Author Topic: July work week  (Read 3164 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
July work week
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
July work week has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Bill Reidy wrote:
Are many people from away planning to attend the coming work week next week?  The brush was pretty high along the right-of-way two weeks ago!

I plan to be at the museum Monday and (most likely) tomorrow as well.

- Bill

gordon cook replied:
FWIW, I plan to be there on Thursday, so save me a weedwhacker@!!

Bill Reidy replied:
Over the last two days about 100-150 feet along the very north end of track was done, as well as the full width of 1200 feet of graded right-of-way  immediately north of the end of track.  I understand this is in preparation for the fall track work weekend.

The plan the rest of the week is to now head south along the track in service, hopefully reaching Alna Center by the end of the week.

- Bill

Allan Fisher replied:
With a crew of 6 today, we made it to the Albee crossing. That makes 2400 feet of right of way completely cleared, with 2100 feet left to get to Alna Center!

We also moved all  the wood used for cribbing newly laid rail to the end of track. (This was wood never picked up from last Octobers and this Aprils track weekends.)

Allan Fisher replied:
At the end of today's cutting, the crew has brushcut the entire Right of Way from Top of the Mountain to just south of the Alna Center Siding South End switch.

Bill Reidy replied:
Allan - that's a great job (and a lot of cutting) done the last three days.

The right-of-way sure looks a lot better after it's been cut.  It makes a much better presentation of the museum to the public.

- Bill

Stewart Rhine replied:
Sounds like the railroad will look great for the picnic.  We'll have to do special a photo shoot at AC.

Allan Fisher replied:
Les Fossel plans to stage his old Ford Truck at Alna Center for pictures at the Annual Picnic.

Stewart Rhine replied:
I have seen Les' truck, it's the 1928 Model AA flatbed that he and Harry used to own together.  It looks a bit like the Ford AA flatbed that the B&HR used to haul the kids trunks from the railroad to the camps.  That will look good in a scene with the train or backed up to 309 tied down on the siding.

Allan Fisher replied:
A rain shortened Friday saw the cutting complete to 150 south of the South Alna Center Yard Limits sign

Anyone who would like to help finish the brushcutting before the annual picnic should stop in and make arrangements to reserve a brushcutter for an hour, a day or a week. See Fred Morse or Allan Fisher.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum