Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 532878 times)

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1095 on: October 16, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
Well, you could always double-track the mainline (while I'm ducking for cover)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 17, 2019, 05:24:52 AM »
Sure moving forward laying track is addictive and exciting for the onlooker I am but you have always to keep in mind that the intendance must be able to follow the army even if it's a volunteer army.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 17, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
How much, if any, right of way did Harry put together between 218 and Albion?  What would be the major problem of heading in that direction?  What buildings are in the way?  Back in 1971 I hiked in to Whitefield trestle, which even then was a tumbling ruin. I suspect there's not much left of it now.
  What's in the way south of Albion where their track ends now?  What's the distance, some 40 miles, between the two present ends?  This of course is all day dreaming, but could it be done if there was a will to do so? 
  Most of the old duffers would never live to see it, if it were to happen, but you have to keep the old carrot dangling in front of the horse of progress.  That's what's kept it going to this point.  The carrot fell off the stick at Rt. 218.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 17, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »
I'm out of my league here, so others can respond.  What Harry "put together" was what the W&Q still owned at the time of its resurrection, and is still a considerable but totally patchwork ROW.  That is documented elsewhere.

The current carrots are so much to do within our new operating landscape.  In the future, who knows.....?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 17, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
At the time of his purchase of the WW&F/W&Q assets from the Winter Foundation, about 60% of the right of way was left - none in Wiscasset, and then morse code all the way up through to Albion, plus bits and pieces beyond including in New Sharon.  Since his purchase, he would occasionally sell off a parcel to an abutter, supposedly with an easement for railroad construction. 

The W&Q now owns all the remaining ROW, except for the mile and half deeded to the WW&F in Alna.  Much of the ROW is used as a snowmobile trail in the towns north of Alna.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 17, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »
plus bits and pieces beyond including in New Sharon

For those not in the know, New Sharon = FS&K.

I've been told the W&Q's holdings also include some ROW north of Albion going towards Burnham.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 18, 2019, 09:19:17 PM »
For those in the Away Crowd (Alain, this is for you) I made a video during the "inspection Trip" of the new track from the Top of Mountain to the new Columbus Day End of Track.  The first half was put down at the 2018 Fall Work Weekend.  This section was ballasted during this Springs Work Weekend.  The new 2,000 feet that was put down this Fall Work Weekend is the un-ballasted portion.

This Monday afternoon was perfect weather with the trees in full fall color.  The ride was slow as there were leaves on the track in many places.  There were two safety stops at red flags, one at the beginning and one where the new track starts.  At the end of the video one can see the flat car that carried the rails, the crane flat car and the two work flats that carried supplies.  The true end of track can be seen a hundred yards or so beyond these cars.

The new track is at: https://youtu.be/mS08UEYrdKg

If you would like to see the rest of our main line track from Top of Mountain to Sheepscot Station it begins at 12:10 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGK7Ep57_Ws&t=749s

Enjoy

Brakie Bill
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:20:04 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 18, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »
Bill, when I click on the link for the first video, I get a black YouTube screen marked "Private Video". The second video plays with no problem. 

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 19, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »
Thanks Steve, this was my first post on Youtube and I didn't know about the private-public setting.  It should work now.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 19, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
Thank you so much for posting the videos.  They were just what I was looking for.  The mountain extension gives a different view of the beautiful Maine countryside. IMHO, 3 1/2 miles of track makes a nice ride and is going to require a LOT of time and work to maintain to safe standards.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 19, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »
Thank you so much Bill. Nothing but a video shot from the head of a train to find out the line. Now I am fully aware of the track steep incline and the steep an deep embankement slope toward the brook in places, it looks very impressive. Efficient sanders will be essential on the powermotives  but anyway they are helpless when there are too many dead leaves on the rails then your best bet is  a good broom.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 19, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »
Great job, Bill. As you know, I didn't get the chance to ride down to the bridge and only got a short glimpse of the end of track when I walked in on Sunday afternoon just before I left to head back to Pa. A big well done to all involved!

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 19, 2019, 05:59:04 PM »
I must say that due to Bill's video I'm fully aware of the tremendous work that has been carried out over the FWW. The length of the newly laid track is downright impressive but  it's not going to be a bed of roses to ballast, line and damp it over the SWW but I'm sure you'll make it somehow.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 20, 2019, 08:10:11 AM »
How much, if any, right of way did Harry put together between 218 and Albion?  What would be the major problem of heading in that direction?  What buildings are in the way?  Back in 1971 I hiked in to Whitefield trestle, which even then was a tumbling ruin. I suspect there's not much left of it now.
  What's in the way south of Albion where their track ends now?  What's the distance, some 40 miles, between the two present ends?  This of course is all day dreaming, but could it be done if there was a will to do so? 
  Most of the old duffers would never live to see it, if it were to happen, but you have to keep the old carrot dangling in front of the horse of progress.  That's what's kept it going to this point.  The carrot fell off the stick at Rt. 218.

If I remember correctly.....not too far north of Head Tide Maine State Highway Route 194 sits on the WW&F Right of way. I think this precludes any expansion to North Whitfield and Albion.

Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 20, 2019, 08:15:42 AM »
I have learned to never say never.  It is amazing what can happen when local political will is exercised.  Moving a road over 30 feet for a 1/4-1/3 of a mile is not that hard.
Moxie Bootlegger