Author Topic: Baldwin 4-6-2 in service  (Read 9014 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Baldwin 4-6-2 in service
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:08 AM »
OK, I admit it ... I want one ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd4tMM7jCJM

Grins and Best Regards,
Glenn

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Baldwin 4-6-2 in service
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
Wow, that engine looks brand new.

Near the end of the video, they show someone throwing a track switch - but two levers are used. The first one appears to control the switch points. What does the other lever do? (I didn't see a derail on the siding, so that's not it.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
I didn't watch the whole vidwo so will guess a signal.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
I think the Brits tend to use ground throws alot, and I am guessing that the first lever that gets thrown is some kind of unlock, which allows the others to be thrown.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »
The switching is shown around 7:40 (in case you don't want to watch the whole video.)

You can see the switch points move with the first lever, then the switchman moves the 2nd lever. It might be for a signal, but the locking mechanism doesn't seem likely (to me.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »
Some interesting things: great caboose, air operated butterfly firebox doors, rear pilot on tender, nice version of link and pin couplers (with handle on link), English style regulator (throttle) and overall very nice rebuild of a South African wreck.  I suspect the second lever is a lock for the switch.  Their right of way looks really great.  I wonder if they have a 2-foot regulator?  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:24:24 PM by Ken Fleming »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
Glenn,  Thanks for the link.  Good video of a very nice operation.  With that beautiful engine and caboose it reminds me of the SR&RL.  If I remember correctly, the caboose was built to SR&RL plans so they would have a side door / handicap accessible car.  The smoke box and pilot on #2 resemble the front of SR&RL 24 ...  WOW

Nick Griffiths

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »

You can see the switch points move with the first lever, then the switchman moves the 2nd lever. It might be for a signal, but the locking mechanism doesn't seem likely (to me.)

Under UK legislation, dating from (IIRC) 1889, all facing points (switches in US parlance) over which passenger trains run must be locked to prevent movement of the blades under the train.  The lock acts on the stretcher bar, operated by a different linkage, hence the two levers.  The fireman must pull the "facing point lock" lever before he can reverse the points/switch.  If both routes are used by passenger trains, the lock works with the points/switch normal or reversed, in instances where only one route is used by passenger trains the lock only need lock that route.  Traditionally the levers would be in a "signal box" operated by a signalman and their operation wouldn't be visible - on the smaller railways where switching is carried out by the loco crew lever frames are local.

In recent years in the UK there has been a relaxing of the rule in certain installations - some lightly used single track railway routes, e.g. the standard gauge Cambrian route up the Welsh coast past the Ffestiniog Railway, and the reconstructed Welsh Highland Railway - sprung or weighted points/switches are permitted, but there is detection of the blades indicated by a signal light.  When the signal is illuminated the train can proceed over the facing points/switch at low speed (typically 10/15mph), if the signal is not lit the train must stop short and the blades clamped to prevent movement before proceeding.  The rules call for the clamp to be removed, otherwise the next train to trail them ends up in the dirt!

HTH,

Nick

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
Can we get drawings for that engine?
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:10 AM »
Not only does Brecon Mountain have this beautiful little Pacific, they are building a replica of SR&RL 2-4-4 no. 10 AND SR&RL 2-6-2 no. 23! Their shop has just about everything one would need to do this, including a bull riveter. In addition, they have a Baldwin 2-6-0 of 1897 vintage they are restoring to service and I think they also recently got a South African 2-8-2 as well. They need the bigger engines to be able to run beyond the current end of the line.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 04:00:49 AM »
Can we get drawings for that engine?

Hi John,

Yes, drawings are available from several sources, but your best bet is to pick up a copy of the booklet: "Narrow Gauge Superpower - Limestone to Port Elizabeth" by Leith Paxton and David Payling.  The ISBN is 0142-5587.  I got my copy from "Transport Diversions" in the UK. 

Check out their Website at URL: http://www.transportdiversions.com/index.asp

Enjoy,
Glenn

PS - The Cuban book I mentioned in an earlier post can be obtained from the same source.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
I stumbled across a discussion site about the Brecon Mountain Railway which seems to indicate all is not well there. I didn't realize the BMR was a private, for-profit operation before, and apparently the owner discharged the entire shop staff about two years ago in an effort to save money. Since then, very little has been done to the replica locomotives, and contractors are doing the necessary maintenance to keep the place going.

The line is not in a part of Wales favored by tourists and has suffered from low ridership. The entire line is about 5-1/2 miles long, but trains only run about 3 miles because of heavy grades on the final section. The regulatory agencies will not allow the smaller engines to run beyond the current temporary terminal point, at which passengers are not allowed off the train, either. By the way, this line is laid on the grade of a standard gauge line abandoned in the 60's. The line once was the highest standard gauge in Great Britain. 

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »

... nice version of link and pin couplers (with handle on link) ...

That appears to be a Norwegian, or "meatchopper" coupler.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
Wayne, any chance of posting the link to the Brecon Mountain discussion forum?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »
Here's the link to the discussion about the trials and tribulations at Brecon Mountain:

http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/forums/read.php?1,1035

And here's the link to the main page, Narrow Gauge Heaven:

http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/forums/index.php