Author Topic: WW&F #9 to attend Train Festival 2009 in Owosso, Michigan.  (Read 3959 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Historical Topo Maps
WW&F #9 to attend Train Festival 2009 in Owosso, Michigan.
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Today, WW&F CMO Jason Lamontagne announced that completion of WW&F #9 from years of restoration work is eminent and the group has ambitious plans for Train Festival 2009.

"#9 will travel from Maine to Michigan under her own power," he announced.

In an amazing turn of events, Norfolk Southern's new "Pan Am Southern" division - and its lines to Michigan will be 'dual gauged' from Portland, Maine to Detroit. However, this is not being done to accommodate the move - but rather for a new freight service venture.

"Red's Lobster Rolls, inc. of Detroit needs a new, reliable, and environmentally responsible method of transporting fresh seafood from Portland Maine to their processing facility in Detroit. They choose rail because we meet all those requirements," said David Fink, president of Pan Am Southern.

However the plan hit a minor snag. It seems that the Portland City Council would not allow Pan Am to reconnect its 'wide gauge' trackage to the Portland waterfront. However, they found that the smaller Narrow Gauge track (used by Portland's 'Maine Narrow Gauge and Museum') was acceptable.

"Because trucking the few miles to Rigby Yard was not environmentally friendly, we are constructing dual gauge track all the way to Michigan to provide this unique service," Fink added.

With the hundreds of jobs it will create by dual-gauging the line, and the environmental benefits of choosing this mode of transportation, the entire project will be funded by the Federal Stimulus Package. Maine's two Republican Senators, who broke with party lines and voted in favor of the package deny that this is an earmark for special pork-barrel projects.

For the journey, #9 will have the round Pan Am logo painted over the front of the Smokebox. Lamontagne was not sure if the logo would be removed following the Train Festival, since it will now be an important part of #9's history.

"We look forward to seeing #9 steam through the Hoosac Tunnel," Lamontagne noted. WW&F forum participant Matthew Gustafson agreed to pilot the engine through the 4.74 mile bore. "I won't get that dirty" the enthusiastic volunteer explained. Lamontagne will be waiting on the other side of the mountain to relieve Gustafson, and give him a towel.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:52:04 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F #9 to attend Train Festival 2009 in Owosso, Michigan.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »
Ayuh Ed.  Good one.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
I realized it was an April Fool's joke when Ed wrote that Jason said he'd leave the PanAm logo on... LOL
KD

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
Hey wait a minute!!!!  Sling a set of wings over the tender, floats under the drivers, and keep the Pan Am logo on the side and we can have our own version of "Clipper Service"......... :D

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:49:23 PM »
hilarious, Ed...thanks!

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
OMG,.... :o
...you guys! ::)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Matt3985
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:30:23 PM »
"We look forward to seeing #9 steam through the Hoosac Tunnel," Lamontagne noted. WW&F forum participant Matthew Gustafson agreed to pilot the engine through the 4.74 mile bore. "I won't get that dirty" the enthusiastic volunteer explained. Lamontagne will be waiting on the other side of the mountain to relieve Gustafson, and give him a towel.

Who Me?  :o ::) :D
Proud Supporter of the new Norfolk Southern 21st Century Steam Program. Go vist my youtube account here at www.youtube.com/Matt3985 .

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Matt3985
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
DOH you got me on that one.  :D
Proud Supporter of the new Norfolk Southern 21st Century Steam Program. Go vist my youtube account here at www.youtube.com/Matt3985 .