Author Topic: List of Portland Co drawings  (Read 1740 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Moderator, WW&F Forum
  • Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Historical Topo Maps
List of Portland Co drawings
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:19:41 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
List of Portland Co drawings has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Dave Crow wrote:
During the work weekend, I asked Allan and Marcel about the spiral notebook containing the list of Portland Company drawings held at the Maine Historical Society.  No-one could find it in the Sheepscot station.
I was wanting to order some of the drawings related to WW&F and/or the FCC; the easiest way to order them from MHS is if you know the drawing numbers in advance.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Dave Crow

David Johnson replied:
Dave,
About three years ago I visited the MHS in Portland and inquired about the availability of the drawing inventory list.  They did not half any in print and available for sale, so I paid them to zerox the pages, from their only copy, relating to the two-footers for me.  I've got the copiies in the bookself at home.  What are you looking for just the main drawings or the casting & ironwork listing too and what equipment are you looking for?

Dave Crow replied:
Hello David,
Thanks for your note.  I'd be interested in the list of casting and ironwork drawings as well as any of the WW&F or FCC cars such as the boxcars, flats, proposed hopper, proposed tankcar, and, of course, caboose 320.
Are you able to scan the lists?  If not, I can supply a snail mail address, and I'll gladly re-imburse you for the copying and postage.
Thanks,
Dave Crow

James Patten replied:
I checked the cupboard in the station for the notebook and it wasn't there.  I also checked the library in the Machine shop and it wasn't there either.
The only other place I think it could be would be in Jason's possession, because of the #9 project.

Dave Crow replied:
James,
Jason wouldn't possibly have the notebook as reference for the brakes on the different cars?
Also, another thought about the brakes... I assume all of the brake gear was taken off the cars during their days at Edaville?  If so, I also assume the parts went to scrap or have been long lost?
Dave

James Patten replied:
The answer to the book's location: Jason does have it, for the #9 project.
All brakes were removed by Edaville at some point.  A boxcar load of parts were brought up to Portland during the move, but there's no quality brake parts there.  We've raided what's left at Edaville and gotten a few parts to use.

Dave Crow replied:
Okay, I'll hope to see it in the spring.  Glad to know it has been found.
Let me know if the museum plans a weekend to work on the brake systems, or do you think it might wait until Spring?  Thanks.

James Patten replied:
We need two good weekends, plus some parts that are being made now, to finish the brakes on Coach 3.

Dave Crow replied:
James,
Are there any specific dates for working on the brakes?  I realize we're waiting on some forge work to be completed (as told to me by Jason), but I was curious if there are other repair priorities ahead of the brakes?  Is the intention to have the brakes ready before Victorian Christmas?
Unfortunately for me, all of the weekends in November are taken by other commitments.
Dave

James Patten replied:
Heh.  The intention was to have brakes for Halloween.
The best answer I can give is "we'll get to it when we get to it."
To move ahead on other brakes I think we need patterns made.

Dave Crow replied:
Dang - that's next weekend... I'll be working at PA Trolley Museum.
I assume the next cars to get brakes would be Coach 8 and flat 126?  If we refurbish the J&S trucks for use under Coach 8, the brake beam design and the brake levers as mounted on the truck can be identical to Coach 3.  The brake levers under the car should be pretty similar to Coach 3 with only the length of the rods needing to change to suit the length of the car.  I assume there are no thoughts to apply vacuum pots to either 3 or 8?
More of the work will be forging/forming the brake rod hangers and the brake rod clevises, I would think.
Do we have drawings for the castings required, or will those be all new designs to adapt the cars?  I take it we don't have spare brake wheels, staffs, ratchets, and pawls?  How about brake shoes?

James Patten replied:
Car 103 has a truck which has brakes waiting to under it.  Of course this truck needs work before it can go under (I don't know the details).  Once under it will need brake wheel, etc.
We have spare wheels, ratchets, and pawls (and I assume patterns for same since they were recently cast).  Coach 3 came with two already welded on - the one we're using has since been disconnected and will be re-installed.
We have enough brakeshoes for Coach 3.
We do not, to my knowledge, have brakeshoe patterns, nor patterns for the geometrically complicated device that the shoes attach to (I can't think of a name for it) which bolts on to the brake beam.
No plans that I know of to put vacuum pots on either coach, although 3 certainly has the holders for them underneath.

Dave Crow replied:
I think the part between the beam and shoe is called the "brake head"?
Thanks for the news on the other parts.

Joe Fox replied:
James,
Do you think that coach 3 might have had vacuum brakes on it when Bridgton & Saco River got the car, or maybe had it on the converssion list?
Joe

James Patten replied:
Might have.  Someone more conversant in car history (like Gary Kohler or Chris McChesney) would be more likely to know than I.

Joe Fox replied:
I read in the book Two Feet to Tidewater, that all passenger cars, or most passenger cars had vacuum brakes, and the engines were also equiped with vacuum braking, however, I think that would have occured during the later years, such as around the early 1900's. All I can remember is that the cars had them on them.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum