased.  Wouldn't it be neat to see the rear portion of #11 sitting in one of the roundhouse stalls?  Dream even bigger and have the tank made and mounted on the frame!

Dave