Author Topic: Museum members & their live steamers *PICS*  (Read 17768 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Museum members & their live steamers *PICS*
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:05 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Museum members & their live steamers *PICS* has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
Some great pictures sent by life member Bob Hornsby. They were taken at Roy Spencer's track in Danvers, MA September 1986. Thanks, Bob!
Dwight Winkley with his Carl Purinton designed mogul. Dwight still owns this engine, which is coal fired and will operate at 100psi.

Richard Symmes running Roy Spencer's 4-4-0 on the swing-bridge across Roy's driveway!

Bob Hornsby building steam in his 4-4-2 Pennsy E-6 Atlantic.

A peek inside the cab...

Joe Fox replied:
Thanks for the photos of the live steamers Steve. Wouldn't it be great to have your own operating live steam train set at your house. I wish I had one, however, I am just as happy to go to the museum and work on a railroad with equipment that is 12 inches = a foot scale. Talk to you later.

ETSRRCo replied:
Maybe in about 10 years you can put me on there! I am starting my project now. Im in the design stages. A 4 3/4in gauge 4-6-0. (sorry guys three foot gauge but the next project will be a 7 1/2in gauge model of the 7 )

Joe Fox replied:
4 and 3/4 inch gauge is a high line railroad gauge right?

ETSRRCo replied:
Yeah. I chose that scale cause it will cost less then 7 1/2 in gauge. I am going to cheat a little and build the model at 1.5in scale. This will put three foot gauge at 4 1/2in. I will just make the model's gauge 4 3/4 in. I am doing this cause the conversions will be so much easier in 1.5in scale. The #7 will be around 65.5in long, 18in tall, 5 3/8 in drivers, 6in diameter boiler, 27in long tender and a wheel base of about 28.5in. Should be a nice model.
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Museum members & their live steamers *PICS*
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
Here is a photo with me and one of my live steam models.
This photo is also by my friend Bob Hornsby.
Keith

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »
Great looking engine, Keith. Do you happen to know if the original full-sized 3855 is preserved somewhere?

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »
Stephen,
There is one Great Northern Atlantic preserved, I believe at the Bressingham Gardens Center. It has a different style cab. This model is more or less a copy of a "One Off" Atlantic from the Great Northern, that was rebuilt by Sir Nigel Gresley after the GN became part of the London and North Eastern Rwy.
As this model has a number of freelance features....I chose to use a number that was never on one of these engines. This way the rivet counters will have fits, but too bad for them.
Keith

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:53:56 PM »
Here's another photo of a live steamer than lives with us here in Jefferson.
Keith

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »
Hi,  This is one of our engines.  Except for the bigger cab, so we can get in it, it is a copy of B&SR #7.  Since we sit in the coal bunker, we added an aux tender to carry the coal.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »
Tom,
Beautiful locomotive in a beautiful setting!
Keith

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
Tom, I love virtually visiting you site. You guys have done great work. Keep it up.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Thanks guys.  It is fun running these engines and having to lean out of the cab to hear how she is doing.
Here is a shot of me acting as hostler for #10.  I got to be an honorary fireman on Monson #4 in 2007 while visiting out there.  That was way cool.  Maybe someday on #9 or 10.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »
To view photos taken over the years at my 1 1/2" scale, 7 1/4" track at Ossipee, NH  look up.......
NERAIL, Click "view by railroad". Click letter "o". Click "Ossipee Central"

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
Its not as big as everyone elses but its steam. This is my Accucraft 2-6-0 modeled after Nevada Short Line #1 in the California Railway Museum. Its 1:20.3 scale, butane fired and runs at around 60psi.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Here is a shot of out coach.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
Three and three quarters inches would be just about perfect to model a 2-foot gauge in 1/8 scale. But the fellow who owns Little Engines told me once that about everyone he has known who built smaller than 7.5 (7.25) inches regretted their decisions later and started over.
Jock Ellis
Jock Ellis

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
The reason for that is simple.  Bigger is better!  ;D

But seriously, it''s more often that 7.5 (7.25) gauges are often much easier to find in a club setting.  That and the 'highlines' for the 3.75 gauge can be a beast to maintain.  The track on the ground for the 7.5 ect tends to stay where you put it much more often than the highline rails, with considerably less efort.  (I also find the larger loco nicer to sit on and drive) The only downside is that the engines weigh much more.  A 7.5 gauge model of a maine 2' steamer that i looked at wighed as much as #51 dry! :o
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
However....as an owner of several 3-1/2" gauge and 2-1/2" gauge locomotives, I can tell you there are a number of advantages to smaller engines! For one, you don't need to get down on your knees to see the fire, or oil around. You don't get a distorted view of the water glass. Try reading No. 10's water glass from the top of the station canopy and you get an idea of what you see from far above the glass on a ground level track.
On an elevated track, you don't sit with your knees in your ears, and when you want to service the engine, it is at a height just as if it were on your work bench at home. But best of all....when you are not running the locomotive, you can have it on display in your living room! And even more than that...a 3-1/2" gauge locomotive can be easily moved in the truck of even a compact car, and taken to club tracks literally anywhere in the world. A locomotive built to 7-1/4" gauge here in the North East, can not visit club track throught the rest of North America. By the same token, the 7-1/2" gauge fellows can't run here....nor can they run at tracks anywhere else on the world!
See the attached photo of a 2 - 1/2" gauge B&O Pacific, and try to tell me that fellow isn't having a ball. By the way...I saw that very locomotive hauling the engineer and about eight kids, and he was ripping right along too!
Keith