Author Topic: Whitneyville and Machiasport Railroad: Old rail still in the ground?!!  (Read 46141 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Whitneyville and Machiasport Railroad: Old rail still in the ground?!!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »
Hi Matt,

The Lion is one of the oldest steam locomotives that still exists in America, and it can be found at the Maine State Museum in Augusta.

It's straying a bit off-focus, since the start of the thread is that there may be rails in-place along the Lion's former route. Rails that (possibly) the museum could salvage for use or trade.

All this can be found on the earlier pages of this thread, which you may want to investigate.

Thanks,

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »
Looking through my book Washington County RR, The Sunrise Route, I found pictures of when they were building (or rebuilding) this line in the 1890's. They looked to be using 60lb rail. So hopefully this is what they built that branch with.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 09:05:21 AM »
As an aside, a couple of weeks ago John Robertson took a tape to the state museum and measured the gauge...and it turns out to be 57 inches on the nose.  If the Lion were to be restored for the bicentennial, she could probably run on any standard gauge line in Maine.

The Smithsonian actually did this with the orginal John Bull in the 1980's, so it's not unprecedented.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
I might have found something. The only way to know will be go there and measure. Long drive but could prove to be worth it. Looks like some rail is left from Ayer Junction toward Eastport. This was light rail that kept the 44 tonners over that way until the line was abandoned in the late 70's.
  Also looking around Machias and Maciasport as well as Whitneyville found nothing on Google maps. The did not get off Route 1 with the camera car. Real neat to do a street view of the map. Great for reference.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Mark this off the to do list. Courtney and I made the 587.1 mile round trip today. Actually we went all the way to Eastport with hopes of finding something. Nothing. Anything I put a tape onto was 5 1/4 inches. 85# rail. Too large. I found no rail in Machiasport though there was a siding of 85# left in Machias.  I'll post a few pictures of our findings later.

Mike

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
Thanks for investigating. I hope Courtney had her Nintendo DS well-charged.

Earlier in the thread, there was a report of rail off of "Roque Bluffs Road". Did you check there, too?
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »
The one road I didn't go down. I was on the other side of Rte. 1 on the back roads. I never even saw where it crossed Rt. 1. I know the area now. Anyone want to head right over, I can tell you where to go. I did spot the grade on the other end with the remnants of some trestle work there. Just old Pilings actually.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:34:21 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 07:50:33 PM »
With the help of Google maps with the street view, I may have located the ROW on that road. Courtney is Not looking forward to that kind of travelling again. So if I went, it would be by myself. If we don't get any snow, maybe I'll head down next week for another peek.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »
Finally got those pictures uploaded onto NERAIL. Go here to view them.
http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=byrail&page=1&key=Maine%20Central
Mike

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
Hi Mike,

Did you check the branch to Eastport? Someone posted some track charts on NERail and it looks like that had mostly 60# rail. If there is anything the scrappers forgot, (sidings, etc.) it might be of use.

See:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2009010409505731698.jpg
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2009010409534831850.jpg
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 10:46:23 AM »
Yes. The only thing left of the Eastport branch is a runaround track at Ayer Junction that is 85# rail. I did find some rotting ties where it crosses Route 1. On the other side was a paved bike/pedestrian path to the Indian Tribal territory. Beyond there it was all dirt. Now, if you would like to see where I have to go now, go to google maps, Go to 48 Roque Bluffs Road in Machias. Click on the street view. On the West side of the road, there is a house with a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn. This is actually about #50 Roque Bluffs Road. If you look at the lawn just to the north of the sign, you will see what looks like rail in the lawn. It appears the clothesline crosses the tracks. Turning around, there is a bunch of trees. This is where I think the rail must be that was mentioned before.
Mike
Mike

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 11:20:39 AM »
I don't see the rail in the lawn using the Google Maps Street View at 48 Roque Bluffs Road.

However, check out: 175 Washington St, Eastport, ME - no rail visible, but there is a boxcar.

My topo maps show a number sidings and one large yard between Ayers junction and Eastport including two spurs that crossed route 190 in Quoddy. Street View doesn't show anything, but the only way to know for sure is to check.

Let me know if you want the topo maps showing the sidings, spurs, etc.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 05:28:18 PM »
I am sure all other sidings have been removed from The Calais Branch. Kind of surprised they left enough rail in Machias for the boxcar to sit on.
Mike

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 01:28:11 AM »
Sad pictures. Used to stay up that way. Always wished i had a motor car when I was up there. To late now.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
Well, you can still go West from Harrington right now. I did notice the Jointbars have been removed from the Route 182 crossing in Chesterville.

Now as for this supposed rail in Machias, I went again today and still found nothing. I went very slowly (I think I made the locals suspicious, especially when I kept stopping) up and down Roque Bluffs Road. No rail visible, no grade visible. Where it looked like something on one side, you turn to look at the other side and are looking at a hill. I am not sure there ever was anything there. My instincts were telling me the grade was closer to the river. I do know where it ended though. Looks a lot like some pilings we are very familiar with in Wiscasset. Taken in Machiasport near the river.

The only other thing I found looked like this. Columbia, Maine Station area.

85# Rail set aside for someone. Not much wear on the head. Excellent looking rail, but too big for us. Too bad.

Mike