Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 275761 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2011, 09:49:30 AM »
Thanks, Bernie -I'll try and put something like that together. Here are a few pics taken in Bernie's shop during the creation of this pattern...

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:18:09 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Thor Windbergs

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:52 AM »
I did a short search of the group and didn't find a really description of the Design of the No.11 which pattern, Locomotive builder is being copied? Are there any complete CAD or illustration of the project? Have you considered releasing the drawings to the modeling world to create interest and excitement, people could buy copies of the drawings with receipts going to the project and then when No.11 becomes public then people can show up with their models to pose...

Stephan please keep posting more pictures of the No.9 rebuild they are great quality and show cool details that you would never see like how the frame has extra bolt in piece for the cylinder saddle, not baldwin practice...

cheers
Thor
www.thorsteamworld.com
Facebook: Thor Windbergs
Volunteer G&L RR 86-88
Fireman/Engine Watchman D&S 90-94
Member Frankfurter Feldbahn Musuem, feldbahn-ffm.de
Member IFPPC (Society for Preservation of Perus Pirapora Railroad) Brazil
Member German Standard gauge Group www.eisenbahnfreunde-zollernbahn.de

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:27 AM »
Thor, Loco 11 is a copy of the WW&F's locomotive #7, a Baldwin-built engine.  #7 was a "modified Forney" - a 2-4-4 RT.  We have a set of plans which would have come from the Baldwin archives (which I believe is located at RR Museum of Pennsylvania).  The archive owners would have the exclusive rights to reprint the plans, not us.  Nice thought, though.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2011, 09:08:44 AM »
James et al, I believe the DeGolyer Library at SMU has most of the Baldwin steam archives...
http://smu.edu/cul/degolyer/collections2.htm

Stephen

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
I believe that what the RR Museum of the State of Pennsylvania has, is the Broadbelt collection of glass plate negatives of Baldwin builder's photographs. A good place to get a copy of the builder's photo...as the museum sells copies. Those old glass plate negatives give you remarkable detail.

Keith

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
Stephen....Hussar, that is: Some years back you posted a photo of WW&F No. 7 in which you had changed the number on the cab from 7 to 11, I guess with Photoshop. As I recall, it was a nice picture. Would you perhaps still have that image? I was thinking it might be interesting to Thor, and to others to have started visiting the Forum since that time.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »
Ooops! I forgot that the picture is already in the Build No. 11 section of the WW&F website. Sorry 'bout that.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2011, 08:10:34 AM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:12:19 AM by Stephen Hussar »

Thor Windbergs

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2011, 02:59:35 AM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feed back, just found the specs for No.7 and 2-6-2 No.6 in the Baldwin order books. If anybody doesn't have these let me know I will gladly send you the zoomed and cropped pdfs that I secretly prepare at work... ::)

So for future projects and documentation of our locomotives in Brazil, I'd like to ask the group if anyone knows of drawings or detail pictures of the Eames vacuum brake equipment that was delivered on a lot of the Maine 2fters? We found the original patent documents which have pretty good illustrations but not the same as drawings or of scalable pictures.
I have seen reference to Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad and Predecessors, Equipment and Manufacturers, Vol. I or II by Jerry DeVos. which said something about Eames but at $60 and oversees shipping it is alot on a gamble. Can someone recommend a source, book or confirm that there is enough info to worth it?

I am scouring the Baldwin records for other 2ft/60cm engines and there are some interesting ones coming to light in Mexico and other South American customers, searching for them would be hard since most were bought through brokers so I find just going through the records page by page is best. If anyone is interest I will share.

Two more questions, anybody have experience ordering pictures and alike from Pennsy Museum Broadbelt collection? I can't seem to find an indication of typical prices, delivery times and payment options.

Last question, anybody have an idea which 2-4-4 Bachmann used as the prototype for their outside frame models or is it a cross between inside/outside locos?

Thanks
Thor
Facebook: Thor Windbergs
Volunteer G&L RR 86-88
Fireman/Engine Watchman D&S 90-94
Member Frankfurter Feldbahn Musuem, feldbahn-ffm.de
Member IFPPC (Society for Preservation of Perus Pirapora Railroad) Brazil
Member German Standard gauge Group www.eisenbahnfreunde-zollernbahn.de

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
Thor,
If you are able to access Google, I found some great drawings by searching for "Eames Vacuum Air Brakes" and "Eames Vacuum Air Brake Ejector".  Take a look at this link: 

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ah1PAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA141&dq=Eames+Vacuum+Air+Brake+Ejector&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Eames%20Vacuum%20Air%20Brake%20Ejector&f=false

Dave Crow

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
I know that various parts are being produced for the planned WW&F locomotive #11.  Has a dedicated building fund been created to set money aside so that when work begins in earnest there will be funds on hand?  I'm sure many members and friends are eagerly awaiting the completion of #9 so that the new locomotive project can move into the shop. And I'm equally sure they'd be willing to toss in some money up front.

May donations be made specifically for that purpose and so noted, or will that add too much to the bookkeeping?  I think that it's never too early to get a jump on what probably will be a long project, and get some funding in the bank. What say you all?

Richard

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
Dick, it is an official project, and there is a "dedicated column" in the books for No 11 funding -so donations toward No 11 are happily accepted! Good timing for your posting as we're almost ready to start fundraising in earnest!

Stephen
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:04:12 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Well that's good news.  At the same time, we don't want to shortchange other ongoing projects which may need a final boost over the top. 

If every member were to donate just 11% (#11, get it?) of their tax refund when it comes back in April, I'll bet we could put a nice tidy sum in that column of the bookkeeper's ledger.  What do you think?  I'd be up for it. How many others can we get to make a similar pledge?

Richard

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
During the annual fund raiser, I requested that mine go to the #11 project and my thank you note stated that it did go into that fund. 

Bernie

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
How much is in that fund at present?

Richard