Author Topic: Albion Day 2009  (Read 16009 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Albion Day 2009
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:01:12 AM »
Fellow Albionians;
I spoke with Carl last night. He is anxious to have all his friends from the Southern Division of the WW&F Ry join him for Albion Day on November 7, 2009. As previously noted, Carl & Co. re-laid track up to the station after the Spring Albion Day Extra. The locomotive has been moved onto the tracks (by Carl and Phil working alone). Carl has added mechanics to his wish list for Albion Day as he would like to get his motive power running. He and Phil have cut up some 8 foot ties down to 5 footers. There should be enough to complete the siding. He has also cleaned up all the debris around the station to make it easier to cut the grass and brush.  He'd also like to put the new wheelsets under the flanger. In order to entice Mike back he will have the John Deere all polished, fueled up and ready to go for when Mike arrives.
Now that we seem to have moved beyond Groundhog Day, I hope many of you will return. I already have Dana's promise. Please plan to be in Albion on November 7 and wear your blaze orange outfits as it's the first day of huntin' season.
KD

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Day 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
 ;D The only thing worth skipping a day of hunting is a day at Albion.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
Amen to that Brother Mike.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »
This morning had several inches of snow on the ground up that way, so dress warmly for Saturday.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »
Temps in the 40's tomorrow. Perfect Albion Weather.
Mike

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
But if everyone skips hunting who's going to get the moose for lunch?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
Paul;
It was beans, cold American chop suey and stale bread for lunch. Moose would have been gourmet food. Anyway, we finished the siding despite a constant lack of ties and snow. There was also work on the second floor ceiling while waiting for ties. I'm sure Mike will soon be posting a photo of the first derailment in Albion in over 70 years... As always, a great time was had by all. I can't wait to go back!
Dave

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »
Ok. I suppose I can get those posted now. First though, the action shot.

This was at the end of the day. We figured out in a hurry what was missing in the switch. Next year we will take care of that.
We arrived to this today...

Dana formulating a plan, and looking over our work from the past 2 sessions.

The old Locomotive is now on the rails, and I hear they are needing a carburator or getting one for it.

End of the day, derailment in the background. The long ties in the foreground will be cut to the proper length, when Carl or Phil has time.
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »
More good photos Mike, the progress looks great.  What was used for the switch stand?  As I recall the switch was going to be a stub and there was talk of making the throw from the old (bridge control) lever that sat by the  shop door at Sheepscot.  Is that what was used?  It looks like it in the photo.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new siding in the Spring.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »
Could someone give me the story on those trucks?  They are a design I have not seen anywhere.

Bernie

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:50:34 PM »
Stewart;
You are correct about the old draw bridge throw. We informed Big John what they need to do to get it active.
Bernie;
All I know is that the wheel sets came from Boothbay in a trade. Perhaps Mike can add something.
As usual, it will be awhile before I get my photos posted as I haven't figured out how to reduce them on a Mac so I need to migrate them to a PC.
Dave

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
Looks great, Mike -thanks for the pics! Sort of glad I couldn't make it now that I see the snow! Not quite ready for winter... seems like it was only a few months ago we were worried there'd still be snow for April work weekend, doesn't it?! 

Dave, try this on your Mac:

1. Open iPhoto. From your library, select which photo you want to resize. Double-click on the selected photo.

2. From the “File” menu at the top of your screen, select “Export.” Make sure the new window is on the “File Export” tab.

3.Choose the format for exporting the file. For most photos, you want to keep the original format, or select “JPG” from the drop-down menu.

4. Beneath the Format drop-down menu, on the left side, are the size options. Select “Scale images no larger than:”

5.Change the pixel width or height depending on how you would like your photo to be resized. (you should only have to choose a height or a width, not both...)

6. Click “Export." Choose a name for each picture and destination. Click “OK." (REMEMBER the destination!)

7. Open up the new file on your computer. It should be resized to your specifications.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:12:18 AM by Stephen Hussar »

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 09:26:23 AM »
 See no one went hunting cause they were all working on railroad so no moose meat. Glad to see and hear of all the good work for Albion. Maybe next year a start on the turn table and enginehouse or extend the main south. Anyway good work by all.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
All I know about those trucks is they are real heavy! Carl purchased them from Boothbay with the intention of installing them under the Flanger, to get rid of the "shop" style trucks it now rides on.
Mike

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »
All; Here goes, let's see of this works: Now don't go kidding Vincent about having a stick up his rear! He was just taking a break.
Phil didn't want to get caught with his hands in his pockets.

Thanks Steve for your help. I ended up going on Photobucket.com when I couldn't use Village Photo so I didn't have to shrink the photos.
Dave
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:41:41 PM by Dave Buczkowski »