Author Topic: Seen at an intersection  (Read 19704 times)

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Seen at an intersection
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »
Stopped at an intersection in Cumming, GA on my way to work Friday, I had a red pickup truck with camper cap cross in front of me. Of interest was the white lettering on the windows of the cap that read,
Bridgton
Save the Rails.

What does this mean. And who in the north Georgia area might be having such a sign. I'd like to meet them.
Jock Ellis
Cumming, GA

Jock Ellis

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Seen at an intersection
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't a red Suburban? Sounds like Bridgton Bill is travelling around down your way. He is the driving force of returning the (or atleast some) rail to Bridgton. He worked with MNGRR and others to get the Flanger moved there. He summers up here but winters down South.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »
 Hi Jock,

You saw "Bridgton" Bill Shelley's truck.  Bill is the fellow who is spearheading the group "Return of the Rails" and was a moving spirit behind the effort that saw the return of the B&SR flanger to Bridgton this past summer.  I'm sure he'd like to hear from you.

You can drop him an email at: bbs2u@roadrunner.com

Best Regards,
Glenn

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:53 AM »
It was red and it wasn't a car. Outside of that, I only really noticed the name Bridgton and the slogan. But I hope he lives around here. But why would anyone winter here? There isn't any snow.
Jock
Jock Ellis

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:45:21 AM »
...why would anyone winter here? There isn't any snow

EXACTLY!!  ;D

"Bridgton Bill" Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:07:20 PM »
Ok OK  You caught me on vacation down south. It is a red Suburban and it says " PLEASE SUPPORT - RETURN OF THE RAILS -  BRIDGTON, MAINE.  Maybe I will take this project country wide? In case anyone is interested, I had a painting done of #8 going along Hancock Pond in the Fall with all the colors. I had 50 16 X24 prints done of it and they are signed and numbered by the artist. They are for sale at the Chamber in Bridgton for 49.95 plus 6.00 shipping if needed and were done as a fund raiser for the project. Phone number for the Chamber is 1-207-647-3472 if you want to call and order one.This is the 1st in a series of four called The 4 seasons along the Bridgton and Saco River Railroad. The next one will be a summer scene with a train drifting into North Bridgton from Harrison circa 1900's. When I last talked with the Chamber there were only 12 prints left of #1. There are still some Return of the Rails t-shirts left if anyone is interested. I will be back in Maine next week for the train show at the Big E in Mass and then back to Bridgton to work on a few things for a week or so  then back south. Take Care All and I hope the new year is treating you well. Bridgton Bill
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:37:58 PM by Bridgton Bill »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 06:47:33 PM »
Looks like I'm headed for the Chamber, ASAP. Perhaps tomorrow.
Mike

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've got one of the prints.  It depicts a B&H passenger train running along the shore of Hancock Pond in Autumn.  A true Mainer would say its "wicked good".

Best Regards,
Glenn

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
Bill,
Will you have any of the prints with you at the train show?  It's a closer trip for me to the show than to the Bidgton Chamber office right now.
Duncan

"Bridgton Bill" Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »
Duncan   Sorry but I will not as I am coming from Atlanta to the show and then to Bridgton. You can call the Chamber and they will take your order and you can pay with a credit card or send them a check. The phone number is posted in my last posting. The shipping is 6.00. Thanks for your interest. Bridgton Bill

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
Thanks anyway Bill.  I hope we'll still get to chat at the show since I plan to be there regardless.
Duncan

"Bridgton Bill" Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
Duncan  I'll get a check from you at the show and send it out when I get to Bridgton if that works for you. Let me know and I'll get my cell # to ya. Bridgton Bill

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
Print #23/50 is now in my possesion. Great looking stuff. Now to get it framed and hang it where I can look at it easily. In front of the TV ought to work. I may not be the most popular guy in the house after that though.
Mike

"Bridgton Bill" Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
Thanks for the support Mike, it is appreciated ! Do you want the same # on the rest I'm getting done? The Summer one will be out around March 1st. I'll keep you all up to speed when it's time. And Again -THANKS! Bridgton Bill

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »
...why would anyone winter here? There isn't any snow

EXACTLY!!  ;D
But hang on it does snow here in Maine because then why does the WW&F have a snow plow. No snow means no plowing the tracks.  :o ::) ;) :) :D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.