Author Topic: S.R.& R.L. combine #11  (Read 24741 times)

George Pitchard

• Hobo
    • View Profile
S.R.& R.L. combine #11
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
Can someone provide a brief report on present status of this car? Or where I might find same? Haven't seen or heard much on this car these past 20 years or so.  Thanks.

Ron Ginger

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Re: S.R.& R.L. combine #11
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »
The Combine is stored under the covered shed with several other cars. There has been no real work done on it, but a restoration is very high on the wish list.

ron ginger

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
...built by Laconia, 1885.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:06:18 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:22:24 PM »
I absolutely love the deep mahogany color to that bathroom door.

BTW, This is the combine missing an end platform right?
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:35:24 AM »
The platform on the passenger end is missing but the car is in fairly good shape.  You'll notice that much of the original hardware is intact including some of the seats, the cast (railroad bronze) door locks and the clerestory roof vents.  That LACONIA stencil is really nice too.

At some point the car will be put in service.  Along with more of the cast seat frames, the car will need correct trucks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:22:47 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »
Stewart, aren't the curves at the Rwy. Village a little tight for a car of that length?
That "Laconia Car" lettering on the door is outstanding! That has to be the only intact original left....I hope they don't restore that door. Things can only be original once.
Keith

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:58:03 AM »
Hi Keith, I don't speak for BRV but I know they eased at least two curves, the one behind the shop and the one approaching the station a couple of years ago.  Heavier rail was used in the rebuild.  B&SR 11 has been running for a season on the improved track.  I believe the combine is longer than the B&SR coach so more work may be required for it to run.  As I understand, the combine restoration is a couple of years away.  Maybe someone with more info about BRV can fill in the blanks.

Stewart   

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:47:54 AM »
Hi Stewart,
I guess the car would go around the curves, but I am just curious about the amount it would overhang the curves. It is a beautiful car and I look forward to seeing it in service at Boothbay, when they finish the restoration.
Keith

Ron Ginger

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
Restoration of this car is high on the list of desired projects by the BRV Board of Directors. The simple matter of staff time and money is all that stands in the way.

We will continue to insure it is protected as best we can until we are able to do a serious restoration. We have started a project to build a new fully enclosed car house, and its dimensions were set based on the Combine being is service and on the main line. I assure you any restoration will be to the best possible level of historic preservation. We well understand the value of this car.

The Car house project will be started in the next month, the material has been ordered.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
Ron,  That's good news, thanks for the update.   Stewart

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Any word on the progress of the restoration of Combine #11?
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
Mathew,

I don't think anything has been done to the combine yet other than looking into having trucks and seat castings made. The car storage building that Ron mentioned is finished.  Rolling stock such as the B&SR car and SR&RL caboose are inside.  With the storage shed in place the combine could be moved but it is on temporary trucks on a piece of disconnected track so it wouldn't be easy.  It's not something the BRV crew would do in the operating season.  If relocation and restoration started the news would come out towards the end of the year or in 2013.  Ron or someone with BRV could add more.

Stewart   

Dan Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
 I was there a month ago, and I was hoping to see some progress with the combine. All the names and numbers have been removed. But reading the past postings about the rear platform being gone I knew it was the one. I know there is plenty of guys out there that would be more than happy to be apart of a railroad restoration project.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:31:10 AM by Ed Lecuyer »