Author Topic: May 2009 work planning  (Read 7582 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
May 2009 work planning
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday, May 2.

Annual Meeting: The annual meeting starts at 2 and is at the Alna Meeting House (the big yellow building by the cemetary that you can see from the train north of Alna Center).  Voting on directors and reports for the past year.  All members welcome.  If you joined as a member at the work weekend you can exercise your right to vote.

Ballast: There's a small pile of ballast left at Sheepscot that I'm sure Zack would love to get rid of.  Looks like enough for a flatcar load.  If it hasn't already been done, the inside of the car shop where the track was raised needs ballast.  Otherwise I've got places for it in the yard.

Jayne's Way Xing: More shoveling of gravel from the culverts is needed here.  If there's enough people around that want to help we can start removing "dirty" ballast from near the crossing and replace it with clean.

Preble's: Whatever is left to do on Preble's will probably be done.

Windows: Hopefully the proper sized windows will be in and will be installed in the east wall of the car shop.

Painting: Around the windows still needs paint, although I hear the weather will probably not be ideal for it.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: May 2009 work planning
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
Dana is planning on some balasting for May 9th.  perhaps the balast can be loaded on the flat car that still has a partial load after the shop tracks are taken care of
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
James,  We put ballast on the last 5-6 ties at the south end of bay 2 track where it meets the concrete floor.  Bay 3 needs stone.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
Saturday wrap-up:

Annual Meeting: everyone up for election got elected.  Hooray!

Prebles: Nearly done.  Steve's been working on it during the week.  One wall left to shingle.  I didn't realize it earlier, but donations from last weekend are just about enough to cover the cost of the building!

Windows: Not arrived yet.

The day was fairly laid back, with not a whole lot getting done (except by energetic individuals).

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
Anticipated work for the weekend of May 9:

Friday board meeting: 4:30 until we run out of things to talk about.

Saturday:
Track work: Dana is taking out a work crew to 1) replace planks on Sheepscot Mills crossing, 2) dump gravel at the north end of track.

Car shop: Windows go in, if they are in.  Zack will probably continue battening on the machine shop.  Something might happen with the overhead crane.

Prebles: It's probably done and will be delivered today to Maine Heritage Village.

Other stuff: Machining for railcar? Likely.  Running passenger trains? Yes.  There's probably more that I'm not thinking of.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »
Here's how Saturday went:

Track work: We replaced the planks on Sheepscot Mills Crossing.  This took rather longer, I think, than Dana was anticipating.  Certainly longer than I thought it would.  It's thanks to the lag bolts holding the boards down.  Anyway, after that we loaded up both flatcars with stone at AC, then went north to the end.  Dana had us line some track, then we unloaded one flatcar.  Then back for lunch.  I didn't go up with the crew after lunch, but I assume the second flat was emptied and everything else happened the way Dana wanted.

Prebles: As reported elsewhere it is now off the property.

Car Shop: Windows? What windows?  Let's use a Macintosh instead.  New, sturdy shelves have started to go up upstairs, on the west wall in the old section.  Zack kept going with battens on the machine shop.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
After lunch, we unloaded the second flat to dress a portion of the lined track.  Then we headed back to Alna Center for one more car load of stone.  At this point, I left with Dave B., as the train headed back north to the end of track.  It was expected this last carload would dress the remaining lined track, putting everything tamped in service expect one rail length at the very end on the "ramp."

As I left, I assumed everything had gone the way Dana wanted, as he was smiling.

- Bill

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
Saturday was a very productive day and we had a good sized crew.  We replaced the planks at Sheepscot Mills crossing and then we lined and ballasted all of the track that had been tamped during the work weekend and it is all now in service up to "the ramp".  We had some leftover ballast that we put on the section north of the ramp.  It was a great day overall.  Thanks to everyone who showed up to help!

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:04:50 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday May 16:

Jayne's Way Crossing: I'd like to do some work at Jayne's Way, removing the gravel from the culvert, and removing ballast from the railroad that's got gravel and mud all through it and replacing it with clean ballast.  The dirty ballast can be put inside the car shop.  I plan to do this for at least the morning.  I would greatly appreciate the help.  I plan to work around passenger trains.

Car shop: Zack will probably continue on battening the machine shop walls.  Other projects include windows, putting up the new crane system, painting the exterior.

Other: Machining likely (for railcar and 9), running trains likely. 

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:50 AM »
Stuff done on May 16:

Jayne's Way: I, Leon, and Steve Z removed most of the gravel-impregnated ballast from the north end of the crossing.  I say "most" because as I dug down it became clear that "dirty" ballast would be found down past the tie bottoms.  Knowing that there's only a couple of inches of stone below the bottom of the ties, I only went to the bottom.   We cleaned out on the sides too, then ballasted with a fresh flatcar of stone.

We then went to work on the culvert.  Someone had the brilliant idea of having the fire company come in and blast out the culvert.  I called Roger, he was willing, and around 1:30 the fire truck pulled in.  In less than a minute the culvert was squeaky clean.

Car shop: The windows came in.  Zack and Marcel installed them, then started on finishing the battens.  The difference in color between the new and ones that have "aged" a month is pretty clear.  Zack and Marcel continued working on the machine shop side.  One unit of shelving is in upstairs in the old section.  Once the crane rails are up they will continue.  Speaking of which, I think Zack's going to work on crane rails in on the 30th.

#10: Realizing the Memorial Day is next weekend, Jason put together a new piston packing for the brake cylinder, fired up #10, and took a trip with it.  Everything worked.

I was rather busy with treasurer-related stuff for much of the day, so I spent part of it printing, stapling, discussing business, etc.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »
Anticipated work for Memorial Day Weekend (May 23 - 25).

Zack's out, Jason's out, Fred's out.  It's the beginning of the summer season, so we'll be running steam and hopefully pulling a lot of passengers.

Jayne's Way: I'm going to attempt to work on the south half of the crossing (there's still some mud-encrusted ballast), as well as lining the track north of the crossing.  This before the first train, so I'll be going out around 7:15-7:30 on Saturday.

Car shop: The east wall still needs painting (as do the crane rails), the track inside the shop is still needing ballast.  After 10:00 (Saturday) I'll probably start on putting the ballast that's still on the flatcars on the ground in the shop. 

Too big "Big Joe" doesn't have an air compressor big enough, I'd really like to take him out on the main line.

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »
James,
 Only flat 118 has any ballast on it. I took 126 to the end of track yesterday and emptied it in anticipation of Jason needing it for #9's boiler delivery today.If need be, I can load some more on Sat.
Steve
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:20:33 AM by Steve Zuppa »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »
I am also still out. Work Sunday/Monday.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Work done on May 23-25

Had kind of a thin crew, at least for Saturday and Monday. 

Painting: On Saturday Linda wanted to paint, eventually the right paint for primer was found/bought.  She eventually got to paint.  On Sunday I think some painting also occurred.  I did some painting Monday afternoon.

Ballast: I moved out Coach 3 from Bay 3, and did some ballasting in the bay.  I emptied the flatcar which had the stone from the north side of Jayne's Way.  The ballast was quite dirty.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
Anticipated work for Sat-Sun May 30 and 31

Looks like it may rain on Saturday, so probably most work will be indoors.

Car shop: Zack might be ready to start working on the crane rail.  The shelf builders upstairs cannot continue with the shelving until the crane rail is done, because the shelvers are also putting plywood on the floor over the board that are there.

#9: Marcel has built a platform to put #9's cab on, all it lacks are wheels to roll the thing around.  Presumably it will get wheels this weekend and be rolled around so it won't get crushed should a crane rail fall.  Marcel can continue working on it.

Trains: Running diesel trains this weekend.