W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 27, 2017, 03:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Chasing our tales.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lynton & Barnstaple Baldwin 2-4-2T  (Read 5098 times)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Administrator
Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:20:19 AM »

MODERATORS NOTE:
Lynton & Barnstaple Baldwin 2-4-2T has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Phil Raynes wrote:
For those interested, I ran across this link on the Lynton & Barnstaple discussion page. It is 4 pages (pdf) of articles from 1994 of Railway Modeller, 2 pages on Lyn, and 2 pages which are a review of Bachmann's "G-gauge" model (which really made it a meter gauge loco). I wonder if any of these models were sold over here - I don't recall ever seeing them?   While it was made for use in England, it would take very little modification of the model for use in a layout over here.

Lyn is a Baldwin 2-4-2T, while L&B's other locos were Manning-Wardles of the 2-6-2T variety.

http://www.lynton-barnstaple.cd2.com/articles/lyn/lyn.pdf

Note that it was scrapped in 1935 - sold for 50 pounds!  Anyone with a time machine and a spare 51 pounds?!

Phil

bperch replied:
Phil,

These engines were sold over here and were considered miserable runners.  I have one and I have operated it very little and it is in reasonably good condition--some messing was done with the couplers.  It would be perfect for a 5/8"n2 conversion.   Of course, the motor would have to be replaced/repositioned.  I would consider trading it for several of the new AMT or Bachmann F super scale cars or 7/8"n2 car parts--preferably several pairs of Maine style trucks.  The detail on this locomotive is quite good.

Bernie

Phil Raynes replied:
I'm curious - if the chassis is approximately meter gauge, what scale is the superstructure?  Is it 5/8 inch scale, or 1/2 inch scale, or one of the others, like 1:22.5 or 1:20.5?  And if you are talking about a "conversion" to 5/8"n2, what gauge would the track be?

(Note, I've been modeling 1/2" scale EBT 3' gauge & ET&WNC, plus Nn3 EBT, so this 2' gauge using 45mm track is new to me!)

Sorry, I don't have any of your "wants" to trade for!
Phil

Dave Crow replied:
Phil,

Not to get too far into modeling on this site, but there are several of us that model in 7/8" scale; the math works out so that 2' prototype gauge fits right onto 45mm (1-3/4") track.  I know Marcel also models in 7/8" scale.  There are some trucks available as craftsman kits, but largely the scale is a scratchbuilder's scale because there isn't a lot of people in it.  A lot of Brits use it for modeling indutrial railways in small spaces.  There are several Yahoo discussion groups, and Maine 2-Foot Quarterly magazine has photos and articles occasionally of equipment in the scale.  It's virtually of a size to design and build practice equipment before building the full-size versions...

Dave Crow

bperch replied:
Phil,

I pulled the engine out of storage.  Apparently I put all the original knuckle couplers back on it, so I i'll strike the the above comment on couplers.

The only book I have on the Lynton and Barnstaple is a photo book without any plans or dimentions of the locomotive (it has a photo of the engine being scrapped).  I will give a few dimentions here in inches and you can draw any conclusions from that.  If you want to discuss this model more, email me at mailto:bperch@hotmail.com as already others have stated that discussing this is beyond the scope of the forum.

The model is in Southern livery, #762 in green and black with some striping.  This is prototype later in its career.

Overall length, pilot tip to pilot tip--14.25"
Diameter of drivers--1.468"
Diameter of truck wheels--.970"
Width of cab at roof--4"
Height of cab above rail head--5.25"
Diameter of smokebox--1.765"
Total wheelbase--9.5"
Driver wheelbase--2.630"

In terms of looks and design, this is an outstanding model.  It is probably set to meter gauge and to accomplish this without destroying the looks, they made the cranks and outside frame very thin.  The outside frame is a decoration.  The motor block is the main frame.  I have been told the motor in this model is faulty, but the engine hasn't been run enough to determine this.  It runs OK--just not as satin smooth as their Shay.

Bernie

Phil Raynes replied:
To return to the 2' gauge discussion, a sister Manning/Wardle 2-6-2T (Lew)was sold to Brazil after the line closed. Rumors persist that it is still extant, but no photos or firm evidence have surfaced. Even those who have looked for it have not found it yet.

Phil

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Ken Fleming
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »

The latest on Recreating LYN.  A very good blog. 

http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/baldwin242/baldwin.htm
John Stone
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »

Really neat! I love the combining of a beautiful Baldwin design with thoroughly modern steam concepts. She should be quite an impressive little hog when completed!
I did not notice any steam delivery pipe to the underside of the grates. My limited (very) knowledge of gas producer firebox design has steam introduced beneath the grates to aid in the production of gases and to eliminate, to a great extent, the forming of clinkers. Do you know if the L&B intends such a setup?

Thanks for posting this very interesting article. Maybe some day I'll get to England to see her run. Til then, there's always Youtube!
John Kokas
Museum Member
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »

Came across this wonderful video from the L&B Rwy. in Devon.  [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMpdTJ_4BU]  The story is so similar to ours that doing our own video for use in advertising might be a great plus.  Put in our own "Maine" version of local folk music and you've got it.  Maybe some shorter clips could also make for some great TV ads on public television or larger markets.

Steven, without hesitation I would ask that you shoot the video as your photographic skills and composition are unmatched in my book.  Smiley
Steve Smith
Museum Member
Fireman

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:07:03 AM »

Ed Lecuyer, this is a wonderful thread, but I question whether it should be in the Welsh Two Footers section, because the Lynton and Barnstaple isn't in Wales. It's in England, in the province of Devon.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Administrator
Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »

Thanks Steve for pointing that out. My knowledge of overseas narrow gauge is lacking a bit.

That said, I consider Welsh and English two footers "close enough", so I changed the name of the forum category to reflect that.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »

A small correction: it's the *County* of Devon, not province.
Steve Smith
Museum Member
Fireman

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:30:08 PM »

Well Philip, as I posted my message, on the desk right next to our computer was a file folder marked "Map of English Counties." Fat lot of good it did me, eh?  Grin
Bill Sample
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »

I always thought that the WW&F revival story was part Welsh Highland (which I had seen the roadbed of) and part Lynton & Barnstaple (hopefully to see on a future holiday).  I know that there are other similar  ~2 foot railway revivals in addition to these that I am not familiar with, maybe locations for other future visits.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: