Author Topic: SR&RL Annual Meeting  (Read 20843 times)

Bernie Perch

  • Museum Member
  • Hostler
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »
Stewart,

I know I have no authority in this matter, but couldn't they have castings made from the WW&F patterns and shrink the tires on like they are doing for Leon's.  The more the pattern would get used, the more I would like it.  I know the pressed steel wheels would be easier to use, but why not go full hog when the patterns are in existence.

Bernie

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »
Bernie,  I think it's the cost.  They would like to have the cast wheels but they are mostly going with donated materials to keep costs down.

Stewart

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
Secretary Bob Troup has announced that the Fall 2009 meeting will be held on Saturday, October 3rd in the Phillips Community Center on Main Street.   Dinner will be served at 6:00PM and the meeting will start at 7:00PM.  The agenda will include reports by the railroad's officers and election of Directors.  Some of the issues to be addressed are; the repairs to Monson #3, a reliable coal supply, restoration of the cars leased from MNGRR, restoration of coach #5 (aka#17), the ROW fund and construction of the new car barn.  There are a number of proposals for the car barn.  One plan favors a steel framed structure with wooden (board & batten) siding while another plan specs a completely wooden building.  There will be discussion on having a fund drive to raise money for the construction of the building. 

The railroad will be operating on both Saturday and Sunday of that weekend.

Anyone who plans to attend the dinner and meeting should notify President Eric Hinkley at president@srrl-rr.org


Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 03:45:17 PM »
Forgot to mention - During the meeting there should be an update on the railcar project.  As some of you may remember, Noah McAdam is building a replica of SR&RL railcar #3 which was the only two foot gauge Model A powered railcar.  It may be ready sometime in 2010.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »
Secretary Bob Troup has announced that the SR&RL will hold a Spring meeting on Saturday, April 24th at 1:00 PM.  (This is the same Saturday of the WW&F work party) The meeting will be held in the Concord & Montreal coach at the Bridge Street end of the railroad.  Both Saturday and Sunday of that weekend will be work days at Phillips. The coach is not heated so if the day is too cold the meeting will be held around the stove in the freight house. 

The Agenda will be as follows:

1. President's report
2. Secretary's report
3. Treasurer's report
4. Nominating Committee
5. Report on motive power, Monson #3, on-going restoration.
6. Coal Supply
7. Rolling stock leased from MNGRR
8. Proposed construction of the car barn
9. Campaign to raise funds for the car barn
10. Coach #17 - restoration of the seats, brakes and roof
11. Section house roof repair
12. Designing a new color brochure

Please contact Eric Hinkley at president@srrl-rr.org or send a post card marked "Meeting" to SR&RL RR P.O. Box B Phillips, ME 04966  if you plan to attend.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

  • Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • ****
  • Posts: 542
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Ooohhh! Neat stuff!  ;D

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 11:55:26 PM »
Secretary Bob Troup has announced that the SR&RL RR will hold it's 2011 Spring meeting on Saturday, May 7th at 1:00 PM in the Concord & Montreal Coach at the Bridge Street end of the railroad.  The coach is not heated so if the day is cold the meeting will be held by the stove in the freight house.  Note: Both Saturday and Sunday are work days at Phillips. Those that plan on attending the meeting should let Bob know at his email: secretary (at) srrl-rr.org.

The agenda will be as follows:
1. President's report
2. Secretary's report
3. Treasurer's report
4. Status of the Town of Phillips Revitalization Committee
5. Progress on the restoration on Monson #3 (leased from MNGRR)
6. Coal Supply
7. Cars/rolling stock leased from MNGRR
8. Car barn plan
9. Coach #5 (aka#17), work on seats, brakes and roof
10. Timber harvesting report
11. Any other business may come before the railroad's officers
 

John McNamara

  • Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,055
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »
Will the WW&F helicopter be available to transport us from the SR&RL annual meeting at 1 PM to the WW&F annual meeting at 2 PM? http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1225017/WWFCopter.JPG

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
John,
     I was thinking we could borrow Reds airplane!  Yep, it seems that the WW&F and SR&RL meetings always fall on the same day... must be some kind of conspiracy   ???

Stewart

James Patten

  • Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,743
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
Will the WW&F helicopter be available to transport us from the SR&RL annual meeting at 1 PM to the WW&F annual meeting at 2 PM?

John, I don't think the helicopter will be fast enough.  We'll have to use the DeLorean to go back in time.  Meetings like that always take much longer than an hour to run.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
Here are the specifics on a few items to be addresed at the meeting this Saturday. 

Restoration of Monson #3 - More deteriorated old welded spots were discovered earlier this year.  The additional repairs will delay the locomotives return to Phillips, probably to mid-summer at the earliest.  The engine will then need re-assembly work by the shop crew so she may not be in steam until 2012.  The additional repairs have cost $65,000 as opposed to the original estimate of about $20,000.

Sandy River coach 5 / SR&RL 17 - The restoration of the car continues with much work being done by Stan Waterhouse and John Stinchfield.

Car storage building - Some funds have been received from the sale of wood cut from the railroads' property at Phillips.  Also, funds were received from the bequeathed estate of David Coffin, former member and director.  These monies should be enough to construct the roof and sides of the planned storage facility.

The new Membership Secretary is Tom Moore who took over for Gene Milgram.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »
Information from a recent letter from President Tom Moore to SR&RL members:

* Work on SRRR coach #5 / SR&RL #17 continues under the supervision of Stan Waterhouse. 

* Cory Ellis reports that progress has been made in Phase 1 of the restoration of the historic residence Ambleside.   A number of large donations and grants have made the work on the project possible.

* Work continues on Monson #3.

* Treasurer Bill Berry advises that there are now enough funds on hand for construction of the much needed car barn.  We expect action on the project in the near future.

* Editor Dave Jacobs has produced 3 issues of the redesigned "Happenings on the Sandy River" newsletter. Dave is also testing new ideas for the promotion and marketing of the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
Notice of the Spring Meeting has been sent out by Secretary Bob Troup. 

Meeting date: May 7th

Location: Concord & Montreal coach behind the Bridge Street terminal.

Agenda:

* President, Secretary and Treasurer give their reports.

* 2016 National Narrow Gauge Convention plan: Bus tours, roundhouse tours and special trains.

* Ambleside House - report on restoration.

* Nominating Committee / Nominations for officers.

* Monson locomotive #3 (leased from MNG)

     (a) Return date
     (b) Water supply
     (c) Coal - supply and storage
     (d) Engineer in Charge confirmation.

* Car Chief's Report

* Website and Facebook

* Coach #5 / #17

     (a) Seats
     (b) Brakes
     (c) Roof

* Car Barn

* Other SR&RL RR business. 


Stewart "Start" Rhine

  • Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
  • *******
  • Posts: 2,779
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 12:26:45 PM »
The Fall 2016 Meeting agenda has been sent to members.  The meeting will be convened at 6:00 PM on Saturday, October 8th in the Forster Building at 14 South Main Street in Strong.  Topics include:

*  President's report

*  Secretary's report

*  Treasurer's report

*  Car barn plans

*  Rolling stock and Building Chief's report

*  Proposal for a special event

*  Repair of locomotives

*  Steam operations report with convention recap.

*  Boxcar display kiosk - to be set up at the Kennebunk Service Plaza

*  Marketing and a proposal to adopt new technologies for communications with members and the public.

*  Website

*  Ambleside mansion

Philip Marshall

  • Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • ****
  • Posts: 471
    • View Profile
Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »
Does the "boxcar display kiosk" mean they're going to move a boxcar to the Kennebunk rest area? I think it's a great idea, though I would be concerned about security.