Author Topic: Car shop Interior (Lots of Pictures)  (Read 25200 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Car shop Interior (Lots of Pictures)
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »
In the interest of sharing as much as possible, I moved around inside the shop taking pictures of the new Addition, before we fill it, which by the last photo you can see it has started already. Pictures should be self explanatory, but I'll caption them anyhow. Lets start upstairs. For size reference, it is about a 7 foot ceiling.

Now for the main floor. Pretty self explanatory. But I'll try my best to confuse every one.
Standing in the south corner of Bay One

Standing in the south corner of Bay Three

Standing in the North corner of the Addition of Bay Three

Standing in the North corner of the addition of Bay One

OK. We have the four corners covered. How about some ground shots.
Bay One, head high.

Bay Three, head high

And finally, the temporary walls were removed this afternoon and things started spilling in to the open space. Notice #9s cab.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Car shop Interior (Lots of Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:51 PM »
Mike,
Once again, great interior shots.  For those of us from away these pictures help us to enjoy the results of the labor of the many who worked so hard to button up the new addition.
Duncan

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »
I would like to second Duncan's comments!
Not to belittle those who built the original bay one, it sure appears that construction standards
have advanced over the years. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »
Zack figured it out, sketching things on paper, trying to get the most out of the space we could (no posts or interior walls) while trying to keep it similar to the way the original was built.
Mike

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »
Wonderful photos and a great job.
Interior wiring, lights and the second floor windows are yet to come, right?
Are the rails to be connected after the big lathe is moved to bay #3?

Ira's axiom to Parkinson's Law.
"The bigger the available space, the more stuff will be put in it...."

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
OK. Here are some more inside shots. The big lathe got moved today. Brute strength and ignorance took care of it. Oh, and Fred helped a little too. ;D

Here is Jason setting things up to use it already.

And we scooted the cab for #9 into the extension some more to open up the wall around Bay 2. The final results

And finally, we talked about it then I walked out to do something else and they did it, They rolled 309 into the new section.

Mike

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
Nice, nice, nice! ;D  ;D  Now with the big lathe out of the way there is room to put another car in bay one out of the weather. :)
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:51:18 AM »
Wow, the progress in the shop addition looks wonderful especially 309's move. I take it the new rails got connected to the old section's track.  I know they were lined up and ready for joint bars.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
Thanks for the update pics Mike.  I love it when a plan falls into place like this. 
Duncan

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
Looks like we need some 'telltales' for the low overhead clearance in there...;)
Gawdon

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »
Kudos to all you folks who have been working on the shop addition through the winter. I'd take my hat off to you but my head would get cold! It's looking great. Mike, Steve and others who have posted photos -- thanks so much.

Here's a thought. If the original portion of Bay 1 was insulated and heated (even by a torpedo heater), it would be a good place to work on a car during the winter, and it would be much less expensive to heat than the entire new space. A piece of canvas battened over the interior doorway into the new space could be removed during better weather, or a set of removable wooden doors could be made. Just a thought.... 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »
I had a similar thought yesterday myself. And I think it may have been heated like that in the past. Some sheetrock covers the inside wall.
  But really, working indoors in the cold is not bad. You are out of the wind and the snow. It's just plain cold. I was looking at the track on Bay's 2 & 3 yesterday and thought about lifting those up. But there is no hurry. 2 feet of snow keeps the doors shut outside.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 07:21:42 AM »
Back in winter of 2000 or 2001 we needed to retube #10.  This was done in Bay 1.  Even with tarps overhead and a torpedo heater going it never got anywhere near warm.  Jason said it was pretty miserable working in the cold like that.  The sheetrock predates it and I think even predates my arrival at the Museum.

Looks like the upstairs room may be turned into a woodworking shop, at least for pieces that can fit up the stairs. 

309 was moved back to near its old location, otherwise nobody could get to the side door.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »
Bay 1 would need insulation and either a concrete or wooden floor as well as weather stripping around the doors to keep the heat in. I have insulated the walls and ceiling of metal-sheathed pole barns and heated them up to 60 degrees with a hot-air gas furnace. Of course, that was in Pennsylvania, where it's not quite as cold as Maine, but it can be done in a cost-effective manner.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »
I think it weould be nice to have a concrete floot in the rest of the shop regardless of whether or not it will help in heating.  that would provide quite a nice working surface and stop us from triping on the rails.
A spike saved is a spike earned.