Author Topic: Useful Stuff on eBay  (Read 105069 times)

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Useful Stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 01:06:14 AM »
I would love to have seen the Head Tide station view that is mentioned, above.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »
Here is the 1937 Head Tide view. I cropped out the "ebay scan" that was across the top.
Note that this is for illustrative purposes only; the WW&F Museum does not own this photo nor the right to reprint it.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
The museum has purchased the 1939 Wiscasset Shop slide.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
1901 WW&F Bond... Currently in GERMANY??!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283000315878
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
This popped up yesterday. I'm having trouble determining the orientation, but my guess is looking north?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-SLIDE-Wiscasset-Waterville-Farmington-yard-scene-Albion-Original-Kodachro/163107519098

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »
Yes, you are looking north. The same seller (kayakers1107) sold a matching view a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the museum did not purchase that slide; we are still deciding if we want this one for the archives.

This same seller has also sold many B&H/B&SR, Monson, and SR&RL slides; for those interested in those roads.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 04:03:51 PM »
This seller appears to be sitting on a treasure trove of rare unpublished images of the Maine Two-Footers, both color slides and black and white negatives, and has been selling them one by one on Ebay for several years now. Here is another one (attached) that came up for sale back in 2014 I think, showing engines 2 and 4 inside the Wiscasset coal shed after abandonment. I tried to get it but was outbid, so I have no idea who owns it now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:07:35 PM by Philip Marshall »

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
This seller appears to be sitting on a treasure trove of rare unpublished images of the Maine Two-Footers, both color slides and black and white negatives, and has been selling them one by one on Ebay for several years now. Here is another one (attached) that came up for sale back in 2014 I think, showing engines 2 and 4 inside the Wiscasset coal shed after abandonment. I tried to get it but was outbid, so I have no idea who owns it now.

So how about the BoD designates an official delegate to approach the seller and arrange a review of their collection and bulk buy of anything of interest?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
Already attempted. Twice. No response from the seller, yet.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »
Ed, thanks for showing Head Tide. It is my favourite station.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:54:06 AM by John Scott »

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »
Here are two other color slides that came up for sale in the past year, images that are simply amazing. I have no idea who owns them now.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
I believe that some sellers do not want anyone going through their collections for whatever reasons.  Our local library which is in a repurposed former Lehigh Valley Railroad engine house tried to visit a seller who sold them two original blue prints of the building.  Nothing ever happened.  These blue prints are treasured by the group and they paid a princely sum for them and were willing to pay similarly for any more--no luck.  If there are any more, we will have to wait until the seller decides to put them up for bid.  I keep bugging the friend who found them on Ebay to see if he spotted any more.  The blue prints were framed and are on display in the "Engine House" (as the library is called).  I stare at them every time I visit.

Bernie

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
The museum was outbid on the Albion slide and the seller appears unwilling to work with us. If anyone knows who is buying these slides, please let us know.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
When you say "The Museum": Is there only one individual bidding on behalf of the museum, or multiple individuals? I do see a few posts back that Linc Reed-Nickerson is the official "ebay guy" but I didn't know if others are bidding as well.

I ask because the bid histories for the two recent auctions of interest (Wiscasset Yard and Albion Yard) look squirrelly. eBay obfuscates user IDs, but I suspect the feedback rating is honest. If it is, then the "Museum" that won the Wiscasset auction is not the same "Museum" that lost the recent Albion auction. The winner of the Wiscasset auction has a feedback rating of 97, but no participant in the Albion auction has such a rating.

The only overlap on the two auctions is the user obfuscated as e***2 (8645), who won the more recent Albion auction. That same user lost the older Albion auction from Oct 5 as well.

Otherwise, all the participants and winners in the auctions (for which ended-listing info is still available) are all unique. So as far as I can tell, there's no "rival" WWFRy historian snapping these up. I think it's just people interested in slides of cool old train stuff.

It is an unfortunate side-effect of blind auctions, but all we can do is all we can do, and try not to cannibalize each other's efforts.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:14 PM »
Specifically:
I purchased the Wiscasset Yard slide on behalf of the museum using my ebay account. This effort was coordinated with our archivist (Linda Zollers) and newly-anointed official ebay liasson, Linc Reed-Nickerson.

Linc (in a coordinated effort with Linda and me) attempted to purchase the latest Albion slide on behalf of the museum. He was outbid, possibly by someone who has purchased several of these WW&F slides.

The museum (in any official capacity) did not bid on any prior slides from this seller.

Going forward, if someone sees something that the museum should have in its collection, please coordinate its purchase through Linc & Linda, either in this thread, or via ebaysales@wwfry.org and archivist@wwfry.org.

On occasion, several members have purchased and many donated suitable items from ebay, Discover Live Steam, and many other sources. We just need to try to not trip over ourselves when doing so. We should also be sure that the items are actually needed and are not surplus to our collection. For example, we have no need for the 24" "speeder" currently being sold on Discover Live Steam.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum