Author Topic: Parking area *PIC*  (Read 2982 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Parking area *PIC*
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Parking area *PIC* has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
All, photo from Sat.1-19-08 of the cutting & burning crew working on land clearing for the bathrooms and parking area... that's the north end of Percival House on the left!

Bill Reidy replied:
Nice picture Stephen!

I just posted some photos from Saturday on NERail.  It was great to see a large crew there, working on #9 and tree cutting.

- Bill

Mike Fox replied:
Thanks for the photos on NERail Bill. For some reason, I am unable to see Stephens pic.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
Now that trees have been cut, I am curious.....
What happens to the logs? I know the brush is burned.
How are the stumps handled? I assume then, final grading will take place. What is the time table for this work?
Ira

gordon cook replied:
The folks that are regulars on the tree cutting crews can tell you more, but I think that when it's time the machines come and take out the stumps and do the final grading.
(I prefer not to cross 'craft' lines, my shop steward will not like it. (;<0))
In the good old days of horses and men, it must have been 'fun' to deal with all the stumps of trees in the virgin forests.  I wonder if they had any technique besides shovels, oxen, and pickaxes?
Does anyone know if the WW&F ROW would have mostly gone through cleared fields in 1894?

Ira Schreiber replied:
Gawdon.

From the early photos, there were very few trees. It was mostly open land where stones and rocks were the big challanges.

Joe Fox replied:
Some logs are going to be kept for the steam engine to use as firewood, some will be taken home for others to use as firewood, and the bigger tree logs, well that is for another person to answer. It would be nice to see the bigger logs and trees get saved for the future saw mill to cut up, and possibly make some lumber out of them.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
Yes. There are a few pines in there that might need to come down at some point. Would be nice to load them up and take them to Sheepscot Mills.
As for the cutting and burning, all that is being done now is opening up the land a little more. We are cutting all the softwood we can. Nothing too big yet. Mainly the stuff we can burn up.
Mike

James Patten replied:
No truly spectacular-sized trees have been cut yet, only the small stuff.  Although there's a bunch of poplars and few semi/dead pines that will need to come down fairly soon.

I think once we're ready to build the lot, the remaining large trees will come down, save for maybe a few hardwoods which might line up correctly to the lanes.

Fred L. Kuhns replied:
James,  When will the BOD set the time to grade the parking lot?  Will they include the necessary work for the heavy machinery to clear the necessary land for the restrooms, car storage building , and the round house at the same time.       Thanks,  Fred L. Kuhns

James Patten replied:
James,  When will the BOD set the time to grade the parking lot?  Will they include the necessary work for the heavy machinery to clear the necessary land for the restrooms, car storage building , and the round house at the same time.

I believe we'll have someone come in and give us a quote on what it would take to build the road/RR grade to the leach field this spring.  Certainly quotes on the rest of the grading work may be done at the same time.  As to when the grading will take place depends on money and when we can get it.  If we can get a grant for it in the summer, we won't have to request money (or as much money) for it during the fund raiser in the fall.

Parking and leach field/bathrooms are high on the priority list.

Mike Fox replied:
With the planning that has been done, the projects could actually be done in phases. That way the budget would not be taking a big hit. First row of the parking area and the rest rooms could be the first.  Then whatever is decided next. Perhaps roundhouse and turntable pit.
If an area is graded too soon, mother nature starts to reclaim it and the grass grows and then it will need to be graded again. Especially if the design is tweaked a little. I think phases would work best in our situation.
Mike

Fred L. Kuhns replied:
James and Mike,  Thanks for the feedback, will start to save money for the fall fund raiser.   Fred L. Kuhns
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum