Author Topic: WW&F No. 10 - Official Work Thread  (Read 135772 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 10 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2018, 09:33:46 PM »
Funds are inhand to finish the boiler work on #10, and additional money (separate from the 21 campaign) has been set aside for it's reassembly, and some additional work.

#11s boiler is 1/2 to 2/3 funded, through the 21 camaign effort, which funded #10s boiler first.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »
The opportunity to obtain and install the Moose-Trout Brook Bridge was a boon to our plan to extend our main line down the mountain.  Our BOD was wise to re-prioritize our plans to take advantage of this gift from our New Hampshire friends and the NPS.  This gift will prove, in the long run, to be a cost effective solution to our crossing Trout Brook.

The opportunity came with a huge set of challenges in planning, funding, accelerated work on the mountain, reorganizing other activities.  And we are rising to the occasion.  Though a few of our current projects, like 10, 11, 67, the round house, etc., will take a little longer to complete, they too will be achieved.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
Bernie's pattern for the smoke box shim.

This is the follow block that goes with the shim pattern that was posted earlier.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2018, 06:11:02 AM »
Thanx Brendan (and Jason and Mike) for posting and reposting these photos.  The shim pattern has to be accurate, and to achieve that I will bring it up during the Spring Work Weekend and actually fit it over the cylinders and modify it on the spot if it needs it.  I will then modify the follow block to the point where it can be used.  Working on curved patterns can be difficult.  I have been working over 1 1/2 years on clamshell door patterns for CNJ 113 (with delays for other projects) where nothing is flat.  At times, things don't work out and have to be junked and started over.  I am currently working on the core boxes and have wasted much time trying to figure them out.

Bernie

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »
Bernie
Don't junk it -- give it a coat of varnish and hang it on the wall and call it
what it is -- a work of art!

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
Fitting 10's firebox parts to the mud ring.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
Great work guys!  Is welding next for the firebox? What are the steps to get the boiler through hydrostatic test?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
Guys,

This is impressive.  I know others have done this, but just thinking about the machinery that had to be designed, tooling created, skills learned, and then to bend those thick pieces of steel without warping or wrinkling, cracking or splitting. 

My head hurts just thinking about it.  It is like when it was necessary to quarter the drive wheels on 9.  A problem was discovered, a solution was conceived, a complicated tool was designed and constructed, and then the problem was solved.

I think our Museum crew can do anything they put their many minds and talents to.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
I'm really in awe of your know- how and skill.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
Fantastic work!

BTW, whose portrait is on the backhead :o???

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Kyle Irving

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
I'll second that question!  ;)

I'm also curious about wether Jason thinks the mill scale has to come off the boiler plates before everything gets put together. I'd never thought of it, but recently saw one of the Ffestiniog shop guys mention that they remove it as, IIRC, its presence causes accelerated corrosion in places with no mill scale. As for how they remove it, forget grit blasting! Apparently they just leave all the components out in the yard for a year to get nice and rusty. Of course they have security cameras around BL and the pieces aren't exactly easy to cart off... 
I'll see if I can find the post.       

Troy Congdon

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
Thanx Brendan (and Jason and Mike) for posting and reposting these photos.  The shim pattern has to be accurate, and to achieve that I will bring it up during the Spring Work Weekend and actually fit it over the cylinders and modify it on the spot if it needs it.  I will then modify the follow block to the point where it can be used.  Working on curved patterns can be difficult.  I have been working over 1 1/2 years on clamshell door patterns for CNJ 113 (with delays for other projects) where nothing is flat.  At times, things don't work out and have to be junked and started over.  I am currently working on the core boxes and have wasted much time trying to figure them out.

Bernie

When I was in college I had an internship with Bucyrus (now bought out by Caterpillar). Bucyrus made shovels, drills, and drag lines for surface mining. While I was there, the cost of metals was going through the roof and smaller mines that weren't normally profitable were. As such, Bucyrus was in the process of making lots of spare parts to bring a lot of shovels out of mothball status and was even reintroducing models of shovels that hadn't been built since the early sixties.

One of my jobs as a mechanical engineering intern was to take an actual "blue"-print hand drawing of a shovel bucket and redesign it for modern manufacturing techniques. Your "complaint" of no flat surfaces was the bane of that project as well. In addition to no flat surfaces, there were no defined curves and only general overall dimensions. Fun times and a real sense of acomplishment when the job is done.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2018, 11:34:53 PM »
Is that Kilroy, of WWII fame, portrayed on the blackhead?

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:04 AM »
Is the mud ring solid or hollow? Also, how are the seams/joints sealed against the water and pressure? I ask because I am used to aviation work (planes are pressure vessels as well, just not much pressure). Cold riveting, gaskets and sealant.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:11:37 AM by Robert Hale »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Is that Kilroy, of WWII fame, portrayed on the blackhead?

Could be, but it seems to me that Kilroy had three fingers on each side of his face and the nose hung over the edge of a line.