Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 535847 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
It was a slow day as expected, but we burnt all previously cut brush, limbed the big pine, then after lunch cut the remaining trees and limbs that were by the road that we had not cut yet.

The pine was fun. I climbed the extension ladder to the crotch, then pulled the ladder apart so I could climb higher and reach the limbs.

Standing on location 16 looking South.

Looking North toward 218.
Standing between locations 14 & 15

Fred cut and hauled 2 pickup loads of hardwood for the steam locos.

Looking South

Got my truck out of the way..

Dozer is at location 17.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:34:57 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 24, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
Wow, actually having 218 in our ROW views is pretty amazing.  Can't imagine what it's like for the "old-timers" who have been dreaming this dream for years!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 24, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »
Speaking as an old-timer, it's about time.  Never would have imagined it when I joined 24 years ago.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 24, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »
As a relative newbie, about half the time James referenced, I often marvel when I look at the posted history pictures of our progress, or ride thru hill and dale of the Maine countryside on our well laid track, at what has been accomplished since our humble beginning.  I am further amazed that we are planning, permitting, clearing, and soon will begin additional grading down the mountain to 218. 

And that pales when compared to the resurrected buildings, rolling stock, locomotives, facilities, MOW equipment, and a myriad of other things to numerous to list.  Every Museum member should be proud of what has been accomplished by consistent, persistent and dedicated contributions of time, effort, skill, talent and financial resources both great and small.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »
James & Bill
Want to feel old AND proud - read the old Newsletters as I have.
Fantastic accomplishments by a dedicated, dynamic group of people. 

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 25, 2018, 11:01:50 PM »
I can't wait to hear the mauls singing as we head down the mountain and get that bridge in across the brook! I'm especially thankful for all of the friends I've met through helping to rebuild the railway and all of the new ones we are sure to make as progress continues northward, and someday southward.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #531 on: February 27, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
[Moderator's Note]
A discussion regarding crossing Route 218 was split from this thread and combined with one in the "Members Only" discussion section. If you are a current museum member, and can not access that section, please let me know. If you are not a member, then please join us!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
I'm pleased to announce that at tonight's Alna Planning Board meeting our 5-year plan with the Town was accepted as complete.  The public hearing will be April 2 at 6:30 PM at the Alna Fire Department.  This covers the period July 2017 (yes we're late) thru June 2022.  This plan, once fully approved, will cover construction activities at Sheepscot, Top of Mountain, and the construction activities down the Mountain to 218. 

The Shoreland Zone application/approval from December only applies to 2 places: the bridge, and the pinch point.  This covers everything in between.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
This is very good news indeed. Thanks for all the hard work by all concerned.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 12, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »
Just saw a slide show on the digging of the Haarlem River Canal in NYC.  Permitting and financing were a problem even back then.  It took them 21 years to get started digging in 1893 and only 2 years to do it.  A great job getting all the approvals necessary for the "Down the Mountain" phase.  Congratulations.

Fred M. Cain

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 14, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »
Paul,

Hopefully, a lot of your questions can be answered by looking at the Long Range Plan at http://www.wwfry.org/projects/longrangeplan.pdf or reading the WW&F Newsletter, a copy of which should be arriving at all members' doorsteps on August 1.

-John

I realize that this is a rather old thread but I was hoping for an update on this.  I was reading the pdf about long range plans but I was curious to know how much of the railway do you ultimately plan to rebuild?  As a life-long rail advocate and enthusiast, I'd just LOVE to see the entire railway rebuilt.  If that's just not possible, perhaps you could get the lion's share of it done, anyways.

There are some wonderful narrow-gauge steam operations in the U.S. but most of them are out west or in Alaska.  It'd be really wonderful if this unique line in the Northeast could be rebuilt.  It'd probably be a major tourist draw and boon to the local economy.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »
Hi Fred,

We limit ourselves on focusing on restoring one section of railway at a time, so our energy is currently dedicated to reinstating the railway between Top of Mountain and Route 218.

The current work doesn't guarantee further expansion, but it doesn't bar it either. The Museum has actively sought to preserve the right of way where possible to ensure long term preservation for the future

Fred M. Cain

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »
Stephen,

Thanks for your response.  I truly believe it's nothing short of an absolute miracle that so much of your ROW remains intact.  If I lived back there I'd LOVE to help work on this.  Unfortunately I'm in the Upper Midwest.  I can try and send donations, though.  I intend to do that.

Best of luck to you all !  This is a very worthwhile project !

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 17, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
DONE!

We finished clearing the Right of Way at Trout Brook Preserve before 10:30 this morning, with a 6 man crew. The only thing left to do is cut up the wood, delivering the softwood to a local man that will burn it in his outdoor boiler. Hardwood will be cut up for use in the locomotives, and possibly a warming fire at Alna Center.

Here is Jay, taken from Location 16, looking South. The Preserve trail entrance is just beyond Jay on the left.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #539 on: March 17, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
[Moderator's Note]
Topic title changes to reflect the "branding" of "The Mountain Extension" of the WW&F Railway Museum. (Note that this topic dates back long before the name was conceived.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum