Author Topic: Original ICC Valuation sheets  (Read 2211 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Original ICC Valuation sheets
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:49:03 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Original ICC Valuation sheets has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
More treasure from Stewart Rhine. These are scans of ICC Valuation sheets for the WW&F. Here are the first 3 of 12 pages. Enjoy!

(please let me know if this size works for everyone. I tried to make them big enough so everyone could clearly read every detail...)

Joe Fox replied:
That is cool. Another thing I like looking at, are old freight records, of freight that was passed through the railroad, and what car it was in or on.

Joe

James Patten replied:
Interesting, it mentions the trestle at Carleton/Trout Brook (Mason's Wreck trestle), and the one just north of the 218 crossing in Wiscasset, but it doesn't say anything about Humason trestle.

Mike Fox replied:
Guess they missed that one James unless it falls under the Pile and Frame Trestles.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
James,  There are few things missing/incorrect in this survey.  The report was done in the 1917-18 era when the U. S. Gov't took control of American railroads for the War effort.  Most railroads had a property  inventory/survey done by ICC officials prior to the Gov't taking control.  The WW&F did not come under control of the USRA because it did not ship "critical freight".  Many large carriers like the Maine Central were under the USRA for WW I.  That's when the USRA 2-8-2 design was developed.  Operational control went back to railroad company management when the war was over.

Joe Fox replied:
That is very interesting Stewart. I never knew what the USRA things stood for. I olny know that some locomotives have the USRA letters in front of them. For example, in the Walthers catalog, it says something like USRA 0-6-0. What does the USRA stand for in that case?

Joe

James Patten replied:
USRA = United States Railroad Administration

Joe Fox replied:
Oh. Thanks James.

Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum