Author Topic: 2 24" inch trucks on RailSwap  (Read 3177 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
2 24" inch trucks on RailSwap
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
2 24" inch trucks on RailSwap has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

mfrancoeur wrote:
If anyone is interested, I found an add on RailSwap for two 2 ft qauge trucks:

24" gauge 2 trucks with 20" wheels and friction bearings $1,500.00 for both

No other specifications or details were given.  Use the following URL to see the full add

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2rnqne

- Mike

p.s. I have no affiliation with the add.

Ira Schreiber replied:
Thanks, Mike, I, too, found this ad and forwarded it to our mechanical people. They inspected the trucks and determined they were not suitable for our needs as they were too badly worn.
Ira

jockellis replied:
When you have to build new ones for a car, do you use friction bearings or roller?
Jock Ellis

Mike Fox replied:
No roller bearing trucks here. Anything recreated is done in the 1920's era. It does take time to check the journals but in keeping with the time period, it is worth it.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
It is interesting that the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn 3' gauge had roller bearing trucks built new in the 1920's.
At least one of those cars survived on the east Broad Top RR and is still there.

jockellis replied:
Ira, that says a lot about the NG crowd. The 3-foot Tweetsie in Tennessee was one of the first RRs to offer intermodal service for trailers. They may have been little, but they were big minded.
Jock Ellis
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum