Author Topic: September 2019 Track Construction  (Read 28196 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: September 2019 Track Construction
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
The bridge is in sight!

Jeremy Jordan

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
Nice work!  :)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
There is now plenty of rail in place to keep spiking teams busy first thing Friday morning of Fall Work Weekend as the rail train starts to put out the next cycle of ties and rails.  If I counted correctly, there's 560 track feet of new ties and rails put down this past week.  The first 260 feet or so has been fully spiked on the east rail and safety spiked (every fourth tie) on the west rail.

Thanks for the photos, Brendan.
What–me worry?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
Great work.  In the last picture I see the insta-track for the bridge.  Clever tools.  You guys are sooooo smart.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 08:26:51 AM »
A pipe bar clamp with square steel tubing for a spacer. Ingenious. How are they set in place?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »
RE: FWW Parking - I see in the BOD reports that we have a pumpkin event at the same time as FWW.  What is the plan for members parking vs. event parking?  Also, have we considered having track personnel park up at Alna Center in order to relieve congestion at Sheepscot?
Moxie Bootlegger

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
Volunteers on Sat/Sun are encouraged to park in the newly-completed (or will be completed) West lot at Sheepscot.
Other locations for parking may be announced as the FWW approaches. This could include Alna Center, Fossel Access Road, the field at 218/Cross Road, and near the 218 crossing (but NOT Midcoast Conservancy's Trout Brook Preserve lot.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
I typed this the same time Ed was responding, and decided not to edit it. Leaving it as it for clarity.

The parking was discussed at the same meeting. Volunteers are encouraged to park in the corner lot of 218 and Cross Rd. and in the new west lot. Those that desire can park along Fossel access Rd, being mindful it may be soft in places, and others need to turn around to get out. Limited parking up there though. We are asking that no one parks on the grade or at the Conservancy parking lot during the work weekends. There is limited parking that has been offered by the land owner across 218, next to the dirt driveway, called Peaslee Rd.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:06:18 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Barb and I really appreciate the photo progress reports as it is very hard for us to travel.  Oh that South and North Stations would get connected by rail!  It would make so much easier on we travel-challenged folks.  To travel clear to Brunswick on one train would be ideal.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
Great advanced trackwork organization, progress. It's apparent.
Da Bridge now looks definitely closer.
Excitng.
Love it!  ;D ;D.

Two weeks til FWW!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:53:53 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
Regarding FWW parking, we spent quite a bit of time thinking about, writing and editing the following section of the FWW article in the current Newsletter:

Parking. On Saturday and Sunday, we will be operating public trains, including Pumpkin Trains in conjunction with SeaLyon Farm at Top of the Mountain.  During these two days, we encourage volunteers to park in the marked field by the corner of Route 218 and Cross Road to allow the public to park near the station. Friday and Monday, parking directly on the Sheepscot museum campus is welcome.
Unless asked otherwise, please do not park in the area of Trout Brook. We do not want to impact the Midcoast Conservancy’s Trout Brook Preserve parking lot or block right-of-way access at Route 218. Please take the volunteer trains from Sheepscot.

Since the article was written, much work has been completed on the new west lot at Sheepscot, so it is now an option for volunteers Saturday & Sunday during Pumpkin trains, in addition to the lot at the corner of Cross Road and Route 218.
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »
Perhaps a couple of quick and dirty signs for the various parking areas would be appropriate. One pointing from the current parking lot to the new parking stating "Volunteer Parking," as well as one at the lot at the corner of Route 218 making a similar statement. I remember the last time we used the corner lot, and there were only one or two other vehicles parked there. It might even be necessary for someone to take on the role of "Parking Attendant" to direct volunteers to the correct place!

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
It also needs to be mowed in such a way that it's OBVIOUS as a parking lot...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »
Mow so the long grass makes parking spot dividers :-)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »
I also noticed yesterday (Fall Festival) that the connector drive between the main parking lot and the new west parking lot was nearly blocked by cars.  We will need to have signs and cones to keep that route open as well as signs to the new entrance on Cross St.  Also possibly someone actively managing parking during Sat/Sun of FWW