Author Topic: Maps of the WW&F Museum  (Read 117637 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: Maps of the WW&F Museum
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
Are there still plans to eventually extend the railroad to Head Tide or have those plans been canceled and the end of the line will end at the Highway?
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 02:43:23 AM »
No, those 'plans' have not been cancelled, but there never was an official 'plan' either.

Right now we are concentrating our effort on completing the Mountain Extension. We are already beginning to assess in which direction to extend track next and how far. That being said, extending to The Head Tide area might not be the next thing to happen, but it is on the table.

Rest assured that an announcement will be made at an appropriate time once a decision has been made.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
To add a little information to what Steve has said, we have been lightly discussing our next track expansion. The section along The Sheepscot River could be a nice ride, but may require extensive expensive work. There are a couple large projects at Sheepscot we want to tackle. Those may get started before the next extension phase begins.

We are also looking into going south from Sheepscot. This will have a true operational benefit, rather than just extending the ride. But for now, the short term goal is route 218. Once we accomplish that, then we can start looking into this.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Skyler Kimball

• Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »
WOW! With all the talk over going toward 218, I completely forgot that there is an alternative to going north. I must admit, whenever I stand on the platform, I always look longingly at the neatly mowed path old ROW to the south, across the road, and wonder...

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »
That’s sounds great, so you guys feel a lot more confident at building a road crossing at Sheepscots and getting the railroad Involved with the FRA as I remember years ago you guys were talking like it was not worth building that road crossing. I’m glad your operation has expanded so much since you guys first started.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »
One thing we are in desperate need of is a regular track crew. Which will also be taken into consideration.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »
One thing we are in desperate need of is a regular track crew. Which will also be taken into consideration.

In other words, we shouldn't build more than we can maintain.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »
I think it’s much more fair to say that any expansion will ensure a complete maintenance plan is in place.  No one aspect governs such decisions; instead all aspects must be considered.

It is also fair to say that we are becoming much more cognizant of the level of maintenance which the track and right of way deserve, and that we need to improve our performance in those areas.  Joe’s been doing a great job both advocating and executing that attention.

See ya
Jason

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »
If we are going to get into a chat about track, I would like to suggest that we work toward adjusting the vertical curves in a few spots. Prime candidates would be the sag north of the Humason bridge and the sharp dip south of the south switch at Top of the Mountain.

Of course I know there are other, higher priorities, but those would improve the ride of our equipment and reduce wear and tear. Just something to consider.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 02:05:03 AM »
Honestly, a tamper with 8 heads would greatly speed up track maintenance as our only current slow track project is tamping. And we are working towards that little by little, however the longer the track becomes the more important it is to have a designated track crew. But then again some machinery might help mitigate the volunteer effort needed on track. Just like the more equipment we get the more important it is to keep up on maintenance, which is currently handled extremely well.

Expansion, in my mind is something that keeps us both growing and in everyones mind on what they will see next. But there will come a time when man power starts to become a factor.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 06:53:40 AM »
I think the happy median will be for more mechanization to support MOW work during the weekdays but still save the "old fashioned" hand labor work for the work weekends.  It may not be as efficient, but I think the enjoyment for everyone is being out together and the jovial ribbing and jokes that naturally come with the job.

On a side note, I believe we have a couple of members who hail from the land down under.  Since they have the largest 2' rail network in the world, it would probably help to inquire what the major lines use for MOW equipment and who might have used equipment for sale.
Moxie Bootlegger

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2019, 06:33:43 PM »
Personally, I enjoy our giant work parties, but yes the day to day maintenance is getting closer to mechanized machines each year. Rest assured there will always be a need for our work party days.

Russ Nelson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2019, 08:36:16 PM »
Personally, I enjoy our giant work parties, but yes the day to day maintenance is getting closer to mechanized machines each year. Rest assured there will always be a need for our work party days.
So when is the Summer Work Weekend this year?  ;)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
Rock the Mountain.
July 20th and 21st, Roadmaster Joe Fox would love a large crew of volunteers to get the track on the Mountain completely ballasted, tamped, and prepared for service during Fall Work Weekend and beyond. Additionally, there are plans to address a few other sections on the line that require routine maintenance. It promises to be a great weekend of work and will be incredibly helpful keeping the entire Railway in fine shape, as this weekend will help to knock some projects off of the track crews list, so come on out and ‘Rock the Mountain’ with us!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »
Is there a serious attempt to investigate buying used, 24-inch gauge track maintenance equipment from Australia, another country, domestically?
There sure seems to be an urgent need for a higher-capacity tamper, at least.
Paul Uhland