Author Topic: Useful Stuff on eBay  (Read 14721 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Useful Stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
Engine 1 view is cropped from the photo of a work train in the Head Tide cut.  Coach 3 photo was taken at Edaville.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 01:45:37 AM »
See also http://www.wwfry.org/giftshop/pics/Two-Footer_Trilogy.jpg a combined volume of three Clinton Thurlow books available at your friendly local WW&F Gift Shop.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:46 AM »
George Mansfield's business card came up for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-ECONOMIC-RAILWAYS-MANSFIELD-SYSTEM-Boston-MA-BILLERICA-BEDFORD-RR-/162070915599

The text on the card reads, "Geo. E. Mansfield, 24 Washington Street, Boston. Economic Railways, Mansfield System". It would appear to date from his post-B&SR work as a private railroad consultant, maybe late 1880s.

I was the only bidder, which surprised me. (Needless to say I think it's worth more than $4.99.) My plan is eventually to donate it to the museum.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
That's wonderful, thank you Philip.

Troy Congdon

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
I have no idea if this has any value to the WW&F but maybe?

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mat/5680612782.html

They have a rubber railroad crossing for sale. If 218 or Cross road were to be crossed at the musiam's expense or if there were value in a rubber crossing elsewhere on campus, this is a cheap albait standard gague one.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
The problem with the rubber traffic crossing pads is their thickness.  They are designed to bolt on top of the ties and to match the height of the rail, this would require 123 or 132 lb rail.  Ours is way smaller, 56 lb.  If my memory is correct that would work out to about 4 3/4 to 5 inches (incl. tie plates).  Nice idea, but probably more trouble than they are worth.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
Actual crossing design may require heavier rail. Depends on the State engineers.
Another thing is cost. We thrive on donations...(hint hint)
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 01:22:48 AM »
The rail and track expert at the Colorado Railroad Museum said that no lighter than 115# rail should be used in our 218 crossing. Reason: lighter rail will be pounded to death by the heavy truck traffic. He further stated it is an easy transition from 60# to 90# to 115#. He will even furnish the bars if we do the project.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »
The Stewartstown Railroad, which uses 60# rail, did just that arrangement when Pennsylvania upgraded the grade crossing with Susquehanna Trail: they transitioned to 90# then to industry standard 115# rail, which most light rail systems use.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 12:52:21 PM »
Heavy rail in crossings helps prevent gauge problems from plow trucks.  Some railroads used to run six rails through the crossing with the center rail (of each three) being the running rail.  The outer rail is a plow guard and inside rail is the flange guard.