Author Topic: April 2009 work planning  (Read 4069 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
April 2009 work planning
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »
I realize we don't have a volunteer coordinator, but I'm going to try to start figuring out what at least some of us will be doing on a given Saturday.  Use this thread for all work in April 09, but try not to post more than a week ahead.

This coming weekend, 4/4, I am thinking the following things will be worked on:
#10 Prep Jason will be doing prep work on #10 to get it ready for April 11.
Ballot stuffing Starting at 10 I am hoping to get as many directors (and others interested) together in the Percival house to stuff envelopes with ballots, paperwork, etc for mailing for the election in May.
Car shop upstairs I will be finishing re-arranging Halloween stuff in the main part of the old part of the upstairs, and cleaning up around the wall.  Then Bill and Ken will be putting up shelving.
I think the forecast calls for some rain in the AM but clearing.  I am sure there is someone planning some outdoor work but I don't know what.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: April 2009 work planning
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:46 PM »
My List for April:

4/4:  1.  No 10 final prep
4/4:  2.  Tamper main assembly. 
4/11:  Easter Express train ops- 12-3.  If things go well prior, we may run a photo freight in the morning.
4/18: 1.  Tamper final assembly  (finish and test, should be).
4/18: 2.  Trainmaster annual set up:  crew schedule, rulebook, TT, phone, fire extinguisher placement check, similar
4/24: 1.  Tamper final assembly, emergency day...
4/24-26, assist with work weekend as required- dispatch, mechanical, train ops, etc.  Otherwise-- set up to machine No 9 frame casting, and shop cleaning and organizing.

Sounds easy...

see ya
Jason

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
For April 4 - the plow needs to be removed from the diesel.  I'm hoping somebody will take charge of that right off.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday April 11:

Easter Express: We'll be running steam trains 12-3, with possible photo freight in AM.
Car shop: Upstairs people will be starting on the shelving on the west wall of the old part of the building.  Zack may be involved in other stuff but I don't know what.
Machining: I'm sure there will be some kind of machine work going on for #9/railcar/tamper.
Jayne's Way Xing: I need to get out there with shovel(s) and clean out the gravel from the south (high) end of the culvert, and straighten/widen/deepen the ditch on the north side of the culvert.  Help appreciated.  Ultimately my plan is to remove the gravel-impregnated ballast from either side of the crossing and replace it with clean ballast (and line the track while I'm at it), but this probably won't happen until May.
Plow: the plow still needs to be removed from the diesel.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:59:21 PM »
Also work will continue on the Tamper.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »
Synopsis of April 11:

* Plow's gone
* Thanks to Leon, who welded, and Dana, who wielded, and my "Pattened" culvert cleaner-outer, Jayne's Way culvert is mostly clear of gravel.
* Lots of welding going on with respect to "Big Joe" Tamper.
* We had about 100 people for Easter Express.
* There was a steam freight after the Express.
* The beams for the crane extension arrived.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday April 18:

Tamper: Crunch time for the tamper.  See Jason if you want to get involved.  There may be some tamping to test it out if there's time.
Consolidation: Need to consolidate shovels, bars, jacks etc from scattered locations to the section house. 
Car shop: Zack will be doing whatever he needs to do to get the car shop (especially east wall) ready for window and siding replacement.  Upstairs crew should continue shelving.
Machining: Machiners needed for railcar.  See Jason.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Anticipated work list for this weekend, April 24-26.

Track in service: Track at the north end will be put into service, if all goes according to plan.  We'll get to see the tamper at work.  Dana is leader.
Car shop: Forces will be removing the T111 siding and old windows from the east wall, and installing new windows and board & batten siding.  Likely Stewart will lead.
ROW cleanup: Fred would like to lead a group with chainsaw(s) up the line starting at Sheepscot and clear off any fallen trees that there may be.
Coach 8: I haven't heard specifically, but for the past 2 years a third of the coach's windows have been replaced.  I never did well in math, but by my calculations there's only one third left.  Vic Hamburger has lead this in the past.
Prebles: We'll be constructing a replica of Preble's flag stop for the Heritage Village.  See Steve Zuppa.
Crane Extension: If there's time, I expect Zack will want to put up the crane extension.
Food: Let's not forget the folks in the kitchen, slaving away to keep us all going.  See someone in the kitchen if you want to help.
Sheepscot Mills Crossing: The crossing planks need to be taken up and new ones put down.  Not sure who's in charge of this.
Shop: shop cleaning and organizing.  See Jason.
Shop upstairs: I expect the shelving crew will continue.
Albion: On Saturday Dave B. will be leading a crew to Albion to relay the track there.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:35:58 PM by James Patten »

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Also on the list for Saturday, a small crew will travel to Albion for the first Second Albion Day to lay track. Mike Fox graded and leveled last weekend. Ties, track and joint bars are ready to go. We have room for a few more volunteers. See me on Friday if you're interested.
Dave