Author Topic: 1910 Days/Old Steamshovels  (Read 41447 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: 1910 Days/Old Steamshovels
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
I recently saw a photo of a Model T "depot hack" modified for three-foot gauge rail use and used to transport logging crews on the West Side Lumber Co. railroad in California. It looked pretty cool.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
Those early rail cars were pretty cool.  I've always wanted to ride on the "Casey Jones" Silverton Northern railcar.  That's like a big Depot Hack with a (I think 1912) Cadillac front and power train.  The SR&RL #2 rail car was always popular at the WW&F picnics.  Harry used to run that car as fast as it would go.  Visitors rode the train and then went over to board the car at Sheepscot.  Our new Model T is like that SR&RL open car, it should come in handy hauling visitors and track crew volunteers on our work weekends.  Just like the original two footers, one qualified operator can take it out. 

jockellis

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:14 AM »
Speaking of Albion, what are that group's plans for track? The work done so far, from the photos, looks really nice. Are they working southward? Or have volunteers there finished their track plans?
Jock Ellis
Cumming, GA

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
Last fall was my first time up to Albion. We started relaying the track from the south through the switch. That ended the day. We had to pick over the standard guage ties and cut them to the 5' length. I think this year we can make the station. A lot of tie cutting to do though. The old ties had rotted away.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 08:01:56 AM »
Jock,  Here's what I know about the property at Albion.  The station lot includes the grade for the main and sidings, it is owned by the Albion Historical Society.  The lot runs between the fence and hillside, road and woods culvert.  The snow plow siding has been rebuilt.  The next switch going South would be the engine house and turntable lead which hasn't been rebuilt.  You can still see the turntables' center bearing pedestal in the grass.  The track goes towards the woods and stops.  The grade continues southward.  I think the property line is at the culvert as you go into the woods.  About 1/2 mile of grade takes you to the next grade crossing.  I have been told that the W&Q owns that part of the grade.  If that is true, the Albion group could extend their track to have over a 1/2 mile mainline.  Bruce W. looked into this a few years ago.  That would be a nice ride on a railcar or handcar.

As with our group, having the volunteers and funds for the projects is the key to making it happen.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:19:55 AM by Stewart Rhine »