Author Topic: Any Snow???  (Read 1876 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Any Snow???
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:17:32 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Any Snow??? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
I'll say yes. Here are a couple of pics of that. That is a true yardstick in my hand.

How about my truck as a measuring stick.

And just for the heck of it, here is a shot of the eclipse a couple of weeks ago.

James Patten replied:
Sounds like you're about to get some more.

John McNamara replied:
Last night, one of the weathermen on a Boston channel said, "It looks like Western Maine is going to get clobbered with a foot." I didn't know that "clobbered" was an official weather term.

gordon cook replied:
Last night, one of the weathermen on a Boston channel said, "It looks like Western Maine is going to get clobbered with a foot." I didn't know that "clobbered" was an official weather term.
It's right up there with "Armageddon", "Disaster", and "Run for your lives!"...
details right after a word from our sponsors...

Stephen Hussar replied:
Great pictures, Mike -- especially the eclipse, very cool... thanks for posting. So how much new snow did y'all get??

Ira Schreiber replied:
Here in Denver, CO, it was 78* today with 4"-6" of snow overnight, tonight.
Only in Colorado.

James Patten replied:
Barely got enough snow to cover my boot toe.  Hardly worth the mention this winter, although in past winters it would have been a big deal.
For some reason though, it kept most everyone away from the Museum today.  Except me of course.

Joe Fox replied:
Well, here in Waterford, we got over 8". I am not sure the exact measurment, but the snow banks are getting very tall. The pics my dad posted, keep in mind that he uses a snow blower to clean out our driveway. And yes, the snow goes away from the driveway, however, his chute won't throw it much higher than what the snow banks are now. What a horrible winter we have had here in Waterford. We are now up to 124" I believe dad said for our total so far this year, and we still have another month + to go.
Joe

Bill Sample replied:
Wow, Mike and Joe - glad we didn't postpone B&SR field trip #2 into real winter!  Guess you'll have your backyard snow piles into May.
I imagine the B&SR would be having a very interesting winter if it were still running, being roughly in your area.

Joe Fox replied:
Yes, I am sure it would. This might be around the time when they would probably be deciding to use rotary snow plows. LOL
And to think, I wanted all of this snow, but now that we have gone way over the 50" mark, I wish it would all go away.
Joe

Josh Botting replied:
The Maine Eastern Plow/ Flanger went by today.  Not like we have much snow here at the coast, but there was a bunch of snow stuck to the plow.  Being pushed by and old loco which I haven't seen before.

Mike Fox replied:
Buildings around here are starting to drop like flies. Several garages and other post & beam style buildings and even metal Framed buildings. I went by a garage Sunday and had to stop and back up to take a second look. The building was canted in such a way, you could see the unpainted portions of the wood. The door frame was out of square and one of the wide boards on the board and batten face had a crack in it about a half inch wide at the top of it, extending down the board 6 to 8 feet. Within an hour, it was on the ground. 4 feet of snow still on the roof.
And in another instance, one of the guys here in town went up to shovel his garage. He got on the roof just in time to ride it to the ground. Must have been some ride.
So for those who say we haven't had any snow, come on up. I think I have a shovel I or Joe (aka 2 piece) haven't broke yet I'll let you use.
Mike

James Patten replied:
And to think, I wanted all of this snow
OK so now we know who to blame....
Give him a whupping for us, Mike 

Mike Fox replied:
How do you think that shovel got broken?

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Mike;
I assume you'll make Joe pay for breaking your favorite shovel!
The rain has washed away most of our snow. Now we have to dael with the flooding.
Dave

Joe Fox replied:
Dave,
Bottle up some of that heat and send it our way please. This is yet anohter weekend I can't make it to the museum due to snow. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I sure am seeing a lot of smoke, and I can hear it comin closer and closer. It's only a matter of time now, before Spring finally gets here. I know everybody at my school is tired of snow days. We are only allowed 5, and yesterday was day # 13.
Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum