Author Topic: May 2009 work planning  (Read 7581 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: May 2009 work planning
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 01:16:44 AM »
Planning on a full day of railcar bearing box machining Saturday, but...

There is some chance that No 9's boiler will be at Sheepscot ready for unloading.  This will require freeing up a couple of shop trucks, and then getting it onto the trucks.  Not definite yet, though. 

Jason

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 01:35:22 AM »
  James,  With the possiblity of rain when do you think the painting of the shop will be complete?  Adding the additional crane rails and finishing the shelves upstairs will that complete the shop or is there additional items to complete?  When will the steam program begin this summer?   Thanks again for the updates.   Fred L. Kuhns

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
Painting of the shop will probably be picked away at all summer long.  Until Stewart arrives during one of his week-long visits and finishes the job  ;D

Once the crane rails are up, there's still the electrical to work on.  The volunteer who's working on that (also a licensed electrician) lives on the Cape, so he gets up once or twice a month.  Beyond that I really don't know what's left.  Zack keeps surprising me with these little one-off projects he does (like extra bracing inside, and so on).  Once the battens are on all the Machine Shop walls that should be it except for painting.

Steam will start on July 4 in earnest.  We cut back our steam program this year not because of money, but because of manpower.  We only have a few people with boiler licenses, and Real Life seems to keep getting in the way.  We'll be running it Fathers Day weekend; all weekends of July and August; Labor Day weekend; and more weekends in September if the crew is available.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
Recap for the weekend

Car shop: As Mike said in his report, the new sections of crane rails are up, the end sections will have to go up next weekend.  In the machine shop, Jason was working on railcar stuff.  Also the big casting for #9 is up on the milling machine.

Little compressor: I charged up the battery of the little air compressor.  I tried starting it on Sunday afternoon and it started right up.

#9: The cab is on the platform, which is on castors.  The boiler did not show up, but the bill did, which I promptly paid.  The biggest check I've ever written.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »
Sounds like a new battery may be in order. I had the same trouble back in March when I used it.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 12:02:08 AM »
I had to goose the compressor car with a battery charger during the April Track Weekend, too.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »
Thanks for charging it up, James.  We probably do need to get a new battery for it.  That one winter that is sat outside didn't do it any favors.  I also need to change the oil and filter.