Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 275775 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
As much as I'd like to agree, if we all gave to #11, the rest of the major projects would become underfunded. We have #9 to finish, bathrooms to construct and a parking lot to build before #11 will show up. And that list could also include a Roundhouse and Turntable to keep the Locomotives in. It is great to keep some funding going for this project, so it continues to progress, but will be quite a while before I earmark any of my donations for it.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
How much is in that fund at present?

We have $50 in the #11 fund right now.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:15 PM »
FIFTY?   That's it?   If we did the 11% bit just ONCE, we could then let it rest and go back to funding the other projects Mike mentions. We're not prioritizing it.  But let's at least give the #11 Fund a running start.  It would not have any further effect on the ongoing project funding. Just a one time kick in the pants. 

Come on, who's up for it?  There must be someone else out there.   

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »
Dick, Mike is correct, and this is why I wrote "we're almost ready" in my initial reply. The plan is for everything concerning the No 11 project to "ramp up" once No 9 is finished. Several members (on their own) have already donated funds, time, patterns, drawings, etc., so the $50. James mentions is merely "today's" balance. 

I'm sending you a PM with more details...

Stephen

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
I guess everyone knows how much I contributed in my above mentioned post.  I know we need lots of money for this project, but many other things can be done.  We are going to need more pattern makers and machinists to get this locomotive done.  The more that is contributed by volunteers, the lower the overall cost of the locomotive will be.  Outside labor costs are extremely high.  We have a machinist with access to a big shop here in Pennsylvania who is just waiting for raw material.

I have been involved with this project since October 2006 when I was introduced to Jason by Wayne.  Over the years, I have made several involved patterns and have from 500 to 1000 total hours in them.  I am currently working on the cranks which should come up in Arpil.  I have paid for all the materials myself and along with Wayne paid to have the bell bracket cast which is now on display in the freight station.  I wish I had known about the foundry in Auburn, as it would have been much cheaper than the big foundry we had them cast in down here.  We both have $1000-$2000 in castings, wood, supplies and tools which we have donated.  I'm sure the commercial prices for the patterns I have made would range from $10,000 to $25,000.

What I am saying is, if you want to see this locomotive get done, get involved!  The reason I am so involved is that since I live down here in PA, there isn't much I can do up in Maine on the physical property of the WW&F.  I would also like to state that I am not a commercial pattern maker.  I learned the hard way when we needed them at the WK&S and later at Project CNJ 113.  Just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean you can't learn.  The whole railroad at Sheepscot was built that way.

Bernie

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
There's about $6000 in the project so far, not counting the value of Bernie's patterns.  The $50 is just what we have in cash dedicated to the project.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
A good bit of funds (that were donated for #11 over the last few years) were used on the construction of the pony truck wheelset.  Monies were used for the axle, cast wheels and tires.   The lead truck wheelset is the largest part of #11 to be built so far.

Stewart
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:30:10 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Win Nowell

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
I have been admiring Bernie's pattern work for some time. There is one thing that bothers me 'tho on the latest picture of the driver for #11. There is no provision for the crankpin! A drive wheel is not of much use without a crank!

I know that this project is being somewhat kept under wraps for the time being for financial reasons but it would be nice to know who are the leaders of the project. We know Bernie is the pattern maker and I assume Jason is probably the project manager but he is already overloaded with rebuilding #10. I have heard rumors that someone is doing the drafting and castings have been ordered for the front truck so someone must be doing some machining.

I am not being picky, just curious. Although I don't get up as often as I would like I am still interested.

Win Nowell

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
Hi Win,

The difference in wheel centers is because #9 is an inside frame locomotive with crankpins on the wheels and #7 (which #11 is based on) was an outside frame engine.  The crankpins on an outside frame loco go on the counter weights outside the frame so there's no crankpin on the wheel center.

Stewart
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:34:10 PM by Stewart Rhine »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
Bernie is working on the crankpins/counter weight patten.  He sent me a picture - great looking pattern.  Massive looking too, much like #6/#7.

Win Nowell

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
OK - Thank you both for straightening me out! Now I've got to find some photos to wrap my head around that one!

Win Nowell

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
Take a look at the locomotive photographs in the original railway section of the museums website.  There is a photo of #7 showing the cranks and counterweights.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Stephen,

Thanx for posting the picture of the crank pattern.  What is shown are the two halves of the main crank.  I am working on the lead crank and when the construction of that one is done, I will paint on the finish of both and then photograph them together for everyone to see.  There are also 5 core boxes to make.  The lead crank has a smaller counterweight and will not be cored for a lead filled pocket as will the main one.

All this talk about #11 keeps my juices flowing and keeps me focused on the project.  Remember if there are any more people out there who can make patterns, we can use more.  All of mine are donated, including materials.  Remember that it is going to take alotta money to make this locomotive and for all those who are talking about building new locomotives, here is your chance to help in some way.  I have explained my position in many previous posts.

Bernie

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
How about posting this on RyPN with a much larger readership?