Author Topic: Two Foot in Lincoln, N.H.  (Read 3140 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Two Foot in Lincoln, N.H.
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Two Foot in Lincoln, N.H. has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
I found these 2 photos on NERAIL. Check them out.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2007122707560717650.jpg
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2007122708013417733.jpg
Mike

James Patten replied:
This must be the engine Boothbay Railway was working on overtime to get out.
I assume that Tom Evans is engineer there again this year.

gordon cook replied:
It's Alive!!!!!!!!
(Cue Jason and Brian comments)
(Subject reference: Very loose connection to Frankenstein Trestle across the mountains and Classic Mel Brooks Movie)

Bruce Wilson replied:
Mike,
Thanks for providing the links to the Nerail photo postings of the two footer at Loon Mountain.
As you probably know, this engine (and another at Boothbay Railway Village) were once the power at the Steam Village, Gilford, New Hampshire.
I'm wondering if any reader can provide the history of these locomotives and their statistics?

gordon cook replied:
I checked out the Loon Mountain 'train' last weekend.
The engine looked pretty good and sounds nice and square.
But it truly doesn't go any farther than from Sheepscot station to Jane's Way, and even that may be stretching it. I suspect the new tires will last a while.
It must be weird to always have the end of track in sight.
Somebody up there must really, really like steam engines!

Bruce Wilson replied:
I guess that we all do fall into that category of loving steam trains Gordon. Kind of reminds me of when Jason and I took turns running the Brookville and flatcar 118 within bay one of the enginehouse at Sheepscot during the 1994 Annual Picnic. There was little track on the main line and bay one wasn't yet connected to the outside world. We had all of 45' of track to operate on. On my first "trip" with the Brookville, I looked back at the passengers sitting on hay bales, folding chairs and milk crates and saw nothing but smiling faces. Jason stood flagging the end of track for me so I wouldn't run over the trig. We did our 45' and then came back up to the front of bay one again. My parents were on that "excursion" and I got such a kick out of the fact that they would climb up and sit for a trip from one end of bay one, to just outside the doors and back again.

Joe Fox replied:
Remember when Monson #3 was taken to Monson? That didn't run on that long of a track. Just long enough to hit a top speed of about 2 mph, stop and go back again. LOL. There's just something about a steam engine that people love. Unless they live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, where a few people asked a railfan in a huge group what they were all looking at, or waiting for. (Keep in mind they are at a railroad crossing.) They were hoping it was a moose, but when the railfan told them they were waiting for the steam engine to go by, they said with dissapointment, oh, and got back in their car and drove off, as if they could always see a steam engine go roaring up through the notch.
Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum