Author Topic: Syracuse NY road trip / Riveting equipment  (Read 14161 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse NY road trip
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
They look like they could use a little touch up paint here and there
KD

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
Riveting, simply riveting.

Ira

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
I going to give my best shot to describe what the tools do as I understand them. No need for electric for any of these tools just some compressed air. Corrections welcome.

This riveter is for reaching inside tanks or boilers. The tool hangs from an overhead hoist from the L shaped arm with the big chain on it. The wheel located in the middle allows the operator to spin the jaws around in a circle to position the riveting gun and buck on the work piece. The large air piston at the back clamps the tool on the rivet. In operation you would position the tool with the buck on one side of the work piece and the air hammer on the other side, place a rivet in the hole, clamp the tool down on the rivet and work piece, and the operate the air hammer to complete the rivet process.

Air hammer and buck

The round cylinder with the air line is the piston for clamping the tool down.

The big chain and bracket is for hanging the tool from an overhead hoist and the wheel rotates the tool around inside the ring the lifting arm is attached to.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:53:55 AM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse NY road trip / Riveting equipment
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
According to the tag this is a 30 ton air press when supplied with a 100 psi. I believe this can be used for riveting or the previous owners were using the press to bend flat bar with a homemade die.

This is a rolling machine for light flat plate or bar stock. Needs a new base and some tlc. The wheel with the spokes is for spinning the rollers. There is and old car rim welded to the spokes. Probably had a flat belt running the machine at some point. There was a much bigger version of this mill in the shop still in use runnning off and overhead belt.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
It looks like we'll need to build a combination blacksmith shop and boiler shop.  We will need a vertical boiler to power our saw mill.  Now, we can build our own boiler.  The blacksmith forge for heating rivets and smithy for making boiler attachments, etc.  I was given to believe that the roller can handle up to 3/4" sheet.  That's about twice what we'd for a boiler.  The riveter and roller may also be an aid in rebuilding our tank car.  The shop that our "new toys" came from might serve as plan for our "shop".

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »
Thanks for the explanations, Brendan. And for doing the hauling! It amazes me the sorts of equipment that makes it's way up to the museum. I'm sure it will be great to have these expanded shop capabilities as things come on line, and space becomes available.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
Thank you, Brendan!

SH

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 05:50:25 AM »
Gee, this kind of equipment wouldn't be destined for use in building #11 would it? ;)
Moxie Bootlegger

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
First thing's first- we've got our eye on the B&SR tank...

Jason