Author Topic: Coal Trouble for Brecon Mountan  (Read 4210 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Coal Trouble for Brecon Mountan
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
Here's a link to another story concerning the Brecon Mountain Railway:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/6215607/Welsh-steam-train-forced-to-used-Siberian-coal.html

Incidentally, their very complete shop is now restoring an 1898 Baldwin 2-6-0 from Brazil and also building replicas of Sandy River no. 10 and no. 23.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
Wayne, that link really demonstrates how whiney neighbors can cause foolish regulations that ultimately cost innocent folks some big dollars.  Think of what the cost must be to the Brecon Mountain Railway for the Russian coal and what it could be for the local coal. Wow! It would be akin to our museum being forced to buy coal from a midwestern mine instead of a dealer in Bath.
Duncan

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
I wonder if it might be worth it for a couple of guys to get together with their pickup trucks and spend a day or two shuttling back and forth between the mine and the railroad delivering coal.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
James, it is a long way to that mine in Russia! Probably would require packing a lunch....
Keith

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:05:38 AM »
I'm thinking what James means is going along the rail line from the mine picking up coal that falls off the wagons and puting it into their lorries [ Brits don't dirve pickup trucks they drive lorries].

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
I meant for the Brecon Mountain guys to go visit the local Ffos-y-Fran mine in their pickups, instead of trying to ship it in a large lorry.  Put tarps over the load and nobody will know anything.

Of course this begs the question - does anyone over there have a pickup truck?  They must.  However I can't recall seeing any during my Wales trip (but I wasn't looking either).

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: Coal Trouble for Brecon Mountan
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:31:09 AM »
James to clearife a lorry is the British term for what we call a truck no matter what the size. verious manufactures in like Rover, Martan, Austin, and others make what we would call a pickup truck but to them its still a lorry.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Coal Trouble for Brecon Mountan
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
James, I did see some Ford Rangers over in the UK about 5 or so years ago during my most recent visit.
As you saw that's a comfortable size for many of the roads over there!