Author Topic: B&SR 7  (Read 171430 times)

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR 7
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
Was the work being performed at cost plus? I am trying to understand why contractor costs would have gone way up other than the price of steel which is currently dropping.
I would of thought it would have been a straight lump sum with work considered out of scope performed at cost plus upon approval.

I looked on the website but I don't see any way to donate specificly to the the No. 7 restoration?  Is there a dedicated fund?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:34:31 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
I received a fundraising letter today from MNG which specifies that they are now turning their sights back on #7.  The letter claims they want to raise $100,000 for the engine's 100th birthday, then states they've already raised $75,000.  So are they trying to raise another $100K or just 25K?

Brett Goertemoeller

• Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »
Ok, I'm confused......another $100,000.00?  How much was in the original restricted fund?  Where did the $75,000.00 go?  Is that a number that they had on hand?  That would have bought a brand new boiler and then some.  We're getting into "full size" price ranges here, and I'm starting to get very confused.  What if I don't want a donation to go to "general stuff" and the steam crew isn't around?  I guess I have to ask the same question as Terry.  Is there a "restricted" fund for #7?  And are we getting into these prices because she now has to be part #230 compliant and have a full form 4 and 1472? 
How many train crew men does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, that the shop crew's job...

What do you call a train man who steps on a live 3rd rail?
A conducter!

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
Answers: Yes, we have spent $75,000 to date. Yes, there is a restricted fund for #7. Yes, knowing what we now know, we should have had a new boiler built. Our contractor has been working on a time and materials basis and we have had significant scope growth could not be detected until it had been taken apart. So, $100,000 is as follows: $50,000 to finish the boiler and $50,000 to reassemble the the engine. We are working on ways to possibly reduce the cost, but we have to set a target at this point based on contractor input.

Hope that answers everyone's questions. As we all know, steam is not cheap.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »
Thanks Hans.

Please add me to the chorus of those who would like to donate to the #7 dedicated fund.

A PayPal link on the MNG web site is found at:
http://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/donate/
If one specifies #7 Fund in the notes of the donation, is that sufficient?

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
Ed,

Yes, that is sufficient. We have a separate bank account for restricted funds. Within that account we keep categories (#7, car rebuilding, snow plow rebuilding, etc.). Everyone's donation is recorded on a spreadsheet that is used for deposits into that account. At all times we know who donated to what fund, when it occured and how much is in the account for the given project.

Thank you for your support. We have just completed our first weekend of Polar Express with great success (see this morning's Maine Sunday Telegram). #4 is doing a great job but it would be great to get #7 back on the point.

Happy Holidays,

Hans

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
Here's the link to the item Hans mentioned.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/with-magic-_2012-11-25.html

Brett Goertemoeller

• Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I wish you guys all the best raising the extra $100,000.00 for #7 and the estimated $3,000,000.00 for the move.  I hope that the costs for #7 can be rained in a little bit to help you out.  Congrats on the sucsess of the "polar express" trains, and the reported addition of all the new steam volunteers.  I honestly hope it all works out for the betterment of the collection. 
How many train crew men does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, that the shop crew's job...

What do you call a train man who steps on a live 3rd rail?
A conducter!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
Thanks Hansel. Please update us when you can.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Colby Miles

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
There in now a Facebook Page for Engine 7.

https://www.facebook.com/BridgtonSacoRiverEngine7Rebuild

"Use it up, Use it up, gonna use up all your steam" ~Bill Piche~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Test Hydro on #7??? I didn't think it was that far along. That's great.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
Ok. That makes more sense. Thanks
Mike

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
So how close have you come to raising the $100K?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
WANT TO HELP RAISE MONEY FOR #7 AND DRINK HOT CHOCOLATE AT THE SAME TIME?
Then I highly recommend riding The Polar Express!
Here's a video I took today!:
http://youtu.be/OwVCAl4gmyg
Another great Downeast Rails video! I would love to go visit, but the MNG website seem to discourage walk-ups and directs people to PortTix, which wants you to specify which day and train you want. I guess that makes some sense, as https://tickets.porttix.com/public/ shows Sunday's trains as all sold out (2:15 is cancelled).
Sorry to miss it, but glad to see that things are going well.

-John

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
WANT TO HELP RAISE MONEY FOR #7 AND DRINK HOT CHOCOLATE AT THE SAME TIME?
Then I highly recommend riding The Polar Express!
Here's a video I took today!:
http://youtu.be/OwVCAl4gmyg
Another great Downeast Rails video! I would love to go visit, but the MNG website seem to discourage walk-ups and directs people to PortTix, which wants you to specify which day and train you want. I guess that makes some sense, as https://tickets.porttix.com/public/ shows Sunday's trains as all sold out (2:15 is cancelled).
Sorry to miss it, but glad to see that things are going well.

-John

We've actually had good results with the pre-selling of tickets. Ridership on a per train basis is the best that it's been since we started doing the whole "Polar Express" thing 5 years ago, with a lot of trains sold out.

This is a lot better than we were doing with the "Santafest" trains, which seemed to have petered out with the general populace by 2007. Those were filled on an "as sold" basis, with trains running either on a departure schedule or whenever it sold out.

I started there in 2006, and they told me the difference in the Santafest crowds was night and day when they took away the track between Hancock St and Franklin St after 2005. A little bit of track goes a long way towards visibility, it seems.

One thing that I miss from the Santafest days was the addition of an open air car right behind the locomotive. Quite the brave few there were on that car, but at least there was a heater coil under the seat!
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me