Author Topic: Spring Work Weekend Dates 2009  (Read 19761 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Work Weekend Dates 2009
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »
Plenty of wood blocking at Sheepscot. Rough ends which would be proper for the time period. Got some rough dimensions Stewart? I'll grab one and build it while we are thinking of it.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
Thanks Mike, The flag block is 4" X 6" and is 3" deep, the pocket is centered.  The edges and corners are routed to a 1/8" flat. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
Wow. A beefy piece of wood for a flag. I'll see what I can find next weekend, but perhaps I may have something right here at home. I'll see what I can work up. Might be out of pine, but if it is painted, it will last quite a while.
  Is the pocket at any angle or is it square with the face. And 1/8" flat. Is that is what is left of the sides or how much is removed?
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »
Mike,  I don't know the degree of angle used by the WW&F as there are no known photos of signal flags in holders.  I would drill the hole at about 45 degrees so the end of the flag is high enough to be out of the way.  The flag block gets mounted at shoulder height above the platform, on the knob side of the door frame.  If you don't have time I can put the block up when I come up in April.  The blocks corners/edges should be chamfered at 1/8" that's how much wood is removed.

Thanks,  Stewart

Josh Botting

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
So did we figure out how to get the snow blower to teh end of track, to clear off the snow for the work weekend yet?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
This is going to be one of those years where it's a good thing we moved the spring work weekend from mid to late April.
What–me worry?

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »
The snow shall be gone by then...I decree it! ;D

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »
Dana, I have the new version of the Ride the SANDY RIVER RAILROAD movie.  The film was shot by Linwood Moody in 1935.  The new release includes over 8 minutes of new footage showing the scrap trains and railcars. I'll bring the movie up if anyone wants to see it one evening.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:45:15 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »
Stewart,
IF anyone wants to see it??  It will be standing room only.  He, he.
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
I made up two flag holders. I used a 3 inch thick piece of hemlock and cut them to the 4x6 dimension. I will leave them in the station someplace, by the flags preferably but maybe up by the lanterns.
Mike

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
Great, flag holders.  I've got myself a great milk can on which I had a cast iron tractor seat mounted on it, for a stool at AC.  I figure when I am not there, it will make a great stool in the shop.  It is so comfortable, my wife had me get another one made for our camp.  I'll be bringing two dozen pairs of work gloves and some real goodies that can be sold at the book store or auctioned off. 

By the way, 60# rail is selling for about $1050 a ton.  There is 182 tons of 75# rail (nearly new) for $550 a ton.  It seems everyone is looking for and buying 60# rail.

C U You All Soon!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:11:53 PM by Ken Fleming »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »
Thanks for the flag holders Mike.  I'll be up on the 17th and will fix one to the door frame at AC station that weekend. 
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the track weekend.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 05:37:10 AM »
Hi All,

I went all the way to the end of the line on Saturday so I could look things over and get a plan of attack together in my head.  First, I'm pleased to report that the snow is gone.  Second, the black flies haven't hatched out yet!  I think that the first order of business on Friday will be hauling gravel to the low (that's an understatement!) spots on the unballasted section.  This will entail hauling it pretty near the end of track so I'd like to do that first before we start jacking and tamping, that way we will avoid a later shuffling of equipment.  Once the gravel work is done we can commence tamping on the already ballasted section.  The jacking and tamping crew will go first, then the lining crew, then stone cars will come behind to add the finish dressing of ballast.  Once we reach the end of the ballasted section we'll have to shift around.  We'll send the jacking and tamping crew to the very end of track (or we may do this part in pieces so we don't end up with an unfinished gap in the middle if time runs out) then bring in loads of stone behind them.  This way there should be constant progress with all crews out of each other's way.  The tamping crew will be on the far north end working south and the ballast trains will keep dumping stone south of them and everyone should be moving south without interference.  The lining crew will be the northmost crew in Phase II and once the whole piece has been tamped and lined the last thing to do will be to come back through with the "ballast dressing" operation.  As always plans can change.  Some famous general once said that every battle plan is sound right up to the moment the first shot is fired so we'll stay flexible within the broader plan.
     One thing I would ask is that if there is anyone going to Sheepscot this coming Saturday (4/18) who is looking for a task here's a request:  Would you please go through the shop buildings and gather up any track jacks, shovels, and lining bars that aren't being used and either put them in the section house or just consolidate them in one spot so we can collect them on 4/24?  If not, then we'll have to do that first thing on the 24th.

Thanks!  Now let's all hope, pray, dance (your choice) for good weather for our work weekend!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
2 jacks and one bar are in Bay One. More are under the tank. The boat anchors are all in the section house. I could not find 2 aluminum jacks this winter, hoping they were up by the rail pile still.
Mike