Author Topic: Getting the passenger car back inside  (Read 10773 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the passenger car back inside
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »
I do not know whether we have another frog and pair of points on hand, but I am pretty sure that Dave Crow and I will be unable to manufacture more at The Baltimore Streetcar Museum shop. Do any of our new machines have the capability to machine the necessary parts?

I think the unanswered question at this point is how the proposed track will be used. If it's only for placing some piece of rolling stock on display, storage of basket cases and parking for work equipment, that's one thing. But if it's to be a track in regular use for switching or moving equipment in and out, that's another. What's the answer?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on another thread that it was stated we had a source for new frogs and switchpoints available to us now.  If true, then we should look at the switch with the most wear and replace it and use the old switch for the misc. stuff track.
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »
Actually, I think there are still parts for a third 33# frog (we made three of them), and we had bent rail for a fifth switch point; we ran out of time to machine it in Baltimore.  Jason and crew were supposed to make the 6th point so that longer points could be installed to replace the "mine rail" points going into Bay 1, I believe.

Dave Crow

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »
There are plenty of shops around that manufacture switch points and frogs. The difficulty is in finding one that can work with the smaller rail sections that we use. 33, 40 and even 60-pound rail is pretty much obsolete in the real world. The last time I needed to get us 60-pound switch components, I had to try three places before I found one with the necessary capabilities.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
We could probably machine another set of 33# points here in Baltimore, but the rails would have to be delivered pre-bent, ready to machine.  Several of us would have to do a marathon weekend, machining through the night, so we only use the 8-foot mill for one weekend.  A lot of time was lost when we had to set up and take down the clamps and rail at the beginning and end of each machining day that Wayne and I had at the shop.  Most of the machine steps for the points, if done straight through, could be accomplished in 8-10 hours per point.

Dave Crow

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
If we can find, make or buy a new set of points and frog we could put them where the mine set is by the water tank. The mine set could then be used for the new siding off the woods track.   The main line and run around track would then have a smoother route.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 09:19:41 PM »
Apparently, a new spur, off the woods track, will be built between the car barn and the restroom building. What for?
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 09:44:51 PM »
Storage Paul. We have worked around the lack of storage since we got rid of "track 7". This used to be our catch all. Now the Woods Track is, and every time something comes and goes, everything had to be moved. The new track will help solve that problem.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 10:21:21 AM »
Could a stub switch be used? It would elminate the need for points.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
That would be up to the Track Department..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
Whatever choices of track are used, I hope the Rangeley parlor car is given indoor storage when it arrives from Portland. It is a one of a kind parlor car from 1902. I saw it at Edaville and later in the Portland Company Building. It is a two-foot treasure.

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member since 1990.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 06:57:12 AM »
Rest assured, it will be.  It's going into Bay 4 (wood shop) first if it gets here before the car barn is ready.