Author Topic: Navy Service  (Read 15000 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
"... Machinist [Mate] in the Navy," eh?
Where were you stationed? (Not much ocean in AZ ;) )

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »
Cosmo I was not a machinest mate I was a machinery repairman [ mr ] not [ mm ] as for not much ocean in Az you are right. I was stationed on a ship out of San Diego. The ship was the USS Vancouver LPD 2. Both of us are now out of the navy me since 1980 her I'm not sure but I heard she was mothballed up in Brimerton Wa. Talk to you later shipmate.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
Cosmo I was not a machinest mate I was a machinery repairman [ mr ] not [ mm ] as for not much ocean in Az you are right. I was stationed on a ship out of San Diego. The ship was the USS Vancouver LPD 2. Both of us are now out of the navy me since 1980 her I'm not sure but I heard she was mothballed up in Brimerton Wa. Talk to you later shipmate.

Cool!
"MR," eh?
Well that's a new one on me  ;)
LPD-2 I've heard of.
I'm on the USS Philadelphia (SSN 690) out of Groton.
FW&FS!
Hoo-Yah-Navy!

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »
I'm on the USS Philadelphia (SSN 690) out of Groton.

Hey Pete, a quick Google search brought up this picture of your boat. Very cool. The caption said this photo was taken Feb, 2008.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:36:58 AM »
Yep, that's us! Almost exactly a year ago.
I got to the boat in August of last year, otherwise, I'd say either the guy shoveling or the guy on the brow might have been me  ;)

PS: the banner on the brow reads: USS PHILADELPHIA "Service Above Self / FINNISH STRONG!"
We are scheduled to DECOM sometime next year, HAPPY FUN!

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »
Wouldn't the USS Philadelphia look good in Wiscassett Harbor replacing Frank Winter's boats when it retires?

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
Heeheeeheeheeeheeeheee...!!! :D

You could use the reactor to power the entire county! ;)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
You could use the reactor to power the entire county!

You could, but Wiscasset's nuclear plant was decommissioned and dismantled more than 10 years ago now, much to the relief of many.  Since that time any kind of power generation scheme that even hints that it isn't "green" gets run out of town.  A retired nuclear sub would go the way of the coal gasification power plant that was proposed.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »
Well, that's even assuming that NAVAL REACTORS would allow the sub up there in the first place. MOST nuclear subs have thier reactor vessels removed when they retire. (The only known exceptions being the Thresher and the Scorpion.)

But we came here to discuss the WEATHER, which, BTW, is pretty darn cold here in CT. I can't imagine it being much warmer up they-ah!

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:15:48 AM »
Cosmo
 Subs don't have a billit for [MR's] thats why you don't know that rating. However if you ever get to a tender you'll find lots and lots of [MR's] we run the machine shops afloat. Also most surface ships have at least 1 [MR] and the bigger the ship the more of [MR's] they have.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Navy Service
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »
Cosmo
 You said your boat is to be decom soon. How old is she? I know the Tucson was commishined about the time I got out in 1980.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Navy Service
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »
The "Silly Philly" is just over 30 years old. (Which means she was commisioned about when I was 10!)
And yes, I know there's no "MR's" on subs. Sometimes though, I think we could sure USE one (or two!)

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
Cosmo
 In post 8 above you mention the Scorpion & Thresher being the only 2 boats not to have their reactor vessels removed on being decommissioned these 2 were not decomed I beleive thay are listed as sunk/destroied. The Thresher on a training shake down crouse when some machinical problems caused the fit to hit the shan and they lost control on a diving manouver. The Scorpion acording to a book I read was sunk by the Russkies. The book in case your interested is titled SCORPION DOWN a good read. Com seas and following wind to you shipmate.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
I was waxing sarchasmic.
I'm fully aware of the fates of those two boats.
Technically, they are still "Comissioned" and concidered "Still On Patrol."

The point is that decomed nuke boats have thier reactors removed. This includes Historic Ship Nautilus at the museum here in Groton.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »
Cosmo you said your on the Philadelphia SSN690. I thought the city named boats were boomers but SSN would indacate that she is a fast attack?