Author Topic: B&SR 7  (Read 169723 times)

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
B&SR 7
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:31:56 AM »
An update on #7: We continue to work on tube end removal and smokebox disconnection. Our plan is to send just the boiler to Boothbay. This will allow them to work on the boiler in their shop and solve the transportation issue that we had with trying to move the whole locomotive. Our goal is to get the boiler up there before the end of 2008.

BTW...MRR 3 is now at Boothbay.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR 7
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
It's a possibility that the boiler may be lifted out this Saturday (November 1). A few things have to come together (or come apart) for this to happen successfully. Currently we are coordinating getting the boom truck and then making sure that BRV can handle the arrival on their end. Not all tube ends have been cut out but we can finish this at BRV.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 06:28:16 AM »
Not quite there with boiler. More hard work last Saturday as we burned more bolts off to remove firebox and smokebox braces. We have cut away most of the smokebox from the saddle. Only thing left now is a few more saddle bolts and detaching the air compressor.

Breaking news...the boiler will be right next door to WW&F as it is going to Alna instead of BRV to be worked on by Brian and Jason. Some of will be up there on occasion to finish removing tube ends.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »
Is There Any Photos Of #7s Current state? :( :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
Photos have been taken but not posted yet. Not sure you want to see it with out a cab roof and a stripped boiler. All part of the repair process.

Greg-Pockets-Boden

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Many of us would, most assuredly, like to see pictures of her in her current state of undress. It,s a rare opportunity for people doing research.

Thanks,
Greg B.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »
Same For #8 Current State! Are there any photos Of Her state too! =D ;D :D :D

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
#8 sits fully assembled in the east end our engine house. Yes, I have been to IRM and our excuse for an engine house does not hold a candle to the building IRM has that houses their active steamers. #8 is in a poorly lit quonset hut and very rarely sees the light of day.

Unfortunately we can not upgrade our facilities as we don't own the land and buildings we sit on. We are on a yearly lease. This rules out any capital improvement unlike WW&F who is making great progress on their car barn and has plans to put in a turntable and roundhouse.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
We are hoping to send the boiler to Alna this Saturday pending boom truck availability. This means that #7's boiler is going to be right next to the WW&F mainline. We are thinking of sending the chassis up along with the rest of the parts that have been removed so that everything can be reassembled and tested before return to MNGR.

Speaking of testing. Word has it that there are plans to eventually build a spur to this location. This means that #7 could then have access to a 2+ mile "test track". Could be fun if more 'testing' could be done in front of a large audience with real paying customers.

Sounds like an interesting proposition. Anyone want to build a spur?

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:42 PM »
I do! But im to far away but if I lived in Maine then I would have come down and help you! :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:44:39 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
I do! But im to far away but if I lived in Maine then I would have come down and help you! :)

I hear airfare is quite cheap durring the work weekends (pre-and-post seasons. ;) )

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »
Cool I did not know that there was a airline service called WW&F Airlines! LOL!   :D :D :o :D :D

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
Sounds like an interesting proposition. Anyone want to build a spur?

Count me in!!!  I'd love to be there to see #7 come alive and travel on the beautiful WW&F mainline.

Basides, it gives me another excuse to drive up that way... ::)
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 07:57:47 AM »
A big step forward yesterday. Thanks to Mark Hall and his boom truck we were finally able to separate the boiler from #7. It took some last minute work with the cutting torch to cut a few more hidden bolts but then it came free and rose into the air. This morning it is scheduled to be on its way up to Alna where it will reside while Brian and Jason work on it. You will also see some of us up there at times to work on finishing removing tube ends and help put in new tubes.

Lots of pictures were taken yesterday and we hope to have some posted on NERail in the next few days.

We are very fortunate to have Jason and Brian work on one of our most beloved assets. It is certainly now in good hands.

Hans

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:02 AM »
That's GREAT news Hans!

Best Regards,
Glenn