Author Topic: Two Foot Railroad for sale in NH  (Read 8168 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Historical Topo Maps
Two Foot Railroad for sale in NH
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
I just got the following message from a new forum participant who was having trouble posting:

All I wanted to do is to inform your people of a homemade layout over here in New Hampshire with a track of (about) 24".  Don't hold me to that.  This man built EVERYTHING from scratch.  It has two engines, one steam, one a simulated diesel with an old Chevy truck six that stands about six feet high.  There's a lot of rolling stock, track, buildings, towers, etc..  It was built, of course, as a hobby, and is now sitting, both in and outdoors, deteriorating.  It was, as of last fall, for sale and I'd hate to see it go for scrap. If anyone is interested (seriously), I'll try to put him together with that person, if I can still get in touch with him. Thanks, Norm Ellis  603-335-4624 or my e-mail.  Good fortune on your project!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Two Foot Railroad for sale in NH
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
Sounds like this could be the "MM&D" RR...near Sanbornville, NH. If this is the same one I'm thinking of, it's more like 15" or 19" gauge. The gentleman began building it for his kids about 35 years ago... of course they're all grow'd up now! The description of equipment, it's present condition, and that some of the trackage runs into shop buildings sounds very similar... how many places like this can exist in New Hampshire? (unless it's Beaver Brook...)

Can Mr Ellis send private messages?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Historical Topo Maps
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
You should be able to PM "Norm Ellis" through the forum to get in touch with Norm. I also fixed Norm's account so that he can post here.

I noted that there is a fair amount of misc. 2ft stuff available at http://www.discoverlivesteam.com. It's all home built and I didn't see anything that we could really use at the WW&F.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Norm Ellis

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
 Hi, Steven:  You are right-this is the same setup.  It's quite detailed and a fairly extensive amount of stock and equipment, which is now in need of some serious tlc.  I haven't been in touch with the gentleman in some time, so, I don't really know the present status.  My only concern has been, and is, for the rescue of this unique project that a man with a tremendous amount of patience put a lot time into years ago.  He's plain tired now and just wants it gone.  I'd love to have it to tinker with, but it needs someone with the room finances and ability. 

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:30:13 AM »
Norm, my dad and my brother and I happened by there 35 or so years ago and Dave happened to be out "tinkering." He gave us rides around the place behind a gas-powered homemade, B&M painted GP7...the trackage which appears from the road to be nothing more than a football field-sized loop actually goes off into the woods for what seemed like miles...probably more like a few thousand feet, over trestles, etc. Pretty amazing. As I recall a portion was electric as well, with a home-built trolley car.

This is the same gentleman who built the Wolfeboro railroad's beautiful Wakefield and Fernald stations. 

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
Just in case anyone else had been thinking of persuing this,

The railroad mentioned above is no longer for sale.  The gentleman has changed his mind and is not willing to broach the subject.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
Well, I've read this 5 year old post and don't want to start a new topic.  I was in this NH neighborhood Friday, June 20 to capture a Willys Jeep and had come to know this gentleman previously.  My buddy and I were given a GARAGE TOUR, as we old car people call it.  I'm not going to further identify the owner as I see he is known to others that need.  This is a 20 acre site with more than a mile of 2' narrow gauge rail layout, several spurs including sap camps and side buildings.  The rolling stock he and relatives / friends have scratch built right on site in a very well equipped fab shop is amazing and mind boggling.  As stated above there is steam power as well as gas, lots of freight cars, a tanker, flats, crane, tandem locomotives, switcher, turn table, and much that I've not mentioned.  I'm guessing there is 25+ pieces of rolling stock mostly riding on trucks from old mine equipment which also provided most of the rail.  I didn't see any pile of extra rail and assume he used about what he had.  As stated above the facility is in a state of disuse, though I gathered he sometimes still makes short runs with friends. The quality of workmanship is exceptional, especially to the untrained eye, but probably not strictly to original standards.  As I understand it, all items are built to one-quarter scale.  The old buildings are holding up well and all rolling stock seems to be protected from the elements.  I'll not speculate on sale aspects, but being long past prime of life, he is hopeful it can be saved somehow for the future.  His brother, who had a big hand in the development of the project, is one of our "Breakfast Crew" here in Smithfield.  I listen to lots of great stories of young brothers working side by side developing ideas and methods, bringing what must have been a fantastic exhibit to fruition.  Our times today are much different with legal liability etc. and this  once beautiful layout is a victim. Contact me privately for further discussion.

Terry Harper

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 01:50:44 AM »
Hello Glen,

I am so glad you had the chance to meet a good friend of mine and visit his 2 foot empire. As you no doubt discovered he has had a very active live in the world of railroad preservation and in particular working with steam locomotives.

I remember well during the big ice storm a number of years ago I traveled over there for a work session. He had a big generator cranking away and we were working blissfully in the shop when his wife along and wondered why we had power but the house didn't.

All good time!