Author Topic: March 2021 Work Reports  (Read 16334 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: March 2021 Work Reports
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 27:

* Alna Center cleanup - in prep for Easter trains, some junk was cleaned up from the area using the F-350 (and its lift gate!).  While others worked at that, Mike worked on the Kubota to get it started (which it wouldn't do).  The crane truck was also moved out of AC to Sheepscot.
* Machine shop: The reorganization continues (just like at work except ours costs less money).  The Milwaukee by the Bay 3 door was rotated, and Alan was working to try to take apart one of the lathes.
* Boxcar 56: Marcel and crew were working on the boxcar.
* Electrical building: Zack was putting finishing (non-electrical) touches on the inside of the building.
* Operational meeting: An ops planning meeting to figure out the operating days and themes for the year.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 27:... * Operational meeting: An ops planning meeting to figure out the operating days and themes for the year.
As our leadership plans four our operating days and themes, and I suspect the details of the work Saturdays, I wanted to complement one of our younger members.  Dan Malkowski, who has now grown up and will be taking a leadership roll of the tie replacement crews.  As I reflect on the the various forum posts and news letters, I see Carlos Steinke who, with his father, has taken a strong roll in our shop machine renovations.  I am sure there are more of our young folks who, like Jason, have grown up with our Museum and are now putting their experiences to work to preserve our history.  Please forgive my having not named the others I am sure I have missed, but they are noticed. I, for one, am proud of each of them.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
A couple of other work items today.

Fred Morse split up the rest of the logs today, with the help of Dwight Winkley.  Here Fred moves the last tractor load over to the split wood pile near the Sheepscot section house this morning.  Note in the background work has started to clear the site of our planned engine/round house.  B&SR No. 8 and Monson No. 4 have been moved away from the area of the turntable.

The letter/sign board that greets our visitors outside our restroom building had badly faded after years of exposure to the strong summer afternoon sun, as seen in this view.

An application of leather shoe dye today has improved its appearance, which despite the glare can be seen here.  A small test had been made the previous week on the lower left corner of the above photo.  That's Monson No. 4 on the ramp track to the left.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2021, 08:33:41 PM »
We made a huge improvement at Alna Center. As James said, we discussed what could be done to improve the looks. It did not look like a lot, but by the time they were done, the truck was loaded. Then after lunch, the extra cement was loaded in the truck and hauled to Sheepscot, and some low areas were filled by hand and rocks lugged to the wall.

The Kubota is putting up a fight. The rebuilt injection pump was installed,  but the book to check the pump timing was home. So, next week I will check the timing if I can, and switch back to the old injectors. It chugs like it wants to run..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2021, 09:31:17 AM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday 30-31 March 2021.

*  Sheepscot campus clean up
*  #52, snow plow removal/storage, brake adjustment.
*  Shop work:  Vacuum brakes, Air Compressor move (pending)
*  Vehicle repair, test (Tamper)

Rules and Standards for Operations

IV.   Train Signals (Rules 17-26)

26.   Blue Signal Protection of Workers

a.  Blue Signal Meaning.
        A blue signal displayed on or in advance of a piece of railroad equipment indicates
        that Employees are under or around it.

b.  Required Use
        Blue Signals must be used as prescribed in “Rule 37”

c.  Required response.
        When thus protected, unless the Employee placing the signal grants permission other wise:
        i.    Blue signaled equipment must not be move or coupled to.
        ii.   A blue signal on track must not be passed.
        iii.  A blue signal shop door must not be opened.
        iv.  Cars may not be placed within (3) car lengths of a displayed blue signal.

37.   Employees Under, Behind or Between Cars
        e.   In Buildings
              When the door is closed, display a Blue Signal on the inside and the outside faces of the door.   
              When opening the door, protection shall be rearranged per Part (d).

Note:  When a door flag (signal) is up, no one should even enter the track as most building track leads
           are 3 car lengths or less in length outside the building.

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
With these winds we are having today, a run up to Alna Center with a couple of chainsaws will likely be needed!

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2021, 08:32:36 AM »
Work completed Tuesday and Wednesday 30-31 March 2021.

Tuesday:

*  Locomotive #9 prep for Saturday Operations  (Roger, Wes C, Dan)
*  Yard switching (W/Loco #9).
*  Tamper (Wilma) repair and maintenance, brakes adjusted (right side)
    brakes tested (yes it now stops)  (Brian W, Steve L)
*  Shop work  (Alan, Jerry and Carlos)
*  Vacuum brake work  (Jonathan, Randy)
*  Machine shop Bay #1,  oil drum brought in and drums moved
*  Sheepscot campus clean up, Roundhouse prep.  (Brendan, Fred, Brian W, Steve L)
*  #52, the snow plow had been remove and stored for the season (Brendan, Steve L, Brian W)

Wednesday:

*  Main line checked and cleared for Saturday operations  (Steve L, Dan, Chuck)
*  Mountain Extension walked/cleared  (Steve L)
*  Rail inventory begins (Steve L, Chuck)
*  Tie changing (Dan, Bryce)
*  Vacuum brakes  (Jonathan, Randy)
*  Parking lot clean up  (Brendan, Fred, Steve L, Chuck)
*  Archive work  (Linda)
*  Journal box inspections/oiling  (Phil B) 

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »
Fantastic  progress, weekday crews!  I can't wait to rejoin you again...