Author Topic: Car Barn  (Read 13506 times)

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Car Barn
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
With the surveying for the new car barn completed, I have a couple questions.  1) What are the proposed dimensions?  2) What type of construction will be used? 3) Could a steel building be used?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Car Barn
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
1) Two tracks wide, plus room to move around a bit.  There are stakes out there in the woods, but what was written on the stakes as far as building corners didn't make much sense (looked way too wide).  2 & 3) Probably a steel building with board & batten side.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »
I would think the car barn would be something like 100 feet long and 20 feet wide. However....it's going to be some time before we need it, isn't it? The now-underway extension of the shop will provide covered storage for everything except the two flatcars, I believe. So until we get to the point where we are going to perform major restoration projects or build new cars, do we really need a car house? There's nothing wrong with planning its eventual location, of course, but I think the roundhouse should come first so that we can shelter all the locomotives comfortably.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »
I would hope the new car barn would be all steel. And as large as Wayne said. Build it large enough the first time. They even make the steel look like board and batten siding, from a distance. And no power. Just storage. No work to be performed in there. At all. That's what the work shop is for. Cold storage.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
I think the car barn will be the last piece that gets constructed.  In our 5 year plan to the town I believe we omitted it.  The plan is to start on the roundhouse by the end of the 5 years.  As to no power - we might want power for lights, unless we roof it with transparent panels.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
Another question : what is the maximum height of any car that might ever be stored in the car barn?

A width of 24 feet would give 4 feet from car side to wall (both tracks) and 4 feet between cars.  The purpose of the car barn, first and foremost, is to protect assets that can not be replaced.  Therefore, all steel construction without windows or "plastic" skylights.  Two 8' x ?' steel roll up doors and a 4' x 7' steel walk-thru door.  Ask Knox & Kane what fire can do to a railroad and their equipment was "replaceable".

As to power and lights, those are nice rainy days projects for the future.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »
The car barn is for dense storage.  That means no work space or tools up there.  It's just for putting the train to bed with minimal switching.  The passenger consist goes on one side and the freight/work train goes on the other side.  Another track can be built along the outside for storing unused trucks, etc. away from the public.  Some of the things on our team track can go there.

The highest car we have is caboose 320.  If you build the doors for that car everything else will clear.  I think sky lights are ok if made for the snow load.  The B&SR had sky lights on their car shop so the idea is prototypical.   As James and Wayne said, the round house is more important and is the priority for the next major building.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
Car Barn???? It sounds like a place to put trolley cars. :)!
Keith

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
I started out calling it a "car house," but somewhere along the way it became car barn. As for lighting, many of the commercially available buildings can be fitted with translucent panels on the sides, just below the roof line. We could put such panels on the east side of the building, where they wouldn't be noticed by the public. This would be an alternative to panels on the roof or skylights.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
So, how high is the 302?  Barn or house or shed or garage, call it whatever.  I just have a corporation interested, that may make an offer we might not want to refuse.  Time will tell!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:23:57 PM by Ken Fleming »

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
James, Stewart, and Wayne
The discussion about the car barn or house is great. The best news will be when the ground work can commence on the parking lot, round house, car barn, and last but not least the restrooms and septic systems.

Fred Kuhns

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »
last but not least the restrooms and septic systems.

I certainly hope (and understand, perhaps incorrectly) that the restrooms are not last on the list.  The lack of restrooms limits the museum's ability to bring in tour groups.

- Bill
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
I know we've been over this ground before, but just in the last few weeks, while doing research for a story I'm writing about tourism, the subject of restrooms at tourist attractions was one of the important themes.

Three different tour bus operators emphasized the need for clean, modern restrooms at each attraction they visit. Several attractions here in central Pennsylvania were mentioned as examples of the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to restrooms. I also spoke to a bus driver who said the senior citizens who make up well over three quarters of his passengers on such trips are very critical of substandard restroom facilities and complain loudly to the tour operators. 

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
Re: Restrooms
As a tour bus driver for many years, I can more than second Wayne's comments. Restrooms are #1 in every survey I have ever seen in the trade publications.
Also up there are solid surface foot paths, no gravel for the old folks. Stairs are a no-no, so ramps are the answer. Also add adequate places to sit while waiting for an event.
High on the operators list are adequate bus turning and parking areas, without overhanging trees.
My two cents worth is absolutely free.
Ira

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Car Storage Facility
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 06:47:34 PM »
While car storage is not a priority (or even in the next 5 years), it is great to discuss it. As for Restrooms, that is the next project on the list, with the dirt work coming shortly, from my understanding. But with the dirt work, comes the initial grading that will be the start of the whole new expansion process.
   As for design of the building, the Plastic skylights would work for light. I have seen several storage buildings with them in the roof and they are not that noticable. Several companies make the style of building we are looking for, for a reasonable amount of money, which may or may not include erecting it. I'm sure with some leg work, a company can be found that will do everything from the frostwalls or whatever is required to completion of the building.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...