Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Allan Fisher

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Work and Events / 2008 Brushcutting
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
The entire 2.5 mile Right of Way from 1000 feet south of Sheepscot Station to 1200 feet north of end of track has been completely cut. This work was accomplished by the same OLD crew, with a couple of newcomers, and was finished on August 31, 2008.

If we had had all of the 10 museum owned brushcutters manned (or womaned) on brushcutting week back in July, this annual project would have been finished weeks ago.

It is time for our volunteers to step up to the plate. This years revenue passenger statistics show that $4.00 a gallon gas has had little effect on our visitors - BUT - our volunteer hours have dropped off by a substantial number this summer.

Let's all pledge to give the WW&F a day, a week, or whatever we can next year so that we can continue with the splendid progress  that the museum has been able to accomplish.

Work and Events / Re: Saturday's rail moving party
« on: September 04, 2008, 07:08:21 PM »
75 pieces of 60 pound rail with joint bars will be arriving on next Wednesday, and after unloading we will be reloading the truck with the 70 pound and other scrap rail for credit by Kovalchick.

Work and Events / Re: Trout Brook Station - Official Work Thread
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »
Trout Brook Bridge location is about 1200 feet south of Rt 218 crossing - and we have cleared a 50 foot right of way in the last few years between Rt 218 and the bridge crossing location. We will be brushcutting the right of way in that area again in the next couple of weeks, in preparation for the joint SVCA/WW&F Septemberfest event at Alna Center on Sunday , September 28th from 10am to 4pm. Come join us. The price of a WW&F ticket will include food, children's activities, exhibits from local farmers and businesses,and two escorted walks down the mountain and along the new Carleton (Trout) Brook Conservation Trail. Trains run on the hour.

Monson Railroad / Last years of the Monson
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
On August 22, 1935, H. E. Salzberg Co. , scrappers of the SR&RL, wrote to Sup't Morrill wondering if he had made inspection of equipment offered for sale at Phillips.

On November 15, 1935, O.M. Vose sent prices on SR&RL equipment.

               Reo Bus       $300
               Chevy Bus    $200
               "T" Ford       $100
               "A" Fords belong to Vose

Source: Bob Hungerford files


Kennebec Central / Re: Government Coal Dock at Randolph
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
There were only two government coal docks used by the KC at Randolph. The first was built for the railroad to serve and was finished in early July 1890. It was badly damaged by ice flow on March 8, 1896 - but still partially usable.

The second Randolph government coal shed was finished in early October 1896. It was 70' by 120' and had a capacity of 2500 tons of coal. This building lasted until the end of operations on the KC, although the roof and staging platforms were modified two or three times.

At Togus, coal was received in three different coal sheds. The first preceded the KC and was filled by horse drawn wagons until the KC took over in Sept 1890.

A new shed was built in July 1894, and the final shed with an inclined KC track into it was built in August 1899. This building survived two coal fires to last until after the KC ceased operations.

Source for above: Fourtin Powell research material in the WW&F archives.

Kennebec Central / Government Coal Dock at Randolph
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
Next question - how many transhipment coal docks (barge & skows to KC) were there during the time the Kennebec Central operated? (1890 - 1926)

AND - How many coal storage buildings for the Kennebec Central delivered coal were there at Togus?

Kennebec Central / Re: Kennebec Central Passenger Stations
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »
According to Fourtin Powell's extensive research, there was only one depot building at Randolph and Togus for the entire period the railroad was in operation, and two station buildings at Chelsea - the first built in Sept 1890 and burned by vandals on May 1, 1911, the second was built in 1925.

Work and Events / Re: Trout Brook Station - Official Work Thread
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »
The Sheepscot Valley Conservation Association, which owns the property on either side of our right of way, is putting in a parking lot for their new Carleton Brook Trail, which will cross our right of way and follow the Trout (Carleton ) Brook up to its source.

Although the trail will not be dedicated until October, there will be two organized walks down the Mountain from end of track and along Trout Brook during the Jointly sponsored SVCA/WW&F Septemberfest all day Sunday, September 28, with food free food and activities included in the Train ticket price.

Kennebec Central / Kennebec Central Passenger Stations
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »
The Kennebec Central had passenger station buildings at Randolph, Chelsea, and Togus. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many different station buildings there were at each location over the 36 years of the road's existence.  (Birmingham Road and Pottsville Flag Stops did not have railroad buildings)

Museum Discussion / Re: Track availability
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »
We have this problem of trying to remember that the Discussion Forum only represents 5% of our members, and answering every concern only informs that 5%. That's why we use the newsletter to tell everyone what is going on six times a year.

Let me assure you that the Board has had me hunting rail constantly for the last two years so that we can "buy " ahead. Leads in South Carolina (two) and New Hampshire are currently on the front burner.
With the annual capital campaign letter due out next week, you will see that we are providing enough money to buy extra rail if it becomes available.

In the meantime, we believe we have an assured source of rail for this October, that with trade-in credits  will not break the bank. Stay tuned!

Kennebec Central / Link and Pin Injuries
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:00:06 AM »
Did you know that at least seven train crew employees on the Kennebec Central had crushed hands or amputated fingers due to link and pin mishaps?  Considering that there were less than 20 train crew employees in the the entire history of the KC, this leaves little doubt of the danger of these couplings.

2 of the 7 employees had two accidents of this sort. 

Source: former Life Member Fourtin Powell newspaper research.

Museum Discussion / Re: Annual picnic - AA
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
Les Fossel will be staging his AA Ford Truck at Alna Center during the picnic , and also using it to take W&Q Shareholders to their annual meeting at the Alna Meetinghouse at 2pm Saturday.

Harry Percival owned a half share in this truck until Les bought him out.

Moderator Announcements / Re: New discussion forum
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »
Received Ed's email OK.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]