Author Topic: trestle/fill south of station  (Read 10153 times)

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
trestle/fill south of station
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
"Supt Estabrook has just completed the filling of the Haynes trestle on the Monson railroad, which is 645 feet long and averages 15 feet in depth, with debris and waste from the slate quarries.  He has been fourteen months doing it as he did not employ any extra men but did it with his regular crew in spare hours.  It is an excellent job and enhances the value of the road very materially."
The Monson Weekly Slate, 1/15/1890

This is likely the fill between the Monson station and the Willimantic road (Stevens Crossing) that Stewart mentioned under "Monson RR blog" a couple days ago. I had never heard of "the Haynes trestle" or of any Haynes in Monson.  Gary Kohler has a nice photo of the trestle, which I hope will be included in his upcoming Monson book.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:03:26 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: trestle/fill south of station
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
The apparent Haynes trestle is pictured on p.39 of Gary Kohler's new "A Pictorial History of the Monson Railroad", available at the WW&F Gift Shop.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: trestle/fill south of station
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
About 10 years ago I did some exploring of the Monson main line, which is pretty easy to follow thanks to "our friends the power lines" - a term I use often when exploring abandoned rights of way.
North of the Willimantic road was an area I walked, and along the fill I found several fairly intact ties, including one that had a spike in it.  Sitting on top of slate waste had kept the artifact solid for more than 50 years after abandonment.