Author Topic: Museum Gift Shop  (Read 105781 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Museum Gift Shop
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 06:19:40 AM »
This just in ...

Radio Free Sheepscot reports that there is a new video for sale in the gift shop.  The production is called "Maine Central, 1974 - 1984" and features 4 chapters shot in many parts of New England.  There is little narration and each scene is described in a guide that comes with the DVD.  The transfer to DVD is adequate but some scenes are a bit muddy.   Most of the video is clear and the audio is good.  The footage was shot in all types of weather.  My favorite scene shows a MEC local rounding the long fill and pulling into the station area at Farmington.  The SR&RL was long gone and the branch was in it's last year of operation.  There are some interesting sequences on the Mountain Division including Crawford Notch.  One set shows the train that delivered Maine Central 2-8-0 501 to North Conway in 1983.  The consolidation was posed for photos at Crawford's and filmed as the train moved through the Gateway and Willey Brook Trestle.   I can't get excited about the 1970s and '80s (doesn't seem that long ago) but I enjoyed the production and learned more about how the MEC operated in it's last few years before Guilford took over.  The DVD sells for $24.95

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »
This just in ...

Radio Free Sheepscot reports that the gift shop has a few new items for sale.  One is a Bachmann HO scale 2-8-0 in Western Maryland paint.  The locomotive is nearly new and sells for $85.  Another item is a set of Lionel freight cars, including a box car, gondola, coal hopper and caboose.  The cars are $10 each or $38 for all 4 cars.  Another item is a brakeman's lantern from the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad.  It is a short globe lantern made by Adams and Westlake, marked B.A.R. on the top.  The lantern was made in 1923.  It's in good condition has a clear globe and the longer, insulated bale that is typical of Northern New England railroads.  The lantern lists for $90. 

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 05:24:55 AM »
This just in ...

Radio Free Sheepscot reports that the gift shop has two new pocket T shirts.  The T's come in gray and medium blue and feature the classic WW&F RAILWAY logo over the pocket.  They are available in short and long sleeve and come in 4 sizes.  The 90% cotton shirts sell for $16 for short sleeve and $18 for the long sleeve.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Museum Gift Shop - new prints for sale
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:30 AM »
This just in ...

The museum gift shop now has special B&SR RR prints for sale.  The beautiful prints were created as a fund raising tool for the Return of the Rails project in Bridgton.  The sales are the result of an agreement between the RTR group and the WW&F museum and will benefit both organizations.  The prints, which depict B&SR operations in Spring, Summer and Fall sell for $50 plus tax. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »
These are excellent prints. I have all three, with the next one (winter) due out sometime in the future.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 05:35:06 AM »
My favorite is the Fall print which shows a train along Hancock Pond.  Our coach 3 is in the consist, numbered 18 while on the B&SR.

Gift Shop update - The Bangor & Aroostook lantern mentioned in the June 16th post has been sold but there will be other historic lanterns for sale during the Annual Picnic.  Among the items are a D&H bell bottom lantern with a red cast D&H globe,  a B&M tall globe lantern with a clear cast globe and a RUTLAND RR tall globe lantern made by Adams & Westlake.  Stop in for details.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 07:08:30 AM »
The 2011 WW&F calendars are in.  The publication has 13 full page color photos featuring museum motive power, rolling stock and volunteers.  The photographs showcase operations at various times of the year.  Inside the last page are extra photos in 3X5 format.  All images are the work of Stephen Hussar, a professional cameraman whos beautiful photographs are well known to members and friends of the WW&F.  The calendar sells for $15 and the funds help support restoration efforts at the museum.     

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
Picked up a calendar today. Excellent as always.
Linda has also recieved more new shirts. A tan Golf shirt embroidered WW&F and a variation of the blue pocket T. This one with yellow WW&F. Stock up now while the getting is good.
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »

This just in ...

The gift shop has a couple of new two-foot books, both by Peter Barney.  The books are from the contining Pictorial Journey Series.  The first one is a 98 page volume called KENNEBEC CENTRAL and MONSON RAILROADS.  Peter devotes the frist 36 pages to the KC and the rest to the Monson.  There are many photos, some are post card views I have not seen.  Fifteen pages of ICC reports (from 1916), maps and plans complete the work. 

The other book is titled:  WISCASSET, WATERVILLE & FARMINGTON - WISCASSET: SEAPORT of the TWO FOOTERS.  It is a 98 page book devoted to the WW&F and the village of Wiscasset.  There are a lot of town views I have not seen before, including a set of detailed photos of the Turner Center Creamery.  There are a number of post 1933 photos of the upper yard.  I don't like seeing these photos as much as the in service shots but there are some interesting things and new details in the images. 

The books sell for $24.95 plus tax.

Stewart

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Stewart. I suspect there will be quite a few of those books sold next month at the work weekend.
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
Stewart, is the KC & Monson book a reprint? I have a book here already in my collection with the same name.
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Mike,

The KC/Monson book has a publication date of August, 2009.  I don't know if the store has had it before.  The WW&F book was published in October of 2010.

Stewart

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
The store has had neither before.  Linda learned about them late last year and we ordered them - but it took a while to get them.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
Got it now. I was confused with Peters earlier book, Kennebec Central and Monson Railroads. It is a 68 page soft cover book printed in 1986. I'll have to add these two new ones to my collection.
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
To paraphrase Walter Winchell -

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Railfan from coast to coast and all the ships at sea,  let's go to press ... FLASH!

The gift shop now has a few soft bound copies of Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley Volume 3 by Gary Kohler and Chris McChesney.

The books arrived Saturday morning.  Volume 3 covers the W&Q / WW&F from Palermo to Albion and the Winslow Branch.  The third book in the 6 part series was published 8 years ago and has been unavailable for the last couple of years.  There are less than 6 on hand.  The price is $33.95 plus tax.

Stewart