Author Topic: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 536060 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »
I think we are only waiting about a week. Dana says he would like to put out the 60 feet up there that we can during the FWW. This will leave room for trucks to still have access the slide.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »
Well and truly done, Mike Fox and friends. You guys are the best!

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
Was wondering why there were few progress reports, pics, from the "washout zone" lately.
Now I know why. Youz guyz were busy as a flock of one-toothed beavers.  ;D
Absolutely first-rate work, especially the big washout rip-rap job, traffic blocks at the access road, classy  little retaining wall at the last washout.
Well, well done!   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:10:40 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2017, 11:23:19 PM »
So it looks like you want useable track installed over the just-finished Fossell washout, stopping short of the 218 access road/ROW corner, to set up rail and road access to re-profile the landslide ROW, and as a prelude to Trout Brook bridge support/install work.

And since the Sheepscot parking lot is being upgraded to temporarily receive those big trusses, how will they be moved up the line to Trout Creek? And installed?
This will probably be the most spectacular project  WW&F has ever managed. I'm thinking local news outlets will jump on it.

What is your proposed start date?
Our annual Abq International Balloon Fiesta  starts in a few days.

I consider the Trout project just as interesting.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:24:08 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 01, 2017, 04:15:33 AM »
Unfortunately anything that happens with less than 500 spectators is not news worthy in Maine. :( With that being said, everything is reliant on money. The sooner funds are available, the sooner work can be completed and the bridge set. Track is expected to be built across Trout Brook by 2020, so the bridge will most likely be set sometime in 2018 or 19. Reaching 218 will be a huge accomplishment, and I think that will be a good time to have a ceremony commemorating everyone who has contributed time, and or money to help restore the railway. With enough notice, I would suspect we could get as much as 500+ people to be on hand for that special moment.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 01, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »
Paul, it would be cool to deliver the bridge by train, but impossible. Current plan is to assemble in Sheepscot. There is a grant for that. Next summer, July 15 through Sept. 30, work will commence on the Trout Brook location, provided we have permits, which by then should have been taken care of. Current plan is to have the bridge installed and track laid across it in just the permit area by fall 2019, or spring 2020, before the permit expires. All subject to change of course.

At the same time, we will continue our progess on the grade work. Hoping we can finish culverts in 2018, but there are some that need material. So those may be finished in 2019.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:04:56 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »
Rick,
Yes. This area drains into Trout Brook, which drains into the Sheepscot River, which is a protected waterway for Atlantic Salmon.
Mike

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
Post-Tropical Depression Nate looks like it will track over Alna during Tuesday, It will be a good test of the new ditch and culvert work.

Since it is FWW and extra hands are available ya'all might want to take one more look at the upstream areas to make sure any fallen branches are out of the way so they do not clog the newly set pipes or anyplace else.

If the plan is still to work on the Humason Brook Trestle better button it all up before the rain.

It's tracking right over Scranton, so I'm spending the day buttoning up myself.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
If I read Mike's posts correctly, with both permit sections 2 and 3 complete we are good all the way to the bridge.  I also believe he said we can't lay track in section 2 until 3 is done as the heavy equipment will have no means of access.  Did I get this right?
No. The first section is done. Locations 1, 2 and 3. That is the big pipe, and 18" and a 12". Section 2 consists of one location. 4. The slide. Section 3 and section 5 have more pipes. A 12", 18" 48" and a 24" locations 5, 8, 9 &10.
Location 6 is what we call the pinch point, which needs stabalizing. Location 7 is a 12" cross pipe, that will be included in section 4, due to the proximity to the brook.

Then there is about 500 feet of ditch to repair and armor.

Oh, and then there is a bridge..plenty of work to do yet.

Plus more pipe work north of that..all takes time. And permits..
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »
Thanks for the correction Mike, there is a lot of stuff to remember and obviously I didn't remember it all.  From the sounds of it, looks like 2019 for the big track laying session.  If possible a map, with the permit sections and tasks needed detailed on it would be a really big help in understanding the whole scope of work to get to the bridge.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 15, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
I may find a way to put the map on here. I need to tweak it a little though.
Mike

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the track that was installed on the first washout during FWW? If so please post.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »
There are a few on Facebook. Here's one:
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 17, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Ed, Thanks for posting the picture.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 23, 2017, 06:11:06 AM »
On the way North to do some layout at the pinch point, we noticed one of the barrier logs I placed at the access road was out of place. Kind of skewed at an angle. Investigating, I found where it had been hit by a vehicle. So we straightened it back out, and I drove some stakes in the ground and put some orange flagging tape on them.

Some measurements have been made at the pinch point 3 seperate times in the last week. That location grew to include the cross pipes north and south of it, due to being within 75 feet of the brook.

We are still planning the repair, actually have pretty much settled on it, and will be applying for permits so we can (hopefully) complete the work next summer.
Mike