Author Topic: WW&F No. 10 - Official Work Thread  (Read 46995 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 10 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »
Superb work! 
How much more is to be done at Boothbay before boiler/loco re-assembly starts at Sheepscot?
Paul Uhland

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2017, 03:21:39 AM »
Rick and Alan flanging 10's front tube sheet today.

Chuck Watford

• Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2017, 03:18:38 AM »
Any news and photos of the boiler work on #10?

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »
Not with day temperatures in the single digits and low teens (Fahrenheit).  Metal gets brittle when it's very cold, and the flanger is in an unheated area of the shop.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
I'm with Chuck -- is there a brief summary of the overall status of #10.  Is the flanger the critical step?  Is there a Plan B if it doesn't work?  What about the rest of the 21 campaign? Has the Bridge project taken temporary precedence?  Just askin', that's all...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2018, 01:17:10 AM »
Thanks for asking for the update.  We have been remiss in publicizing news on the boiler work.

In short, the bridge has left us with little time to work on 10’s boiler.  The current step is flanging the back head.  This has proven challenging as a lot of material must be compressed in an exacting manner.  The machine has plenty of power- however as we have proceeded we’ve identified a series of special jigs we’ve had to fabricate in order to force the material to take the desired shape.

The typical routine is that about once per month (or less, w Victorian Christmas in December), we get a day or so where weather, tractor availability, and other projects allows us to focus.  We flange, make some progress, note a detail which requires attention (usually a modification to our toggle follower jig), and rather than rush it and hurt the machine or workpiece, we set it aside.

The back head is near completion, though I want it to be at least 25 degrees before working on it, along with all the other stars being in line.

After the back head, it’s the throat sheet.  We also plan to begin fitting up the inner firebox later this winter.  We have maintained tight communication and oversight from BRV every step of the way.  We still intend to hit 10’s boiler hard in 2018, even with the Mountain work ahead.

I have been worried about the lack of member and public information releases- I do sincerely apologize.

Happy New Year,
Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2018, 02:54:10 AM »
I have been worried about the lack of member and public information releases- I do sincerely apologize.

Happy New Year,
Jason
Do I hear the possibility of a WW&F Newsletter article for the January/February issue now in preparation?  ;D ;D ;D
-John M

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
Hi,
Happy to get news of #10 boiler and learn that everything is A-OK. Working in such temps isn't a bed of roses neither for men nor metal.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2018, 12:21:19 AM »
Jason, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to respond to this on New Year's Eve.  Clearly it's important to keep our many message streams going, and it's easy to lose track of them.  My wish is that we will have two steam locos working on 2018 Victorian Christmas.  If that's a stretch, it's at least hope/goal.

Happy New Year WW&F!

Bob

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2018, 03:31:28 AM »
Good news Jason.
My memory fell off. Who is BRV?
Paul Uhland

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 04:06:52 AM »
Boothbay Railroad Village
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:09:49 AM by Bill Baskerville »
Wascally Wabbit

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
BRV is 16 miles from WW&F.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »
 BRV has the certified boiler welding inspector.
Wascally Wabbit

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2018, 05:55:12 PM »
Thanks, guys.
Hope tree clearing goes well.
Paul Uhland

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
I should clear up some misunderstandings.

Boothbay Railway Village (BRV) is an ASME accredited power boiler construction shop.  They are not a certified boiler welding inspection service.

BRV is this actual builder of the boilers for our locomotives 10 and 11.  Through a cooperative agreement between Boothbay Railway and the WW&F Railway, Boothbay Railway is allowing us to provide nearly all of the labor for this work, under their supervision, which comes through close communication between their Shop Superintendent and myself, as well as regular (as the work warrants) visits by him.  Some work must be done directly by BRV in their shop.  Our work site is an “off site job location” for BRV.  We plan to put up signage to that effect to clarify that point.

We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to BRV for allowing this arrangement.  The commercial value of these two riveted boilers from an ASME shop would likely exceed $250,000.  We hope to reciprocate their generosity by making some of our specialized equipment available to them when the need arises.

Thank you,
Jason