Author Topic: Moving Rail and Ties  (Read 20569 times)

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Rail and Ties
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »
Dana,
I hope your back is better by the work weekend.  We'd really miss your voice saying "side of the care....lift....north.....
Duncan

Actually, having experienced Dana's authoritative voice this past Saturday lining track, I'm not sure if we'll all be missing it too much by the end of the track weekend.  :)
Gawdon

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »
And he called it when we were dragging the rail into place Saturday. Works good when you have the same person calling the shots moving rail. The same language is used every time. LIFT. NORTH. 4 FEET. 2 FEET. 1 FOOT. DOWN. SOUTH.................INSTATRACK.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:39:23 AM »
Don't worry, my sweet voice will be working just fine, and I hope my back will be in shape for working by then, too!  This coming Saturday, 9/27, we have a tractor and trailer lined up for hauling ties.  This will allow us to stack ties at pre-measured intervals ahead of the end of track so we can lay out ties without having to send a crew back through the rail and ballast crews to get them.  If this works it will really speed up the process and prevent a lot of standing around waiting.  So I hope we have a good turnout this weekend!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
Yeah, well, I'll have my earplugs at the ready in case Dana's voice gets too loud.

Two weeks from tomorrow, my wife and I will be heading north. I can't wait to see everyone and the progress that's been made since April. I hope I'm up to driving spikes. Haven't done any since last fall!

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
Wayne;
   For a donation on your part to the Museum I will be glad to pound spikes in your place giving you full credit for the work done. I look forward to seeing you again. It's always nice to see everyone at the Museum.
Dave

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »
Dave,
Amen to that last line.
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
No tie fighting this weekend :'( Too much rain in the forecast. Dana wants to do this during work weekend.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 05:55:56 AM »
No tie fighting this weekend :'( Too much rain in the forecast. Dana wants to do this during work weekend.

However, to qualify your statement, the flatcar still needs to be emptied for the charter next Friday.

jockellis

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 10:21:56 PM »
Hope the track laying days were enjoyable as well as productive. Lucky! When you have to cut ties in half, how do you treat them? Also, I hope everyone used ear protection so they didn't go deaf from the singing of "Drill, ye tarriers, drill"
Jock Ellis