Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 532915 times)

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1080 on: October 15, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
On Monday, rail laying and spiking (with #52 diesel locomotive pushing the gantry train) continued, and also steam locomotive #9 brought 1 +2 flatcar  loads of ballast down to Trout Creek bridge.  The ballast was shoveled off the flatcars to between the ties in both the north and south approaches of the bridge.   By the time the ballast was unloaded, it was definitely *past* lunchtime.  :P

In order to get everyone to lunch back in Sheepscot as soon as possible, the work trains were combined.  The gantry flatcars were left behind, and the combined train  was led by a passenger car being pushed by steam locomotive #9,  followed by two flatcars that had been unloaded of ballast, then the caboose from diesel #52's work train, then #52 itself.  Volunteers were scattered throughout the train.

A WW&F version of a DPU (Distributed Power Unit) / pusher train at Trout Creek bridge!!,
(click image to enlarge, then click again for more detail) . .
While the bridge itself is not captured in the photo, the embankment, small meadow, and the "phone post" visible on the left of the photo together mark the north west side of the Trout creek bridge.
.Some faces distinguishable in the photo include Dana Deering, spiking crew leader, (only face visible on the left side of the passenger car); Jason Lamontagne (visible through the door of #9; and Brendon Barry (orange shirt on the flatcar).
.#52 is smaller than the caboose, and not easily seen, but it is pushing back there. Look for the "green" behind the red caboose.
Graham

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 15, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
I think that Clarissa once said something to the effect of that if there aren't already any trains in heaven, Harry would be there laying track all over the place.

I said something to that effect to Clarissa one time and she said,"Oh no, don't tell me that. Now he won't pay any attention to me at all."

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 15, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »
With the Rt. 218 goal finally reached, what will the next goal be?  Simply maintaining equipment and buildings isn't going to provide the excitement of extending track to the next "marker".  What will be done to keep up the enthusiasm.  On to Albion?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #1083 on: October 15, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »
Well, let's start with:
- Finish Phase I of the Car Barn Extension/Exhibit Hall.
- Putting the newly-laid track into service. (That alone will take us into the 2021 Spring Work Weekend.)
- Erect the Pavilion at Alna Center.
- Finish build of new boiler for #10. Get it back into service.
- Build the run-around track and turntable at 2018.
- Build Trout Brook station/section house at 218.
- Relocate Midcoast Conservancy's trail off the ROW.
- Build a 3-stall Roundhouse.
- Build coach 9.
- Rebuild/Rebuild any of the equipment that is part of the collaboration with Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. and Museum (as deemed beneficial to both groups.)
- Phase II of the Car Barn/Exhibit Hall.
- Do whatever the powers that be deem necessary to the newly acquired parcel at Top of the Mountain. (Access road?, track?, etc.)
- Finish the Mill Spur siding at TOM.
- Replace the crossover switches at TOM.
- Track maintenance.
- Build Locomotive 11.

Once those projects are completed, or substantially underway, we'll have to see what the next big "enthusiastic" project will be. Albion? Farmington? Quebec? Wiscasset? We will forever be the road with big dreams and little wheels.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 05:26:00 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 15, 2019, 06:15:42 PM »
There are lots of low joints and sags in the track surface, as well as a number of places that need lining. And we should be replacing at least 125-150 ties per mile annually. There is plenty to do, though not as exciting as building new track!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 15, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
Let's not forget the sawmill and shingle mill at Top of Mountain.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Then there is also the vacuum brake project to make train control safer going down the 'hill'.

And of course, as anyone who rode the trains back up the 'hill' knows, we need to get the sanders working on both locomotives.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:30:09 PM by Bill Baskerville »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 15, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »
Let's not forget the sawmill and shingle mill at Top of Mountain

It'd be great if someday the power for one of those mills would be the big one-cylinder stationary steam engine. Last I knew that engine was in the car barn. Of course, the steam engine would need a boiler, and perhaps a condenser if a closed system were considered. I suppose a condenser might make sense if the acquifer situation up there dictates a very deep well.

Richard Johnson

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
  • life member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 16, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
Do not forget a proper coaling facility
J J
slow and steady

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
More improvement projects/maintenance?
You're pushing my leg!  ;D ;D
Paul Uhland

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 16, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
Will the crossover switches at TOM be reused for the runaround track at the new end-of-track?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #1091 on: October 16, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
The current thinking is that the crossover track at Top of the Mountain will be replaced with point switches rather than the current stub switches.

Initially, the intent was to remove the crossover. However, now that we see the operational flexibility that it provides, it is likely to stay.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 16, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
The phone crew installed more wire. Last post and working junction box is half way around the curve just north of the bridge.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 16, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
The current thinking is that the crossover track at Top of the Mountain will be replaced with point switches rather than the current stub switches.
I believe it is for the main line switch only, or at least that is the way it was described to me. Buy 2 new switches. One for Trout Brook, one for TOM.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 16, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
All the "projects" mentioned are improvements, but nothing can generate the enthusiasm of laying track to more and more distant locations.  That's called "trackitis" and it can be addicting.  I stand by my prior post.